Applying or UK passport renewal with foreign passport

Old May 7th 2019, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Applying or UK passport renewal with foreign passport

So it appears the UK government is now asking for any uncancelled foreign passports to also be sent in with passport applications in addition to British passports. Apparently, this is just so that they can use them as proof of ID and to check entries to other countries that have been made in foreign passports. As foreign passports belong to the issuing foreign country, I personally think we should not have to be made to send them in also as they have no bearing on a UKC having their British passport renewed.

As many of us who have returned also have citizenship of other countries has anyone applied for their British passport renewal and not sent their foreign passports in? I'm particularly interested in anyone that was born in a foreign country and hasn't sent their foreign passport in.
Old May 7th 2019, 1:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying or UK passport renewal with foreign passport

Many have forgot or ‘forgot’; you’ll still get your British passport.
Old May 7th 2019, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Many have forgot or ‘forgot’; you’ll still get your British passport.
I did, genuinely, having not checked the detailed instructions before sending off my renewal application, and only realizing a few months later while reading threads on BE. My new passport had long-since been sent to me, less than two weeks after I sent in the application.

FWIW for those who remember, they usually send a photocopy of their foreign passport, which is what I would done if I had read the instructions.

I was born in the UK.
Old May 7th 2019, 2:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I did, genuinely, having not checked the detailed instructions before sending off my renewal application, and only realizing a few months later while reading threads on BE. My new passport had long-since been sent to me, less than two weeks after I sent in the application.

FWIW for those who remember, they usually send a photocopy of their foreign passport, which is what I would done if I had read the instructions.

I was born in the UK.
I had you in mind for the former
Old May 7th 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if there is a way they can check and see if you do have another, foreign passport? If you are born outside of the UK which you have to state, then they may look possibly??
Old May 7th 2019, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I wonder if there is a way they can check and see if you do have another, foreign passport? If you are born outside of the UK which you have to state, then they may look possibly?
(i) I doubt it
(ii) your private data is substantially protected by most governments whether you live in a western democracy or a tin-pot dictatorship. I think that it is safe to say that no government is going to offer up data of its own citizens on a blanket basis. The scope for pretty much unlimited numbers of fraudulent passport applications would be too risky
(iii) if you're a British citizen then you have a right to a British passports and the UK Passport Office would be on extremely shaky ground if they started trying to deny or withhold passports to people who they suspected were undisclosed citizens of other countries.
(iv) there are countries that don't allow dual citizenship/passports, such as India, so there are many people who are born in a country of which they are not a citizen and/or don't have access to a passport from.
(v) many countries do not grant citizenship based on place of birth, or at least restrict such rights, including the UK, so there are many people who have no ability to obtain a passport that matches their country of birth, even if they wanted to.

So, in summary, there are many reasons why someone wouldn't have a passport that lines up with their country of birth, and I am 99.9% certain the UK Passport Office isn't looking.

Further to my earlier post, I had a current US passport when I sent for my new UK passport, and as noted previously got my new UK passport back very quickly despite entirely forgetting to send my US passort or even a photocopy of it. In fact I had even used my US passport to enter the UK on at least two previous occasions, so somewhere buried in British government customs and immigration data archives there are records of me having, and using a US passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2019 at 5:37 pm.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a way they can check and see if you do have another, foreign passport? If you are born outside of the UK which you have to state, then they may look possibly??
I'm just being nosy, but is there a reason why you don't want to provide your foreign passport? I know everyone's different, but I'd rather just provide it and then I wouldn't have to wonder if I'd get caught out.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:33 pm

I would add to Pulaski’s comments that just because you are entitled to another passport doesn’t mean you hold one and even if you had in the past doesn’t mean you do now. It could be expired, lost, stolen or being held by a foreign embassy for a visa application. HMPO would like to see your other passports but they have no way of knowing whether you actually hold one at any given time.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would add to Pulaski’s comments that just because you are entitled to another passport doesn’t mean you hold one and even if you had in the past doesn’t mean you do now. It could be expired, lost, stolen or being held by a foreign embassy for a visa application. HMPO would like to see your other passports but they have no way of knowing whether you actually hold one at any given time.
I had most of those in mind when I started drafting my post #6, but was getting bored of adding more points by the time I got to # (v).
Old May 7th 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I had all those in mind when I started my previous post, but was getting bored of adding more points by the time I got to # (v).
I am happy to share your burden
Old May 7th 2019, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just don't like to idea of sending off the foreign passport when it's so difficult to replace it if it were to get lost. I really don't fancy having to jump through hoops and go to the embassy not to mention paying for a replacement if it were to go missing. I just really don't see the need why they want to see it when it has no bearing on getting a UK passport when I'm a British national.
Old May 7th 2019, 6:56 pm

I just don't like to idea of sending off the foreign passport …...
So don't send it! You have been given this advice several times already.

Send a photocopy if you like, ….. I would have done if I had remembered.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:12 am
Just Joined

KasiaKZN is an unknown quantity at this point

So it appears the UK government is now asking for any uncancelled foreign passports to also be sent in with passport applications in addition to British passports. Apparently, this is just so that they can use them as proof of ID and to check entries to other countries that have been made in foreign passports. As foreign passports belong to the issuing foreign country, I personally think we should not have to be made to send them in also as they have no bearing on a UKC having their British passport renewed.

As many of us who have returned also have citizenship of other countries has anyone applied for their British passport renewal and not sent their foreign passports in? I'm particularly interested in anyone that was born in a foreign country and hasn't sent their foreign passport in.
Why would you not send it? My kids have triple nationality (lawfully) and I have sent both of their other passports when applying for their BP's, British Gov doesn't mind people with multiple citizenships, if you are not sending your other passport it may seem as you are trying to hide something. If applying from outside of UK you are permitted to send full photocopy of your other passport and besides HMPO uses courier to send your docs back to you so loosing your docs or supporting documents isn't very likely

Last edited by KasiaKZN; May 8th 2019 at 4:14 am.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:36 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in UK, and gained USA citizenship and passport 5 years ago. I renewed my UK passport this year without sending original or copy of the USA one on principle.. No issue. Maybe different if you were born elsewhere and or naturalized british.
Old May 8th 2019, 5:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KasiaKZN
Why would you not send it? My kids have triple nationality (lawfully) and I have sent both of their other passports when applying for their BP's, British Gov doesn't mind people with multiple citizenships, if you are not sending your other passport it may seem as you are trying to hide something. If applying from outside of UK you are permitted to send full photocopy of your other passport and besides HMPO uses courier to send your docs back to you so loosing your docs or supporting documents isn't very likely
I never send my Aus passport when renewing my UK one (twice now). Simple reaso? In Australia you need to produce photo ID to breathe, eat, accept courier deliveries, make online alcohol purchases for delivery, get a new job, cross the road, and basically just exist. Last week even the drier delivering my groceries needed to see photo ID. They are anal about it. My only photo ID, as a non-driver, is my passport. Therefore if I send both passports away at the same time I am very restricted as to what I can do in my normal life. I would never send mine, they dont need it. And they won't think I am trying to hide anything because I have never told the UK government even possess an Aus passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.