Wikiposts

Asylum

Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

EnglishSAGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Asylum

Hi,

Been awhile since i've been here but now it's practically full flow to try get back.

My backstory is highlighted in this thread

What's the option of my wife being able to apply for asylum? I really do believe SA is on the brink of falling apart due to the load shedding crisis. It's only a matter of time before the grid completely collapses and chaos erupts.

According the the gov.uk site

2. Eligibility

To be recognised as a refugee, you must:

be unable to go back to your own country (if you’re stateless, this is the country you usually live in) because you fear persecution
be unable to live safely in any part of your own country
have failed to get protection from authorities in your own country
Pretty sure the bolded items could apply?

Help...
Old Feb 5th 2015, 8:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asylum

I had to look this up since I'd never heard of it. There's a shortage of electric power supply in parts of the country? How come they don't beef up the generation capacity?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
I had to look this up since I'd never heard of it. There's a shortage of electric power supply in parts of the country? How come they don't beef up the generation capacity?
Long story short? They preferred to line their own pockets than take heed of the report issued in 1998 that said they need to build new power stations to keep up with the growth.

back to my question at hand though
Old Feb 5th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look at your "back story". Am I right in thinking you are looking at your wife claiming asylum because you can't meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I had a look at your "back story". Am I right in thinking you are looking at your wife claiming asylum because you can't meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa?
Yeah, with an exchange rate of close on 19:1, that works out to a fair whack of Rands!

I'm also aware of the SS route but would prefer not to have to uproot the kids multiple times.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this "option", as you put it, applies at all. And there's a lot more to the granting of asylum than the bolded lines you quoted: the criteria are not either/or.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 5th 2015 at 10:37 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In order to be eligible for asylum your wife would not be able to return to South Africa for fear of persecution. Being worried about electricity brownouts doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

If you do not wish to live about from your family for the six months required to meet the financial requirements for a spousal visa then going down the Surinder Singh route may be preferable.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In order to be eligible for asylum your wife would not be able to return to South Africa for fear of persecution. Being worried about electricity brownouts doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
And once the proverbial poo does hit the fan? Because it's pretty much guaranteed to happen...
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishSAGuy
And once the proverbial poo does hit the fan? Because it's pretty much guaranteed to happen...
Even if that was the case it wouldn't be considered persecution. There's ongoing wars in half a dozen Middle Eastern countries but that doesn't make people fleeing the violence eligible for asylum.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 12:19 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP , not likely, unless she can meet the eligibility, then the scrutiny - you both could always give it a go, I suppose?

take a read of this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...TATUS_V9_0.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...idance_v_5.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...dance_2013.pdf

There is this option, which has been done by a few

Surinder Singh : British Expat Wiki

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies...vement_low.pdf

including Angela V who went the route from SA with her husband + kids, through Ireland. Angela has a thread started on this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...so-far-804420/

Last edited by not2old; Feb 6th 2015 at 12:57 am.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Surinder Singh route is your best option and moving your children will not break them as opposed to the anarchy that you foresee in SA for your family.

Your chances with asylum are very slim.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't a true asylum seeker supposed to seek asylum in the nearest safe country ......... ?

Plenty of safe countries between South Africa and UK to apply for asylum.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:13 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Isn't a true asylum seeker supposed to seek asylum in the nearest safe country ......... ?

true & most traveling on a plane flush their passport down the lav - off the plane 'in gibberish... Asylum seeker' like they do when they land in the UK.

France is a choice for Asylum, then a long jump to the UK

OZ, is another place for Asylum

I'd second, or third that the SS route is best for the OP
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Botswana actually looks quite appealing.

Seriously however: from his postings here, OP is simply looking for a way to circumvent financial requirements for the spouse visa. He doesn't want to to go back to the UK ahead of his wife/family & get a job meeting the requirements, nor does he want to SS.

I'm hugely sympathetic to people stuck between a rock & a hard place because of the financial requirements, & I strongly feel the gubmint screwed up badly with them.

However the idea of even thinking about attempting to use the Geneva Convention in such a case, got my back up, a bit/a lot. I have been, & am, self-censoring...

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 7th 2015 at 6:07 am. Reason: Commas
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
...the idea of even thinking about attempting to use the Geneva Convention in such a case, got my back up, a bit/a lot. I have been, & am, self-censoring...
Me too. I know people can get desperate but there are other ways around this sort of thing.

Self censor is on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.