Benefits of Obtaining Dual Citizenship US/UK?

Old Aug 9th 2015, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

cordcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Benefits of Obtaining Dual Citizenship US/UK?

I'm American, living in London for the past 13 years, with a residential visa through my British spouse. I'm about to send in my application for UK citizenship and had a couple questions first.

I've noticed the newest form AN (07/15) now has employment history. How will my current lack of employment or employment history affect my application? My husband has a steady job and supports both of us.

Also wanted to ask about the question regarding bankruptcy. I was declared bankrupt in the US in '99, how will this affect my application? I still have outstanding federal student loans there and wondering if they will be alerted?

I initially wanted a UK passport so I could travel back and forth to the US without hassle, or if we ever wanted to relocate to the EU. Just thinking that it might be more trouble than it's worth and need advice.

I've already passed the life in the uk test and have all the paperwork together, maybe I'm over-thinking everything?
Old Aug 9th 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits of Obtaining Dual Citizenship US/UK?

Originally Posted by cordcat
I'm American, living in London for the past 13 years, with a residential visa through my British spouse. I'm about to send in my application for UK citizenship and had a couple questions first.
Do you mean you have ILR? ILR is needed before you can apply for British citizenship.

I've noticed the newest form AN (07/15) now has employment history. How will my current lack of employment or employment history affect my application? My husband has a steady job and supports both of us.
You being out of work doesn't matter. Just answer all the questions honestly.

Also wanted to ask about the question regarding bankruptcy. I was declared bankrupt in the US in '99, how will this affect my application?
6.1 of the Good Character requirment
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nnex_D_v02.pdf

I still have outstanding federal student loans there and wondering if they will be alerted?
Do you mean you haven't kept them up to date with your new details? I don't know what information the UK and US share.

I initially wanted a UK passport so I could travel back and forth to the US without hassle, or if we ever wanted to relocate to the EU. Just thinking that it might be more trouble than it's worth and need advice.
I thought US citizens are required to enter and leave the US on their US passports?

Last edited by formula; Aug 9th 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The link to the good character requirements that formula will cover your questions regarding bankruptcy and debt - basically unless there's been evidence of fraud or attempting to avoid repayments you should be fine.

If you hold a US passport, have ILR in the UK and have passed the Life in the UK test then you should be good to go.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

cordcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have ILR etc. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

But be aware, you still use your US passport to enter and leave the US (it's a legal requirement). You enter the UK on your UK passport upon arrival here.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your other question the benefits are myriad and will depend on your individual circumstances but a few choice ones include the right to vote, the ability to leave and then return to the UK whenever you wish (your ILR will expire after two years absence), immunity from any future changes in the immigration rules, the option to move to another EU country and, of course, being able to skip the non-EU line at Heathrow.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Getting dual citizenship was one of the best decisions I ever made. For me, personally, there were no downsides, and even if I could come up with a downside, the benefits are far greater.

I was never really hassled by an IO when coming back, but in 2014 I was fingerprinted, and my fingerprints didn't match the UKVI computer record. Luckily the IO used common sense, but that could have resulted in a LONG interrogation in a back room. The time before, no fingerprints, but a lot of questions about how I qualified for ILR, how long I had been married, how I met my husband....and on and on. Not fun after an overnight flight. I know they are doing their job, but at the time I was 66 years old, and we've been married for a LONG time.

It is such a different feeling to go through the UK/EU line; it was all automated at Manchester - didn't even speak to anyone! IMHO, go for it!