Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Anyone who has gone through the UFK application from Canada, please help!?

Anyone who has gone through the UFK application from Canada, please help!?

Old Sep 24th 2019, 3:08 am
Just Joined

nayner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone who has gone through the UFK application from Canada, please help!?

I will try to keep my question as simple as possible as this application has made my mind a jumbled mess!

Here is my family background:
- Father born in London, UK in 1955 to his british parents (my grandparents)
- Father moved to Canada when he was around 7-9yrs old with his family and has not returned to England since
- Fathers last British passport expired when he was around 15yrs old. Has never been renewed since
- My mother is Canadian and my parents were not married at the time of my birth in 1995 in Canada

So, I am applying for my UK citizenship from Canada through my father. I am in the midst of completing the UKF form online as it says "If you do not live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory, you can apply online."

However; I see a discrepancy on the UK govt site regarding where I send supporting documents such as my passport, birth certificate, my fathers expired UK passport etc..., or if I even send them at all!? One webpage says "You do not need to send your documents anywhere. You can either:
  • upload copies into the online service (which I have not seen an option to I must add)
  • have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment"
BUT, once I near the end of my online application, it says the complete opposite, stating "You should send your documents within 20 working days so that we can make a decision within 6 months. If you do not send your documents within 20 working days your application may be rejected. We will contact you regarding your biometric enrolment once your documents have been received."

This is overwhelming me and confusing me more than it probably should. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Old Sep 24th 2019, 4:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone who has gone through the UFK application from Canada, please help!?

Originally Posted by nayner
I will try to keep my question as simple as possible as this application has made my mind a jumbled mess!

Here is my family background:
- Father born in London, UK in 1955 to his british parents (my grandparents)
- Father moved to Canada when he was around 7-9yrs old with his family and has not returned to England since
- Fathers last British passport expired when he was around 15yrs old. Has never been renewed since
- My mother is Canadian and my parents were not married at the time of my birth in 1995 in Canada

So, I am applying for my UK citizenship from Canada through my father. I am in the midst of completing the UKF form online as it says "If you do not live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory, you can apply online."

However; I see a discrepancy on the UK govt site regarding where I send supporting documents such as my passport, birth certificate, my fathers expired UK passport etc..., or if I even send them at all!? One webpage says "You do not need to send your documents anywhere. You can either:
  • upload copies into the online service (which I have not seen an option to I must add)
  • have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment"
BUT, once I near the end of my online application, it says the complete opposite, stating "You should send your documents within 20 working days so that we can make a decision within 6 months. If you do not send your documents within 20 working days your application may be rejected. We will contact you regarding your biometric enrolment once your documents have been received."

This is overwhelming me and confusing me more than it probably should. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Have you completed the application? I would think that once you have submitted it you should get a link to where you can upload your documents. You should scan and upload them within 20 days. You don't need to physically pist anything.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Anyone who has gone through the UFK application from Canada, please help!?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have you completed the application? I would think that once you have submitted it you should get a link to where you can upload your documents. You should scan and upload them within 20 days. You don't need to physically pist anything.
No I haven't completed the application yet. I mean, I've done the whole application I just haven't gone as far as submitting and paying for it; as I've been pondering this for a while! The conflicting information I've read has made me apprehensive. At the end of my online application, just before I hit submit and continue to pay, it says "You should send your documents within 20 working days so that we can make a decision within 6 months." So, I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should just go ahead and pay and hope there's further instruction afterwards.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 5:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No I haven't completed the application yet. I mean, I've done the whole application I just haven't gone as far as submitting and paying for it; as I've been pondering this for a while! The conflicting information I've read has made me apprehensive. At the end of my online application, just before I hit submit and continue to pay, it says "You should send your documents within 20 working days so that we can make a decision within 6 months." So, I just don't know what to do. Maybe I should just go ahead and pay and hope there's further instruction afterwards.
That is what I would do. Once you have submitted it you should be able to upload copies. If not then as a last resort you can post/courier them to the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did your parents ever marry?
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Did your parents ever marry?
No they never married. I’m using the UKF application
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No they never married. I’m using the UKF application
In that case follow Dorothy’s advice. You can’t upload your supporting documents until the application has been submitted.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In that case follow Dorothy’s advice. You can’t upload your supporting documents until the application has been submitted.
Oh that’s great news then! So I really won’t have to send any of my documents over to the UK? That’s a relief!
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

So I have one more question which is also a bit trivial but want to make sure anyways:

my fathers country of birth is obviously the UK, however is his country of nationality the UK or Canada seeing as he was living in Canada when I was born?
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:43 pm
Still alive

So I have one more question which is also a bit trivial but want to make sure anyways:

my fathers country of birth is obviously the UK, however is his country of nationality the UK or Canada seeing as he was living in Canada when I was born?
His nationality is British. I'm a dual Canadian and Australian citizen living in Australia. However any time I have anything to do with Canadian immigration (I sponsored my husband) my nationality is Canadian.