Bankruptcy UK spousal visa

Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

joshcas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy UK spousal visa

Hi all,

I am the sponsor for my wife, who has come to live with me in the UK on a spousal visa, with intentions of getting ILR and a UK passport after the visa has finished (after renewals)

I am considering going bankrupt, however I still earn enough money to meet the threshold.

Will going bankrupt affect her renewing her visa, and ultimately, getting ILR and her British citizen status after the 3~ years of living here?

I appreciate your replies.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankruptcy UK spousal visa

Originally Posted by joshcas
Hi all,

I am the sponsor for my wife, who has come to live with me in the UK on a spousal visa, with intentions of getting ILR and a UK passport after the visa has finished (after renewals)

I am considering going bankrupt, however I still earn enough money to meet the threshold.

Will going bankrupt affect her renewing her visa, and ultimately, getting ILR and her British citizen status after the 3~ years of living here?

I appreciate your replies.
Hi Josh - you and your wife will need to meet the same financial requirements at 2.5 years for FLR, and for IDL at 5 years. The only difference is both yours and your wife's income can be used for those two stages, whereas only yours is for the first one (Leave to Enter)

This may help with your bankruptcy query https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...of-bankruptcy/

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 10th 2017 at 7:15 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Josh - you and your wife will need to meet the same financial requirements at 2.5 years for FLR, and for IDL at 5 years. The only difference is both yours and your wife's income can be used for those two stages, whereas only yours is for the first one (Leave to Enter)

This may help with your bankruptcy query https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...of-bankruptcy/
Hi,

So as long as I continue to meet the financial requirements, bankruptcy won't change the outcome of the renewal, e.g it won't lead to them refusing the LTR or ILR?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Hi,

So as long as I continue to meet the financial requirements, bankruptcy won't change the outcome of the renewal, e.g it won't lead to them refusing the LTR or ILR?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy won't affect a spouse visa application. Bankruptcy can negatively affect an application for naturalisation but unless your wife is also declaring herself bankrupt this shouldn't pose a problem.