apply UK passport from Hong Kong for baby

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

ce88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default apply UK passport from Hong Kong for baby

Hi guys,
need a bit of help/advice on this. my daughter was born recently in Hong Kong. both myself and wife have UK Passports by naturalisation, so I m looking to apply for the baby passport for the little girl.

After looking through the website, it's not entirely clear what some of the supporting documents I m suppose to send.

It seems application from Hong Kong is classified under Group 2 application from outside of UK. the problems I have is with the following parts:

1) Table A:Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence
My kid is only a few weeks old and certainly don't have any photo ID or proof of address, what do I need to send in for this? I see that for Group 3 application there are specific requirements for children, but it's not mentioned on Group 2's Table A.

2) Table C:The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, or any non-British passport held.

The little one was born in Hong Kong, so certainly don't have a passport of entrance! what should I do with this?

I tried calling the passport application helpline and the lady ask me to send in my passport and all my documents along with the application, but that seems rather odd thing to do as I won't be able to travel for 2 months if I do that.

Any one had the pleasure of dealing with baby passport application from hong kong lately? any advice?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apply UK passport from Hong Kong for baby

Originally Posted by ce88
Hi guys,
need a bit of help/advice on this. my daughter was born recently in Hong Kong. both myself and wife have UK Passports by naturalisation, so I m looking to apply for the baby passport for the little girl.

After looking through the website, it's not entirely clear what some of the supporting documents I m suppose to send.

It seems application from Hong Kong is classified under Group 2 application from outside of UK. the problems I have is with the following parts:

1) Table A:Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence
My kid is only a few weeks old and certainly don't have any photo ID or proof of address, what do I need to send in for this? I see that for Group 3 application there are specific requirements for children, but it's not mentioned on Group 2's Table A.

2) Table C:The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, or any non-British passport held.

The little one was born in Hong Kong, so certainly don't have a passport of entrance! what should I do with this?

I tried calling the passport application helpline and the lady ask me to send in my passport and all my documents along with the application, but that seems rather odd thing to do as I won't be able to travel for 2 months if I do that.

Any one had the pleasure of dealing with baby passport application from hong kong lately? any advice?
You can't provide what you don't have. Having said that, is the child entitled to a Hong Kong passport/ID card? You may wish to apply for that first.

Another option is to register your child's birth with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and obtain a consular birth certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You certainly don't need to send in your passports - only your naturalisation certificates.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

ce88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can't provide what you don't have. Having said that, is the child entitled to a Hong Kong passport/ID card? You may wish to apply for that first.

Another option is to register your child's birth with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and obtain a consular birth certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You certainly don't need to send in your passports - only your naturalisation certificates.
I m going to get the consular birth certificate for sure, under Table C, it says "If the birth certificate you provide has not been issued by a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate showing parents’ details.." then need to provide parents naturalisation documents. so I take it if I get the consular birth certificate, I won't need to provide naturalisation certificates?

Then really, all the documents I have for the baby's passport application will be the consular birth certificate, which seems a bit too few/easy.

I can try to get the child HK Passport first, but that seems like a rather long route. Also, I m not entirely sure if every child born in HK will be eligible for HK passport, and HK ID card is only for children age 11 and above as far as I was told.

Any expats in HK care to share some experience in this please?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ce88
I m going to get the consular birth certificate for sure, under Table C, it says "If the birth certificate you provide has not been issued by a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate showing parents’ details.." then need to provide parents naturalisation documents. so I take it if I get the consular birth certificate, I won't need to provide naturalisation certificates?
You'll need to provide your naturalisation certificates for the consular birth certificate but you won't need to provide them again for the passport application.

Then really, all the documents I have for the baby's passport application will be the consular birth certificate, which seems a bit too few/easy.
The consular birth certificate will be sufficient evidence of your child's British citizenship but you'll need most of the same documents as the passport application to apply for the consular birth certificate.

I can try to get the child HK Passport first, but that seems like a rather long route. Also, I m not entirely sure if every child born in HK will be eligible for HK passport, and HK ID card is only for children age 11 and above as far as I was told.

Any expats in HK care to share some experience in this please?
It will depend on your citizenship and/or immigration status in Hong Kong.

GovHK: Verification of Eligibility for a Permanent Identity Card

If you naturalised as British citizens then what citizenship did you hold before? Are you still citizens of that country now?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:38 am
Just Joined

rayzin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ce88

Did you manage to get the passport? - If so... what documents did you have to send?

Thanks