Applying for UK Spousal visa, when in the UK

Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

LindseyAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for UK Spousal visa, when in the UK

I have looked at the other threads pertaining to UK Spousal visas and can't really find an answer to my question. My husband is a US citizen

My husband and I returned to the UK (no visa), when my child was born back in 1997, we were actually not even married at the time. We were going to stay for 6 months and return to the US, but stayed 18 months due to my Grandmother having Alzheimers and us taking care of her. My husband (not then) went to an office in Middlesbrough and had his passport stamped for permission to work, which he then did. We married later on. We did have over $15,000 at the time though.

We have been back in the US now for over 11 years and we are returning to the UK for good. I am returning with my daughter in a few months and our plan was for my husband to stay and work and save money and then come later on. My question is, do you really have to apply for the spousal visa prior to going to the UK, or can you do what we did before and do this in the UK? My husband had to stop working her for the last 3 years due to my child being diagnosed with a long term illness, and us not having health insurance at the time, the only option was to get the government childrens insurance, so we had to be under the income guideline to get it. So we have no savings etc. Myself and daughter are going back and staying with my parents and then I will look for work.

any info would be appreciated
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for UK Spousal visa, when in the UK

Your husband cannot switch from tourist to spouse in-country. Rules were changed back in 2003, or so.

Have you become a US citizen or if you only have a green card, are you aware of the consequences of abandoning your resident status.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

No, I am not a US citizen, and my Greencard expires this December and I have no intentions of renewing it. Not interested in returning here and don't see the point of getting a US citizenship, especially as it would entail me filing a US tax return every year. As I understand it though, if I renew the Greencard, wouldn't I have to keep coming in to the country every now and again to keep it.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Also, what consequences of not keeping my resident status, would affect me in returning to the UK? Maybe I don't know of some of them