Applying for spousal visa from South Africa

Old Jul 27th 2016, 9:16 am
Counting the days.

Theresaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for spousal visa from South Africa

Hi. I am a newby to the forum. Well, new to any forum. I was almost in tears when I came across the site, after only reading horror stories on other sites, I was so relieved.
I am in the planning stages of applying for my spousal visa. Must be the most stressful thing I have ever encountered. So I will still have loads of questions. My intro one is this. Is it necessary to use an immigration agent for a successful visa application? Or is it possible for a successful outcome if I do it myself? The fees they charge is money I can use better else where.
Thank you in advance
Old Jul 27th 2016, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for spousal visa from South Africa

Originally Posted by Theresaw
Hi. I am a newby to the forum. Well, new to any forum. I was almost in tears when I came across the site, after only reading horror stories on other sites, I was so relieved.
I am in the planning stages of applying for my spousal visa. Must be the most stressful thing I have ever encountered. So I will still have loads of questions. My intro one is this. Is it necessary to use an immigration agent for a successful visa application? Or is it possible for a successful outcome if I do it myself? The fees they charge is money I can use better else where.
Thank you in advance
What makes you think you need an agent to make the application?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 10:38 am
Counting the days.

Hi. From what I have read on various of the Migration experts websites and other forums they claim to have all the knowledge needed for a successful visa application. That made me feel there might be certain specifics I might be missing. But after reading through posts on here it sounds as if it is something I can do, as long as I follow the advice and official guidelines.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to do it yourself. Print off the application form and info notes then make yourself a few files to slot in each item like, personal info, financial, accommodation and start collecting what you need in advance. Fill out the form as a test run as well. You will also have to do a TB test and English Language test coming from SA. Pop back here for any questions. Good luck. It was very stressful for me as well but I got wonderful advice and support from this group!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

An "agent" would be the worst possible choice. If you anticipate particular problems with your visa application, such as you have a criminal record, mental health issues, or a drug habit, then a lawyer would be the appropriate source of assistance.

But if you have no such problems, and can read and complete the relatively straightforward application forms, then there is absolutely no reason to retain a lawyer for a simple spouse visa application, and indeed we hear, here on BE from time to time, of lawyers who have over-complicated, delayed, or generally loused-up a remarkably ordinary spouse visa application.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If your application is straightforward i.e the British sponsor can fulfill the financial, accommodation and relationship criteria then an "agent"/immigration lawyer is not required.

You should read up on the application process for settlement here:

:https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

and how to fulfill the financial requirements here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

You do need to get all your 'ducks in a row' and have all the documentation asked for.

What is your own situation?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:02 pm
Counting the days.

Hi again. Thank you for the responses. My husband is a British citizen, I am a SA citizen. We've been married for 34 years. He went back to UK in February and obviously I am to follow. The financial requirements have already been met via the minimum salary route. We just have to wait now for the 6 month period to pass. My biggest concern is the documentation to prove a 34 year marriage. Past lease agreements are long gone, so basically will have to rely on photos going back all those years. I have more recent lease agreements and documents to prove our relationship. There are a few other issues, but nothing I cant sort over time. Im sure I will still be posting often, as new mind blowing things come up. The positive encouragement from here has already set my mind at ease. Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... My biggest concern is the documentation to prove a 34 year marriage. Past lease agreements are long gone, so basically will have to rely on photos going back all those years. I have more recent lease agreements and documents to prove our relationship. ....
"Married" is "married", you don't have to prove the length of your relationship. You could have married last week and still submit a potentially valid visa application.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again. Thank you for the responses. My husband is a British citizen, I am a SA citizen. We've been married for 34 years. He went back to UK in February and obviously I am to follow. The financial requirements have already been met via the minimum salary route. We just have to wait now for the 6 month period to pass. My biggest concern is the documentation to prove a 34 year marriage. Past lease agreements are long gone, so basically will have to rely on photos going back all those years. I have more recent lease agreements and documents to prove our relationship. There are a few other issues, but nothing I cant sort over time. Im sure I will still be posting often, as new mind blowing things come up. The positive encouragement from here has already set my mind at ease. Thanks
No need to stress about proving your relationship. Your marriage certificate is the most important document, if you add the more recent documents you have, plus any evidence of shared finances (if you have it), and a simple letter from your sponsor supporting your application (I also did one for me as the non-Brit), then you'll be fine.

For the letter, we included things like when and where we met each other, contact we'd had with each others families, stuff like that. I know this is a stressful process but try not to worry, any questions you have at all can be asked here. If you've met the financial, accommodation and relationship criteria, and don't have an adverse immigration history, you'll be fine.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Married" is "married", you don't have to prove the length of your relationship. You could have married last week and still submit a potentially valid visa application.
I always go overboard
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:35 pm
Counting the days.

No such thing as overboard. Any info is valuable to me. My stress levels were in danger zone. Comes from reading too many horror stories on other forums. Might sound silly, but the letters you refer to, to whom did you address them.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pity South Africa was booted out of the Commonwealth otherwise you would have Right of Abode in the UK.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:03 pm
Concierge

No such thing as overboard. Any info is valuable to me. My stress levels were in danger zone. Comes from reading too many horror stories on other forums. Might sound silly, but the letters you refer to, to whom did you address them.
Doesn't sound silly at all. I fell back on the old To Whom It May Concern. Covers everyone

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about it all. You obviously have a good brain, and now you have a whole forum to help you. You'll be fine!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's a pity South Africa was booted out of the Commonwealth otherwise you would have Right of Abode in the UK.
South Africa was readmitted in 1994, doesn't that help?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:20 pm
Counting the days.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
South Africa was readmitted in 1994, doesn't that help?
No. Unfortunately not. We fall under the category of having to go through all the red tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.