British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Applying for Spouse Visa from NYC - ASC or VFS? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/applying-spouse-visa-nyc-asc-vfs-934273/)

Viking2013 Aug 11th 2020 2:39 pm

Applying for Spouse Visa from NYC - ASC or VFS?

Hi there,

Our plan is to submit my wife's Spouse Visa application in September.
We do not require a priority service and do not want to pay for the VFS option.

Can we use the ASC in New York?
Also, has anyone has experience of using this service and bypassing VFS?

Thanks in advance

SanDiegogirl Aug 11th 2020 4:53 pm

Re: Applying for Spouse Visa from NYC - ASC or VFS?

Originally Posted by Viking2013 (Post 12895299)
Hi there,

Thanks in advance

Isn't the ASC the USCIS Application Support Centre i.e applications for visas to enter the US?

The VFS is the office for applying for visas to enter the UK

You have to use the VFS.

Looking back on your posts I think you are referring to the following UK site:

https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal

which is used by UK citizens to book appointments, upload documents

????

Viking2013 Aug 11th 2020 5:57 pm

I was looking at this page - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa

It gives an option for an ASC (which is a US Immigration office). After you attend the ASC you the mail your documents to the VFS office.

I was told that using the VFS you have to buy a "bronze" package at approx 500GBP, but if you use the ASC you do not have to pay this amount?

Viking2013 Aug 11th 2020 6:01 pm

I just found this (below) which confirms the first part of my question. My other question is about the actual service received from the ASC in comparison to the VFS (Premium Service). Is it worth it?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e9156d1ab1.jpg

SanDiegogirl Aug 11th 2020 6:36 pm

Sorry, don;t know what the difference is between premium service with VFS and service with ASC.

Presumbly VFS will be quicker ????

BritInParis Aug 11th 2020 11:06 pm

Whether you give your biometrics at a VFS PAC or a USCIS ASC you can’t bypass VFS - they’re the third party service provider contracted by the Home Office for US-based applicants - but you don’t have to pay for any of their additional services, including the bronze package, unless you wish to.

Viking2013 Aug 12th 2020 12:59 am

Great - thanks for clarifying.

Redsoxfan Sep 7th 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Viking2013 (Post 12895299)
Hi there,

Thanks in advance

hi Viking2013 were you able to book for your wife’s biometric appointment? I tried it today and it’s saying none available. Unless I use premium service packages $$$$ from vfs global.

Viking2013 Sep 7th 2020 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Redsoxfan (Post 12906986)
hi Viking2013 were you able to book for your wife’s biometric appointment? I tried it today and it’s saying none available. Unless I use premium service packages $$$$ from vfs global.

We have been waiting on a few documents before we upload and submit - so no we haven't tried to book her at the Manhattan ASC. I looks like the Bronze VFS package is $410. My preference was the ASC route however I would begrudgingly pay $410 for an appointment. Am I correct in saying the required package is the Bronze one at $410?

Redsoxfan Sep 7th 2020 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Viking2013 (Post 12907019)
We have been waiting on a few documents before we upload and submit - so no we haven't tried to book her at the Manhattan ASC. I looks like the Bronze VFS package is $410. My preference was the ASC route however I would begrudgingly pay $410 for an appointment. Am I correct in saying the required package is the Bronze one at $410?

it only gave me the option of 2000usd and 1200usd packages to book a biometric. I would also heartbreakingly pay 410 but those are the only 2 selections the website took me to when I chose vfs as my Center. You have to finish your application first before it directs you to the site to see your options. That’s just based on my experience.

Redsoxfan Sep 7th 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12895522)
Whether you give your biometrics at a VFS PAC or a USCIS ASC you can’t bypass VFS - they’re the third party service provider contracted by the Home Office for US-based applicants - but you don’t have to pay for any of their additional services, including the bronze package, unless you wish to.

hi BritinParis, I remember months ago when vfs started opening up during Covid there was a thread, you mentioned there were available appointments and now all of a sudden there’s none, what’s happened with this? Any thoughts?

Viking2013 Sep 11th 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Redsoxfan ....did you manage to get an ASC appointment or did you opt for a VFS package? If so, which one did you purchase? Thanks

Redsoxfan Sep 11th 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Viking2013 (Post 12908742)
Hi Redsoxfan ....did you manage to get an ASC appointment or did you opt for a VFS package? If so, which one did you purchase? Thanks

Yes! It’s open now for October appointments just don’t choose manhattan ASC they still don’t have any. I also opt for their $150 package as to lessen my stress and worry. Let me know how you get on. Good luck!

Viking2013 Sep 24th 2020 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Redsoxfan (Post 12908911)
Yes! It’s open now for October appointments just don’t choose manhattan ASC they still don’t have any. I also opt for their $150 package as to lessen my stress and worry. Let me know how you get on. Good luck!

​​​Redsoxfan - hope you are well.

Thanks for the heads up! We were able to book an ASC (outside of Manhattan) for an Oct date.

A couple of questions:

1) The VFS website is "wobbly" to say the least (non-technical term!). It would not let me proceed without purchasing their Doc Upload service for $100. It says you can upload docs manually before the appointment and get a refund - however it will not allow me to do this..arghh! I am worried about clicking the wrong button and cancelling the appointment. Worst case my wife will take the documents to the appointment and use the service paid for - however I would prefer not to take this route. Any thoughts/ experience here?

2) What exactly (other than our docs to scan, in our case) does my wife need to take to the biometrics? I am a little confused, especially around the UPS shipping label.

Thanks again for your advice!