Applying for a UK passport for my Canadian-born daughter

Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

sonnyjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a UK passport for my Canadian-born daughter

*Apologies admin in advance if I have this in the wrong forum...it's not really immigration/visa related but feel free to move it if I should have posted there (or elsewhere)*

I moved to Toronto six years ago having previously been born and having lived in the UK (Kent) all my life. During these six years I met and married a Canadian and got my PR a couple of years back. We just had our first daughter and have applied for her Canadian passport, however, we'd also like her to have a UK passport and dual nationality.

We've completed all the forms etc but the UK passport office seems to be asking for original copies of my passport, our marriage certificate, and our daughter's full birth certificate in order to process. I have to travel a fair bit with work so sending my passport to the UK to be processed for a length of time is a bit of a non-starter...just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this or potential alternative solutions?
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a UK passport for my Canadian-born daughter

Originally Posted by sonnyjames
*Apologies admin in advance if I have this in the wrong forum...it's not really immigration/visa related but feel free to move it if I should have posted there (or elsewhere)*

I moved to Toronto six years ago having previously been born and having lived in the UK (Kent) all my life. During these six years I met and married a Canadian and got my PR a couple of years back. We just had our first daughter and have applied for her Canadian passport, however, we'd also like her to have a UK passport and dual nationality.

We've completed all the forms etc but the UK passport office seems to be asking for original copies of my passport, our marriage certificate, and our daughter's full birth certificate in order to process. I have to travel a fair bit with work so sending my passport to the UK to be processed for a length of time is a bit of a non-starter...just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this or potential alternative solutions?
They're not asking for your passport. They're asking for a copy of your passport. A certified (notarised) copy of your passport, marriage certificate and your daughter's birth certificate. You make a photocopy (colour if possible), take it to a person able to certify (there should be a list, but usually it's a doctor, lawyer, JP, etc), and send the copies with the application.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
They're not asking for your passport. They're asking for a copy of your passport. A certified (notarised) copy of your passport, marriage certificate and your daughter's birth certificate. You make a photocopy (colour if possible), take it to a person able to certify (there should be a list, but usually it's a doctor, lawyer, JP, etc), and send the copies with the application.

Ah - that would certainly make life easier! Sorry, probably a dumb question, just haven't been in this situation before so thought I'd seek the guidance of those who might Thanks!
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonnyjames

I went through this about 2 years ago. Make sure in terms of the marriage certificate (I'm assuming your wife is a Canadian citizen only and you got married in Canada) you send the provincially issued one that you probably don't even recall seeing or signing. It is on legal sized paper. The certificate the church we got married in issued was about 1/2 that size. The British passport office aren't looking for that.

Same goes with the birth certificate which is on legal size paper and I believe either yours or your wife's signature is on it and you probably never paid for it and just got the paper credit card size version most people keep.

I mistakenly sent what I thought were the correct documents, got an email within a week letting me know what I'd done wrong, I ordered the correct ones from the provincial records office in Thunder Bay, and once I got those back posted it all to the Durham passport office and about a week or so later after they had received them the passports arrived in Ottawa via Durham, Heathrow, Cincinnatti, Montreal, Ottawa.

Canadian people I spoke to about weren't aware of these 'official' birth certficate and wedding certificate documents.

I did send my original of my birth certficate, made copies etc and took photos of it and paid a bit extra for insurance on the package. Somewhere, in the depths of the archives system in the UK, I'm sure they could give me a duplicate copy of a 50 odd year old document with my father's signature and occupation but not my mothers.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Now...will it be a red or blue one your daughter gets!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rawsalad
Now...will it be a red or blue one your daughter gets!
haha! Without opening a can of Brexit worms, let's just say I'm not inclined to wait