Applying for spouse visa to UK

Old May 11th 2013, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

JL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Applying for spouse visa to UK

Hi everyone! I'm so nervous. This is second time to apply. First time in 2011 was de facto which was denied because I basically did not read the guidance. This time checks and double checks. I'm only stuck on one item. My intro letter as applicant. 25 years ago my creative writing was brilliant, now I don't even know how to begin, what to include, what to leave out!!!!! I've googled myself senseless. Can anyone give some guidance? Regards!!

Old May 12th 2013, 8:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for spouse visa to UK

Originally Posted by JL0924
Hi everyone! I'm so nervous. This is second time to apply. First time in 2011 was de facto which was denied because I basically did not read the guidance. This time checks and double checks. I'm only stuck on one item. My intro letter as applicant. 25 years ago my creative writing was brilliant, now I don't even know how to begin, what to include, what to leave out!!!!! I've googled myself senseless. Can anyone give some guidance? Regards!!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Another poster in the Europe Section with the same sort of question was advised to post on the "Returning to the UK" Section of the Forum. You should give more personal info, including the "one item", and some one returning to the UK with a US spouse may know what to advise.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, you need to send in a few inches worth of documents but put all the salient facts in the cover letter - if you don't they often miss stuff as they are under a lot of time pressure. Proof of relationship and your ability to support each other are the main things. For instance, I pointed out that we had identical visa stamps going back six years for visits to various countries without actually listing the dates - pointing them in the right direction without going into huge details. Same with income and house ownership. Don't expect much intelligence but they have to tick all their bureaucratic boxes so they need the wedge of paperwork. You should be able to get the covering letter on one page. BTW they should have indicated why you failed previously and will need to address that.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Another poster in the Europe Section with the same sort of question was advised to post on the "Returning to the UK" Section of the Forum. You should give more personal info, including the "one item", and some one returning to the UK with a US spouse may know what to advise.
I'll move the thread to the visa section of the UK forum
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

You should tell them about your reasons for applying. It sounds simplistic but you really don't need to over think this part. You know why you want to move to the UK as a couple, they don't.

Also you should explain, as britishbull suggested, that you realize why you were refused previously and now meet all the requirements (you could list them here one by one as this shows that you have done your research, know the rules and generally adds to the credibility of your application) and have included all the relevant evidence with your application.
Without knowing more about your specific situation, it's difficult to advise further but think of it this way, it's your opportunity to explain anything which you think they may question about your application.

It is even more important to include your sponsors letter in support of your application. From what I have read, some prefer to provide all the information above in the sponsors letter but with our application I chose to include a letter from each of us. The crux of it really, is that you, as a couple, desire to move to the UK together to settle there permanently. You know the rules, you meet the requirements and you have provided evidence of this.

Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

JL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Applying for spouse visa to UK

Received my visa 6/1 in my hand after my package went all around the world before the company could actually track it down. Was give the generic email stating a decision has been made on may 28 ( my birthday ). So I've been doing the happy dance for 24 hours now!!!

Thanks for all the advice and for forums like this that kept my spirits up and gave good guidance. I hope to always "pay it forward"

Regards!!!!!!!

Last edited by JL0924; Jun 2nd 2013 at 4:36 pm. Reason: Autocorrect failure
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Received my visa 6/1 in my hand ...
Very happy to hear the good news!
Congratulations!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Stormjervil is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Applying for spouse visa to UK

ok I need any kind of help possible. I have been in the UK since March 2011, I am Married to a London boy, that's what he calls himself lol. We got married in the states. I am a USA citizen. I want to get a spouse visa but no matter where I look I get totally lost on what to do, how much it's going to cost and where to go for it. My friend told me to go to the Citizens Advice place and they told me they couldn't help because of how inbebt it is. (sorry about spelling)

Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need, where to find it, how much it costs for it to be filed. I'm near Liverpool office. after my heart attack 2 months ago things feel even harder to search out. I keep getting told to stop stressing out but I really want to get this done.

thank you for any help offered! and sorry if this is the wrong spot to post
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormjervil
ok I need any kind of help possible. I have been in the UK since March 2011, I am Married to a London boy, that's what he calls himself lol. We got married in the states. I am a USA citizen. I want to get a spouse visa but no matter where I look I get totally lost on what to do, how much it's going to cost and where to go for it. My friend told me to go to the Citizens Advice place and they told me they couldn't help because of how inbebt it is. (sorry about spelling)

Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need, where to find it, how much it costs for it to be filed. I'm near Liverpool office. after my heart attack 2 months ago things feel even harder to search out. I keep getting told to stop stressing out but I really want to get this done.

On what basis are you currently residing in the UK?
In other words, which visa do you currently hold?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by larrabee
On what basis are you currently residing in the UK?
In other words, which visa do you currently hold?
Exactly larrabee, it all depends on which visa you hold now? Have you registered your marriage in the UK? I'm currently in the US, married UK citizen and applied for spouse visa, but required me to apply from home country, but I wasn't in the UK and haven't been in a while.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Stormjervil is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Applying for spouse visa to UK

the first stamp on the visa couldn't be figured out what it was, but we figured it had to be a visiting visa since I didn't fill out anything but the normal paper I ever filled out. but a couple of weeks ago we did a day trip from Dover to France so now it is stamped visitor? holiday? I've been here since March 1 last year. I have a bank account here now.

we've been married for 2 yrs, we got married in the states. I've been coming over to the UK for the last 6 yrs to visit for two weeks each time.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

the first stamp on the visa couldn't be figured out what it was, but we figured it had to be a visiting visa since I didn't fill out anything but the normal paper I ever filled out. but a couple of weeks ago we did a day trip from Dover to France so now it is stamped visitor? holiday? I've been here since March 1 last year. I have a bank account here now.

we've been married for 2 yrs, we got married in the states. I've been coming over to the UK for the last 6 yrs to visit for two weeks each time.
I apologize, but I am finding it difficult to understand your situation as you make three different, apparently contradictory, statements about your time spent in the UK.
The reason that this is relevant is that if you have been in the UK continuously since March 2011 or even March 2012 on a visitors visa then you have overtayed and would need to consult a lawyer regarding your position.
You do mention though visiting for 2 weeks at a time and being admitted to the UK again after a recent trip to Europe so perhaps this is more likely to be the case.

Assuming then that you have no illegal immigration history. You must return to the US and apply for a spouse visa from there. This can not be done from the UK if you are here on a visitors visa.

Take a look at the BE Wiki as it explains in simple terms the requirements which you and your husband need to meet.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK

Then study the UKBA website very carefully, this is a good page to start on then take it from there.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/

The financial requirements are explained in detail here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

This is probably enough to get you started!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds as though you are in the UK as a visitor. If you really have been in the UK since March 2011 you have overstayed and are not legally resident in the UK.

To obtain a spouse visa in order to remain permanently in the UK you need to return to the US and apply for one from there.

Another responder has provided lots of links as to what the process is and what financial requirements the British sponsor needs.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:59 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Unless you have missed telling us something it sounds like you are here as a visitor but rather oddly if you came in March last year and then just popped over to France "a couple of weeks ago" you were an overstayer when you left and I am surprised they let you back in!!! Perhaps you have missed some important details.

"The first stamp on the visa couldn't be figured out "What visa do/did you have.

"Citizens Advice place and they told me they couldn't help because of how inbebt it is". What is this?

Last edited by pennylessinindia; Jun 4th 2013 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia

"Citizens Advice place and they told me they couldn't help because of how inbebt it is". What is this?
I was thinking in depth maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.