Wikiposts

Application for "family of a settled person" visa

Old May 17th 2015, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

kwanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Application for "family of a settled person" visa

Hi, I'm planning to apply for a "family of a settled person" visa and would really appreciate help on some queries. The visa cost is high so I would like to clear my doubts before actually applying. Read some horror stories on this forum and am now very nervous about it...

My bf (who is a British citizen) and I met in Singapore while he was working there. He has recently returned to the UK as he had resigned from his job. I'm planning to apply for a "family of a settled person" visa as his fiancee so that I can join him in the UK. He is currently looking for a job. Can we meet the financial requirement once he is able to get a job that pays more than £18,600 a year or does he have to produce 6 months of payslips before I can apply?

I was initially planning to use cash savings to meet the financial requirement but I understand that there needs to be at least £62,400 in savings held for the past 6 months for that to work. I only reached that amount in March 2015 i.e. less than 6 months. Are they strict about the 6 months rule or as long as I can prove that I have the savings now, they will accept it?

As I'm a Singaporean, I have money in the Central Provident Fund. I can only withdraw this if I decide to give up my Singapore citizenship, which I can't do until I can get British citizenship. Can this be used to meet the financial requirement?

Re the English Language requirement, it says on the application form that I can meet this requirement if I have a degree taught in English. Can someone pls confirm this? I have a Degree in Electrical Engineering from the National University of Singapore and it was taught in English. How can I prove this?

My bf is currently going through a divorce and it will take about 6 months before the divorce is finalised. Will this be a problem? We are planning to attach the divorce papers.

The application form also asks for time and venue of our wedding. We have not fixed a date nor booked a venue as we are still waiting for his divorce to be finalised. Any advice on how I should fill up this section? I know I can apply after his divorce is finalised but it's a long time for us to be apart considering the visa application might take months.

Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm very confused by the guidelines and would like to have a clearer idea before I apply.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for "family of a settled person" visa

He can't sponsor you for any visa until he has been in his job for 6 months and is either earning 18,600 GBP per annum and/or has savings to make up shortfall. Yes, he needs 6 months of payslips, bank account records, employment letter/contract etc.

Yes, you need to hold savings/investments for 6 months.

If you can't withdraw money and place it under your control (as what is referred to in the financial document as readily available cash) then you can't use it.

If your boyfriend is currently married then he cannot sponsor you as fiance etc until his divorce comes through.

Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old May 18th 2015, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

kwanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Application for "family of a settled person" visa

@sandiegogirl Thanks a lot for your reply. I read through the guidelines more in detail and understand that he can sponsor me if he's able to get a job in the UK which pays at least 18,600 GBP within 3 months of his return, if he's able to show that he earned more than 18,600 GBP in the last 12 months in his previous job.

The problem now is the impending divorce. We were planning to attach his divorce papers and state the date which the divorce will be finalised (within 6 months of the application date) and perhaps a booking for a wedding venue to show that we will be married within the 6 months.

Has anyone tried to apply for a fiance visa while one of the parties is going through a divorce? Could you pls share your experience?