Applying for UK Visa outside UK versus within UK

Old May 2nd 2018, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Yuhikaru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for UK Visa outside UK versus within UK

Hi,

I am currently outside UK and is planning to apply for a Spouse VISA for myself as my wife is a British Citizen.

On the GOV.UK site, there are 2 options for online application. One is for outside UK and the other within UK.

My question is: Which one is faster and how long does it take to be approved?

I have a ticket to London this month and if it makes sense, I would prefer to apply when I'm in London physically but will it be easier? The online application has a lot of details to fill and I am kind of concerned I may just end up missing something. There is also this VAF4A-Appendix2 document which I have to fill up but I just can't figure where am I supposed to send to if I'm doing this online.

Thanks.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for UK Visa outside UK versus within UK

You cannot apply for a settlement spouse visa from within the UK, unless you are already in the UK on another visa such as student, ancestry, investment etc.

You can't apply if you are in the UK on visitor visa.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yuhikaru View Post
Hi,

I am currently outside UK and is planning to apply for a Spouse VISA for myself as my wife is a British Citizen.

On the GOV.UK site, there are 2 options for online application. One is for outside UK and the other within UK.

My question is: Which one is faster and how long does it take to be approved?

I have a ticket to London this month and if it makes sense, I would prefer to apply when I'm in London physically but will it be easier? The online application has a lot of details to fill and I am kind of concerned I may just end up missing something. There is also this VAF4A-Appendix2 document which I have to fill up but I just can't figure where am I supposed to send to if I'm doing this online.

Thanks.
You'll need to apply from your home country, or a country where you are legally a resident.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
You cannot apply for a settlement spouse visa from within the UK, unless you are already in the UK on another visa such as student, ancestry, investment etc.

You can't apply if you are in the UK on visitor visa.
Two times in the past 24 hours we've posted at exactly the same time, spooky!
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the clarification. This is really confusing because on the website, I was directed to this link: visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/family-routes

And it says I can apply online even if I were in UK.

I got to take both your advice.

I have some questions:

- Appendix2. How do I go about submitting that? There doesn't seem to be a place where I can submit it online...

- Decision letter and BRP. I already set where I would like to collect the BRP when it's approved. For the decision letter, how long will it take before it gets sent to me? I have a ticket for London on 20 May and if I apply the UK visa online now (from Hong Kong), will I get the decision letter in time before I depart?

- What's the 30 day vignette? Somewhere it says it is a sticker to be attached to my passport. If so, does that mean I have to wait for that before I can go to UK. I am using a Singapore passport and I think I can stay up to 6 months

Thanks for advice in advance!
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Two times in the past 24 hours we've posted at exactly the same time, spooky!
Great minds eh !!!!

It's raining here in California !!!! In May !!
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:27 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
Great minds eh !!!!

It's raining here in California !!!! In May !!
Eeek! Hope you weren't caught without a brolly. Weather is doing weird things these past few years.
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification. This is really confusing because on the website, I was directed to this link: visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/family-routes

I got to take both your advice.
Not as a visitor.

I have some questions:

- Appendix2. How do I go about submitting that? There doesn't seem to be a place where I can submit it online...
You print it off, complete it and include with the rest of your supporting documentation.

- Decision letter and BRP. I already set where I would like to collect the BRP when it's approved. For the decision letter, how long will it take before it gets sent to me? I have a ticket for London on 20 May and if I apply the UK visa online now (from Hong Kong), will I get the decision letter in time before I depart?
Are you a legal resident or visitor in Hong Kong? You will need to be a legal resident to make an application. If you're a visitor you'll need to return to Singapore to apply. It's very unlikely that your visa will be processed in such a short time period; only 31% are processed within 30 working days. As you'll be handing over your passport when you apply for your visa I would move your flight back.

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoff...sas/settlement

- What's the 30 day vignette? Somewhere it says it is a sticker to be attached to my passport. If so, does that mean I have to wait for that before I can go to UK. I am using a Singapore passport and I think I can stay up to 6 months

Thanks for advice in advance!
That's your entry visa. It will stuck into your passport and give you a 30 day window to enter the UK and collect your BRP.
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

!
and it also says:

Use this online application as an alternative to the FLR(M) and FLR(FP) paper forms. Apply to remain the UK .......

FLR(M) and FLR(FP) forms are used by folks who are already in the UK under other visas allowing them to live in the UK ......
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its all very confusing.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Hi,

This is a follow up to the earlier thread. I am at the stage where I want to apply for settlement visa but I am in UK currently on a visitor visa. So my intention (tickets already bought) is to go out of UK for 3-4 months and apply and then come back once my visa is approved. I am doing the application for myself and my baby with my wife (British citizen) as a sponsor.

I am going through the supporting documents and the forms to fill. For the forms, I saw there are the VAF4A and Appendix 2 which I need to fill up for myself and baby.

However, I also saw this statement:

"Form VAF4A is for people in North Korea only.
If you are coming to the UK from abroad to visit, work, study or join a family member or partner, you must apply online."

I am confused. I am not from North Korea. Do I then need VAF4A or is it saying I can only submit VAF4A online after I exit UK? My concern is application takes time and I want to fill up the physical form if possible first and once I arrive in Singapore, I can submit the form + all supporting documents right away.

I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are not from DPRK.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

You must apply online but you can start to complete the form while in the UK but save it and wait until you return to your home country before you submit it as you will have to book an appointment to enroll biometrics. Make sure you have all your supporting documents ready before you submit the application.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michali View Post
You must apply online but you can start to complete the form while in the UK but save it and wait until you return to your home country before you submit it as you will have to book an appointment to enroll biometrics. Make sure you have all your supporting documents ready before you submit the application.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I think during online application, there comes a point where I have to make payment for IHS or NHS? (I'm not sure). Is it true that I should go ahead with that and then save my application before submitting my documents after I depart from the UK?