Applying for first time UK passport for under 16

Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default Applying for first time UK passport for under 16

Planning on moving back to the UK in the summer and our newborn twins arrived 2 weeks ago, working on their passport applications online, the process has changed since I applied for our 2 older kids passports through the mail in the summer of 2013.

I am British by birth (born in UK in 1987 to 2 British by birth parents)

I'm stuck on the seemingly simple question....

Required information Was the applicant a British national at birth? Help on this
Yes No
I'm probably overthinking this but, my initial reaction is YES but then I think well hang on all of my kids are citizens by descent, so NO they are not nationals but citizens.

I don't want to put no and mess things up :S

Last edited by Wilto; Mar 15th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:48 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for first time UK passport for under 16

Your kids are BRITISH CITIZENS NOT NATIONALS

British citizen by descent is a person born outside the United Kingdom who has acquired British citizenship because a parent was born or naturalised in the United Kingdom. It also includes certain persons who have acquired British citizenship by registration.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 automatically acquires British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen other than by descent at the time of the birth

My son was born (in china) and his passport application is sent off it should say British citizen on it when it arrives (if it doesn't... my god there will be hell to pay lol)

Relax you'll be fine.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Your kids are BRITISH CITIZENS NOT NATIONALS
Except that all British citizens are also British nationals (a generic non-statutory term covering all forms of British nationality).
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:49 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that all British citizens are also British nationals (a generic non-statutory term covering all forms of British nationality).
Yup, but I'm on about the 'passport' not the citizen it self.

which i think the OP is confused about.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

So would you answer yes or no to that question? I am appyling for my 4 month old baby soon and saw that question too! I filled in the online application early just to make sure I had all required info to hand ready for when I actually apply..
Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Without seeing the specifics of the form, I would expect the answer to be yes, if the child automatically acquired British citizenship at birth. As opposed to by Home Office registration or some other process of law later on.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

All British citizens are British nationals but not all British nationals are British citizens.