Anyone applying for UK Spouse Visa from Hong Kong?

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

speechbubble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone applying for UK Spouse Visa from Hong Kong?

My husband is currently applying for a UK Spouse Visa from Hong Kong.
We researched on its process over a year ago, then everything changed completely. Now we've finally submitted on-line app and awaiting VFS HK appointment and submitting documents to Sheffield.

Even after all that time of researching and prep, it's still nerve wrecking, wondering we've got everything right, please support each other here during this time of waiting!! Can anyone share of their VFS and document submitting experience? eg, no more scanning of docs at VFS now but sending direct to Sheffield, right?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applying for UK Spouse Visa from Hong Kong?

Originally Posted by speechbubble
My husband is currently applying for a UK Spouse Visa from Hong Kong.
A number of other points (not related to spouse visa) that the OP can also consider -

1) The OP's husband can open an UK bank account in Hong Kong before moving to the UK. HSBC offers this service in Hong Kong -

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/personal/hsb...s-account.html

2) If your husband holds a Hong Kong driving licence and he passed his driving test in Hong Kong, he can exchange his Hong Kong driving licence to an UK one without test.

3) Does he have British National (Overseas) status? If he does, he should use his BN(O) passport to apply for his UK spouse visa. a BN(O) passport holder is class as a Commonwealth citizen in the UK under section 37 of the British Nationality Act 1981. Being a Commonwealth citizen in the UK enables him to register to vote in all UK elections (useful to build up his own credit history in the UK) and apply for some UK civil service jobs.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks HKG3, it’s thoughtful of you to give these info.

The more I read VFS Hong Kong website, the more confused I get!

The appointment letter said bring all the documents you want to submit.

Website said from 24 March a scanning process is introduced...referring you to a new page with all the barcode dividers for your docs.

The following paragraph then says a “scanning process for settlement visa...” but leads you to a new page saying “from 24 April 2017 all supporting document should be sent direct to Sheffield...”

So did they only scan docs for you between 24 March and 24 April 2017 only?

Can someone enlighten me on this please?

(Sorry for my confusion.)
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Uxbridge219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speechbubble
Thanks HKG3, it’s thoughtful of you to give these info.

The more I read VFS Hong Kong website, the more confused I get!

The appointment letter said bring all the documents you want to submit.

Website said from 24 March a scanning process is introduced...referring you to a new page with all the barcode dividers for your docs.

The following paragraph then says a “scanning process for settlement visa...” but leads you to a new page saying “from 24 April 2017 all supporting document should be sent direct to Sheffield...”

So did they only scan docs for you between 24 March and 24 April 2017 only?

Can someone enlighten me on this please?

(Sorry for my confusion.)
Hi there, vfs hk or ukvi stop accepting scanning documents for more than a year now.
All docs (both originals and copies) must be sent to Sheffield after bio taken.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks to Uxbridge219 for the clarification. I wish they’d update their website though...

All the best to you if you’re applying too.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Please excuse me for having many questions, regarding document submission, I read that you should not have clips, staples etc, did anyone use clear pockets to organise them? It’s a great big pile!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

shaam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi !!

Completely understand your feelings!

i am planning to apply for a spouse visa as well and its indeed nerve wrecking.

I just have a question regarding the financial requirements/savings. it says you must have 16,000 pounds saving in your account for 6 months + the basic salary of 18,600 pounds, i just wanted to ask is it still ok if we have the 16,000 saving in different accounts? 10K in HK account and 6k in UK account?
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Uxbridge219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shaam
Hi !!

Completely understand your feelings!

i am planning to apply for a spouse visa as well and its indeed nerve wrecking.

I just have a question regarding the financial requirements/savings. it says you must have 16,000 pounds saving in your account for 6 months + the basic salary of 18,600 pounds, i just wanted to ask is it still ok if we have the 16,000 saving in different accounts? 10K in HK account and 6k in UK account?
1. different bank accounts are fine as long as they are under your name/wife name or joint names;
2. HK bank account - is it denominated in HK$ or GBP? if its former, you will need to convert them in pounds using the converter website approved by home office.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Dear Uxbridge219

Thank you so much for the prompt reply!

Yes, the accounts are under our names.

FYI, i use <snip> to calculate the saving required on any amount of income, hope this helps others too.

let's say my wife earns 17,000GBP a month which means she will need 20,000GBP savings in her bank to meet the financial requirement clause.

she can have 18,000GBP saving in her uk account and then use her 2,000GBP in hong kong to make it 20,000GBP right ?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 17th 2018 at 8:14 am. Reason: Website removed......just a bit spammy for a newbie! Pls join in the forums more before making recommendations, thx.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Uxbridge219

Thank you so much for the prompt reply!

Yes, the accounts are under our names.

FYI, i use <snip> to calculate the saving required on any amount of income, hope this helps others too.

let's say my wife earns 17,000GBP a month which means she will need 20,000GBP savings in her bank to meet the financial requirement clause.

she can have 18,000GBP saving in her uk account and then use her 2,000GBP in hong kong to make it 20,000GBP right ?
You can use multiple accounts in multiple denominations providing the funds being used have been held for at least six months unless they were derived from the sale of property.

Is your wife earning £17,000 pa in the UK? Has she been earning that salary for at least the last six months?
Old Apr 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can use multiple accounts in multiple denominations providing the funds being used have been held for at least six months unless they were derived from the sale of property.

Is your wife earning £17,000 pa in the UK? Has she been earning that salary for at least the last six months?
Hi dear , thank you for the reply !

Yes , the funds we want to use for saving have been held in our accounts for over 1 year now and they are not from any property sale.

My wife is earning on hourly rate and her monthly salary differs but we were told if she can get (£18,600 / 2 ) or close in six months and have a saving of £19-£20k then we will be fine.

She will have a salary of £8560 after 6 months in June 2018 with saving of 65k from which 22k has been in our banks for over an year.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

I wasted £100 on a lawyer last month and all he did was refer me to the govt webpage for reading.

Such a waste of money but you guys are true blessings!!

Thanks a lot
Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Hoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I just got my approved spouse visa from HKG VFS yesterday.

For the saving route, the requirement for my case is 62,500 pounds in the bank for at least 6 months. forgot how they calculate it. We have two young kids with British passport. The gov.uk information is confusing. Maybe worth looking into it?

Just to share my timeline with you :
Type of visa: Priority Spouse Visa
Bio Date : 1/3/2018
Document sent : 7/3/2018
Document returned : 10/3/2018
Decision made : 17/4/2018
Total working days : 31 days from Bio

good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Congratulations

This must feel great !

Wish you all the best
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dear , thank you for the reply !

Yes , the funds we want to use for saving have been held in our accounts for over 1 year now and they are not from any property sale.

My wife is earning on hourly rate and her monthly salary differs but we were told if she can get (£18,600 / 2 ) or close in six months and have a saving of £19-£20k then we will be fine.

She will have a salary of £8560 after 6 months in June 2018 with saving of 65k from which 22k has been in our banks for over an year.
Cash savings of £62,500 held for six months or more (or derived from the sale of property owned for six month or more) would be enough to meet the financial requirements by themselves. You wouldn't then need to worry about income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.