Applying for child's UK passport

Old Nov 7th 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Roshd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for child's UK passport

Hi Everyone,

Recently we had a new baby born boy. I am Yemeni and my wife is a British Citizen. And we want to apply for a British passport for him as long as his mother, my wife is a British Citizen.
She was born in the UK in November 1982. We are now in Saudi Arabia and my son born in Saudi Arabia 3 months ago.

Can someone please guide us on how to apply. and I would really appreciate if you can help us by showing in PDF file or anything similar to it.

We have tried to start the application form online, but we do not know whether to start applying it with mother's name details or directly start by the son's name and details.

Hope you got my point.

Thanks
Roshd
Old Nov 7th 2018, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Applying for child's UK passport

Here's the page you're after: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passp...child-passport just follow the instructions on the online application.

You will need to send your wife's original birth certificate as part of the application. Good luck!
Old Nov 7th 2018, 11:31 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/help-completing-the-online-passport-application-from-outside-the-uk

if you follow that link, there's a pdf guide to help you.

remember that your child is the applicant, so all information should relate to them unless otherwise stated.

should be fairly straightforward. I've done a first passport and renewal for both my kids from abroad. The only annoying thing is the cost.

one thing to watch out for though is that because your child is British by descent, they will want to see an original long form of the mother's birth certificate. This will show the mother's parents' names and place of birth.

it's seven years ago now since I did all this, but at that time for a first passport, you had to go to the embassy by appointment and get the British parent's birth certificate verified. This is the most important thing as it shows the child has a right to be British.

this may have changed now though. As you work your way through the online application it will no doubt tell you what happens next.

They say allow six weeks, but in my experience it's more like three.

one final thing, and I know it's a long way off, but make sure that your kids understand that if they have a child with a non British national, and the child is born outside the UK, the child has no claim to be British. British by descent only travels one generation!
Old Nov 7th 2018, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nonthaburi,
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I believe that you are in Saudi Arabia Buraydah, I am currently in the eastern province, Khobar city. If you still you are still here, can I contact you if it is ok? Because I am really confused on how I start online.
I contacted the UK Embassy, they told me straightly ( Application and payment are online ). I have all the documents required for the baby and wife's original birth certificate and other legal documents with originals.

So when I start online, the first questions be like ( Are you applying from the UK? ) Yes or No... Have you had a UK passport before? Yes or No.. The answers and details as if the child is filling or the mother?
Old Nov 7th 2018, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Frezzer,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Really appreciated. I will check the site.
I have got all the required documents and originals.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 4:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you start from the correct website: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Your child is the applicant so answer the questions from their point of view.

So long as your wife’s parents were not diplomats posted to the UK then she will be a British citizen by birth and your children will be British by descent. You’ll need your wife’s full British birth certificate. If you don’t have a copy and she was born in England or Wales then you can order a copy from the General Register Office. You want the certificate; not a PDF.

General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 7th 2018 at 4:55 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 7:22 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roshd
Hi Nonthaburi,
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I believe that you are in Saudi Arabia Buraydah, I am currently in the eastern province, Khobar city. If you still you are still here, can I contact you if it is ok? Because I am really confused on how I start online.
I contacted the UK Embassy, they told me straightly ( Application and payment are online ). I have all the documents required for the baby and wife's original birth certificate and other legal documents with originals.

So when I start online, the first questions be like ( Are you applying from the UK? ) Yes or No... Have you had a UK passport before? Yes or No.. The answers and details as if the child is filling or the mother?
Yeah, unfortunately I'm still in Buraydah but....
.....pm me and we can talk on the phone.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,
Thanks a lot.

So you mean I should start answering the questions as if my baby son is answering the questions. Because in the beginning, the first question is Where are you applying from? But the second question Did you have a British passport before? so the answer must be No, right? because we are applying for the first time new baby's passport. and if I answer with Yes that means wrong answer.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 9:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritInParis,
Thanks a lot.

So you mean I should start answering the questions as if my baby son is answering the questions. Because in the beginning, the first question is Where are you applying from? But the second question Did you have a British passport before? so the answer must be No, right? because we are applying for the first time new baby's passport. and if I answer with Yes that means wrong answer.
That’s correct.
Old Nov 11th 2018, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That’s correct.
Thank you so much.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:11 am
Just Joined

That’s correct.
Hi BritInParis,

Quick question, please
In the parents' details, there is Father or Parent 2's British passport (if known / applicable) Passport Number
I do not have a British passport only the mother. Should I put my Yemeni passport details? as long as I do not have a British passport. Because there is no option to choose.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:00 am

Hi BritInParis,

Quick question, please
In the parents' details, there is Father or Parent 2's British passport (if known / applicable) Passport Number
I do not have a British passport only the mother. Should I put my Yemeni passport details? as long as I do not have a British passport. Because there is no option to choose.
If you don’t have a British passport then leave it blank.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

If you don’t have a British passport then leave it blank.
Hi Brit in Paris, I have two questions. Daughter (11) born abroad previously held British passport ( British father. non British mother), and current has unexpired US passport. Moving back urgently to UK, and want to renew her passport after arrival. Do she need to send (a) original US passport with application, or copy or copy certified by Post Office or ? or not required ? (2) Does she need to send translated birth certificate ( from Latin America). Passport originally was issued through British consulate at birth.

thanks.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth
Hi Brit in Paris, I have two questions. Daughter (11) born abroad previously held British passport ( British father. non British mother), and current has unexpired US passport. Moving back urgently to UK, and want to renew her passport after arrival. Do she need to send (a) original US passport with application, or copy or copy certified by Post Office or ? or not required ? (2) Does she need to send translated birth certificate ( from Latin America). Passport originally was issued through British consulate at birth.

thanks.
Do you still have her expired British passport? Presumably it expired five to six years ago?
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still have her expired British passport? Presumably it expired five to six years ago?
Yes .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.