Apply for Visa before or after Holidays?

Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

dramahuman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for Visa before or after Holidays?

Given the recent delays (on top of usual summer delay), I have been considering applying ASAP (possibly November right after we are married).

However, I've also been leaning toward still waiting until January to apply as originally planned, in hopes that everything is back on track (perhaps waiting times not so scarily close to 120 days).

Someone else on here had pointed out too the advantages to perhaps waiting if everything does kind of get back on a faster schedule.

So, what would you all do? Please feel free to move this/delete and inform me where to put this, if this thread is in the wrong place.

[Also! I don't know if it makes a difference (dare I say more of a hassle?) that I was on a tier 4 visa, and I left before it ended as I had to do an interruption of studies and eventually drop out (due to family health issues). Don't know if they'll see it as a more convoluted case because of that.]

Last edited by dramahuman; Sep 18th 2017 at 6:33 pm. Reason: missed something
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for Visa before or after Holidays?

Some background information would be helpful.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Some background information would be helpful.
Sorry about that, I was a bit rushed at work and should have just held off until I was home to give something a bit better to answer to.

I'm getting married in November, in the US. We were hoping to apply for visas in January, to give us enough time to double check we had all the paperwork and such sorted (he meets the financial requirements with his salary).

I went to Uni in Edinburgh for a Master's program 2015-2016, met him while in school, came back after my courses had ended and discontinued my thesis work (dad's health was failing). I let immigration and my school both know, and I left before my visa had ended.

Flash forward, we've been engaged for a year, had two visits, and he has been working at his new job for nearly a year.

[I was separated from my ex-husband and finally got a divorce in August (there was a huge delay due to paperwork) but have not even lived in the same state or city as him for over four years, and he's had a girlfriend the whole time, so I'm not too worried about proving my relationship to my Fiance as we've got plenty of evidence for that.]

We thought the visa process might take a month or two, didn't pay attention and realize it could be quite a bit longer.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:35 am
Just Joined

I...I am so sorry for how scattered brain everything has been in this thread. My apologies everyone!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 8:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would stick to your schedule as planned. One would hope that by Christmas processing times will be getting back on track. If you're based in the US and he's settled in the UK then there's no advantage to waiting to apply. You might as well get in the queue.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would stick to your schedule as planned. One would hope that by Christmas processing times will be getting back on track. If you're based in the US and he's settled in the UK then there's no advantage to waiting to apply. You might as well get in the queue.
Thanks so much!