Applying for spouse visa

Old Mar 7th 2021, 10:33 am
Just Joined

AS020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for spouse visa

Hi everyone,

I will apply for a spouse visa after I get married in the UK and would change my name. I was wondering if I could apply for the visa with my new name but submit my passport with my old name? Is it allowed or do I have to get a new passport with my new name before applying for the visa?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 7th 2021, 12:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for spouse visa

Your visa will match the name on your passport so you’ll need to update your passport first.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your visa will match the name on your passport so you’ll need to update your passport first.
Thanks! I thought that was the case but the problem is I won't have enough time to get a new passport with my new name first and then apply for the visa. So I was wondering what can be done in such a case? Can I change my name on the visa after, once I've got the new passport?
Old Mar 7th 2021, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Policy reader is an unknown quantity at this point

In addition to what Brit in Paris has said, adopting married name is not mandatory which you can safely postpone until the normality arrive. In my view, unless somebody isn't in any hurry the change of name can easily be planned very close to the intended date of application/extension provided the new passport is duly updated. By doing so, a separate application for change of name can be skipped and the deadline to update the new name within 3 months would also be indirectly met.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AS020
Thanks! I thought that was the case but the problem is I won't have enough time to get a new passport with my new name first and then apply for the visa. So I was wondering what can be done in such a case? Can I change my name on the visa after, once I've got the new passport?
Why won’t there be enough time? Are you planning on marrying in the UK on a fiancée visa? Which passport will you be changing?
Old Mar 9th 2021, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Policy reader
In addition to what Brit in Paris has said, adopting married name is not mandatory which you can safely postpone until the normality arrive. In my view, unless somebody isn't in any hurry the change of name can easily be planned very close to the intended date of application/extension provided the new passport is duly updated. By doing so, a separate application for change of name can be skipped and the deadline to update the new name within 3 months would also be indirectly met.

yes, I'm not in a hurry so I can delay the official change of name and just use my married name unofficially for now till it's time to renew the visa.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Why won’t there be enough time? Are you planning on marrying in the UK on a fiancée visa? Which passport will you be changing?

Yes, I'm on a fiancée visa and have finally got a date for our wedding after it being cancelled twice because of the lockdown. After our wedding, I won't even have a full month left on the visa and it's only enough time to submit flr-m application. I'll be changing my Indian passport which might take around a month for name change.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Policy reader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AS020
yes, I'm not in a hurry so I can delay the official change of name and just use my married name unofficially for now till it's time to renew the visa.
Not sure what you mean from unofficial because your printed names on passport and BRP card will be treated as set on stone for any purpose require inputting the name such as on utility bills, tenancy agreement, mortgage, driving licence even the travel tickets. Simply carrying on using your maiden names until the next extension will arrive while getting ready the passport with amended name.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Policy reader
Not sure what you mean from unofficial because your printed names on passport and BRP card will be treated as set on stone for any purpose require inputting the name such as on utility bills, tenancy agreement, mortgage, driving licence even the travel tickets. Simply carrying on using your maiden names until the next extension will arrive while getting ready the passport with amended name.
Unofficially, as in, in saying but not in papers. I think I'll carry on with maiden name officially and change it once it's time for the visa extension. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old Jun 12th 2021, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

DZDspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BritIOnparis

I am applying for a spouse extension .I have 3 children With my spouse and i have this question

Do you have any children of 18 years old or under?
Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2021, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DZDspouse
Hi BritIOnparis

I am applying for a spouse extension .I have 3 children With my spouse and i have this question

Do you have any children of 18 years old or under?
Thanks

Well do you..... ?