Applying online for a child passport

Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:51 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying online for a child passport

Hi,

I need some advice on applying for a first passport for my twins please. Has anyone applied for a British passport online for their children or someone else?

Ideally, I'd like to apply online as it will be easier but I'm not sure of what evidence I'll be required to send. I will have one original copy(s) of my proofs so would it be viable to send (as I presume the only thing you send are the proofs required) for both of my twins? I was advised I may have to complete a passport application for one of my twins then await the return of my proofs, then submit again for my other child. I want to get it sorted for both at the same time.

Any pointers much appreciated.

FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:45 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 44
Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

You can complete applications at the same time. When you send off required documents as advised during your application process and after paying, you can then put all application numbers on the front of the one envelope so the passport office are aware it is a multiple/family application. I recently did this myself and my two sons, so three in the one envelope(all first time passport apps), they were all received, actioned, approved and passports sent at the same time/days.
Britishbitz is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:37 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by Britishbitz View Post
You can complete applications at the same time. When you send off required documents as advised during your application process and after paying, you can then put all application numbers on the front of the one envelope so the passport office are aware it is a multiple/family application. I recently did this myself and my two sons, so three in the one envelope(all first time passport apps), they were all received, actioned, approved and passports sent at the same time/days.
Sorry, just to confirm you completed an online application for your children? Do you have to include anything else in the envelope (with the application numbers on the envelope as you did) besides the evidence to confirm you've processed it online?

I was more worried as I had been misinformed that we'd need to send off our marriage certificate which we were hesitant to as it would be very difficult to replace if it got lost. I didn't get any constructive advice from the Post Office, so I called the Passport Office and they said as my passport start date is before my twins' birth, and I'm British born, then sending their birth certificates should suffice.

FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2019, 12:10 am
  #4  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,594
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Where did you get married?
BritInParis is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2019, 3:46 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 44
Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer View Post
Sorry, just to confirm you completed an online application for your children? Do you have to include anything else in the envelope (with the application numbers on the envelope as you did) besides the evidence to confirm you've processed it online?

I was more worried as I had been misinformed that we'd need to send off our marriage certificate which we were hesitant to as it would be very difficult to replace if it got lost. I didn't get any constructive advice from the Post Office, so I called the Passport Office and they said as my passport start date is before my twins' birth, and I'm British born, then sending their birth certificates should suffice.

For my situation I had to print and get the Photos (identity form) verified by a counter signatory, and then just also had to send Kids birth certificates for theirs and mine for my own application plus a Letter from their dad stating he is fine with me applying/staying in the UK (as we are seperated) that wasn't in the list of docs to send, but was told by staff at HMPO online chat when I asked the question as I was aware there are the anti kidnapping laws etc for some countries. That was all I had to send and it said it would take 6 weeks being first timers, but only took just over 2

If the passport office said just to send your Birth Certificate then I would trust them, they know what they are doing, besides when you apply online it will tell you what documents they want to ease your mind.

ETA: Also note documents are sent back to you separately not in the same envelope as your passport and if god forbid they did get lost they will reimburse you to get them replaced (but not when you send it to the passport office only from them to you, it's in their FAQ's somewhere) They are pretty secure with what they do and who they use for mail though, with full tracking once despatched so I wouldn't worry too much You could also get a certified copy of your marriage certificate for you to keep, just in case so if it did get lost you would have back up until a new one arrived, as Passport office can only accept original documents.

Last edited by Britishbitz; Oct 18th 2019 at 3:51 am.
Britishbitz is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:41 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Where did you get married?
Pakistan

Originally Posted by Britishbitz View Post
You could also get a certified copy of your marriage certificate for you to keep, just in case so if it did get lost you would have back up until a new one arrived, as Passport office can only accept original documents.
I think we should be okay with documents being returned if it's as secure as you say, plus it might be difficult obtaining a marriage certificate from Pakistan if we had to!
FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2019, 1:17 pm
  #7  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,594
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Were your children born in the UK or Pakistan?
BritInParis is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 7:36 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Were your children born in the UK or Pakistan?
UK

I've completed one application for the twins and it gives a whole host of evidence including birth certificates for maternal and paternal grandparents(!) - I don't think they have them.

But I'll call to confirm with the PO, but sure the chap said sending mine and the children's birth certificates would suffice.
FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:37 am
  #9  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,594
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer View Post
UK

I've completed one application for the twins and it gives a whole host of evidence including birth certificates for maternal and paternal grandparents(!) - I don't think they have them.

But I'll call to confirm with the PO, but sure the chap said sending mine and the children's birth certificates would suffice.
If you were born in the UK after 1983 then HMPO will want to understand your parents’ citizenship status as well.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 12:22 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
If you were born in the UK after 1983 then HMPO will want to understand your parents’ citizenship status as well.
Yes, that's what I've gleaned from a phone conversation with them a few moments ago. They basically said as the application is based on my British status to send as much information as possible, including my parents' details (passport number) but not a chance they will have a marriage certificate or naturalisation certificate coming into the UK towards the end of 1970s. Hoping the passport numbers will suffice.

She explained how to submit all applications in one envelope as Britishbitz suggested , but recommended a covering letter to go with it to explain the applications are linked. Any templates that might be out there would be most helpful.
FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:35 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 44
Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer View Post
Yes, that's what I've gleaned from a phone conversation with them a few moments ago. They basically said as the application is based on my British status to send as much information as possible, including my parents' details (passport number) but not a chance they will have a marriage certificate or naturalisation certificate coming into the UK towards the end of 1970s. Hoping the passport numbers will suffice.

She explained how to submit all applications in one envelope as Britishbitz suggested , but recommended a covering letter to go with it to explain the applications are linked. Any templates that might be out there would be most helpful.

Yes sorry I forgot to mention Cover Letter.

I just wrote, To whom it may concern at the HMPO, Please find enclosed <whatever required documents were> as a family application, yadda yadda. Yours Sincerely <my name? followed by my contact info should you have any questions/concerns etc. Doesn't need to be anything fancy
Britishbitz is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:28 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Thank you for the advice, two child passports successfully received just awaiting the return of the birth certificates that we had to send alongside a letter that was advised above.

I did find the online application SO much easier than the paper form, and their online chat team just as helpful as the one customer service advisor I spoke on the phone to.
FloydPalmer is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 12:56 pm
  #13  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 16,594
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Excellent news
BritInParis is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2019, 8:23 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 44
Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying online for a child passport

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer View Post
Thank you for the advice, two child passports successfully received just awaiting the return of the birth certificates that we had to send alongside a letter that was advised above.

I did find the online application SO much easier than the paper form, and their online chat team just as helpful as the one customer service advisor I spoke on the phone to.
Great news! Yes their online app/chat is great
Britishbitz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.