Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Another potential family break-up thanks to the new rules...

Another potential family break-up thanks to the new rules...

Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:44 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another potential family break-up thanks to the new rules...

Originally Posted by Andrew79
Well, here's an update on my situation. My wife's documents & passport are on their way back. The latest email from Bogota states that a decision has been made and includes a pdf document explaining what to do now that she has a new UK visa. Pretty much says that it was accepted Guess we're just lucky, but feel sorry for others in the same boat who may have been refused.
You must be thrilled!! Congratulations & good luck!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you read the posts they are discussing the financial requirements of UK citizens returning to the UK with non-UK/EU spouses.

The financial requirements were increased in July 2012.

If you don't have a non-UK/EU spouse, then you just get a plane ticket and go.

I would suggest that you take out US citizenship- so if you decide to move back again to the US you can without restrictions.
Hate to throw a spanner in the works... BUT.....All the money figures, are going up again, according to their web site. (As of April) And if indeed the lady MP ''Sharman'' who runs it.. is successfull in gaining more promotion, in the future, heaven knows how much we will have to pay.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hate to throw a spanner in the works... BUT.....All the money figures, are going up again, according to their web site. (As of April)
Where did you find that Don? - I've had a trawl through the latest Statement of Changes and found some not-quite-so-minor changes but missed any change to the actual figures
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Where did you find that Don? - I've had a trawl through the latest Statement of Changes and found some not-quite-so-minor changes but missed any change to the actual figures
This link shows price increases of many (most?) visas from 6 April 2013.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...ng?view=Binary

Don't they usually go up every year, often in the spring?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Newspaper on Friday.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Aha - I hadn't looked at the application fees but read this post just minutes after seeing that there was a statement of changes altering the rules. So I thought they were increasing the 18600 already - thankfully not. The increase to ILR fees for in-country extensions is a bit more than "matching inflation" though
Old May 6th 2013, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrew79
Well, here's an update on my situation. My wife's documents & passport are on their way back. The latest email from Bogota states that a decision has been made and includes a pdf document explaining what to do now that she has a new UK visa. Pretty much says that it was accepted Guess we're just lucky, but feel sorry for others in the same boat who may have been refused.
That is wonderful news! Congrats! How long have you been out of the country? What kind of evidence of ties to the UK did you submit? Any info would be much appreciated as this could really help us.

You must be so excited! And relieved!
Old May 6th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Pleased! It's such a great feeling when a big obstacle is removed!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all
Default Re: Another potential family break-up thanks to the new rules. (UPDATE)

I have great news! My parents have been looking into their finances and talking to their advisor are going to 'give' us the money ( even though this will leave them little to live off their pension) until we sell our house and then we will 'give' them ( ahem) the same amount back once we sell our house. They are planning to put it in our UK HSBC account by October this year so this means by April/ May we could apply for my spouse's visa.

We are still going to have a period apart because we have decided that it would be best for him to stay and fix up our house for selling after me, the kiddies and pup have left but now that brings the period apart to potentially a month or two at the most depending on how quickly the house sells and his visa comes through.

Not only that but they have offered us a place to stay with them until we can get jobs, mortgage and our own place.

I can't quite believe it. I am so lucky to have their support. They are so excited to have their granddaughters so close. We have all missed out on so much time together and now we are all going to be happy.

I broke down on the phone with my folks this morning

So we are going to be home this time next year all being well.

Someone pinch me!

We will have to have a huge yard sale ( or should I be saying car boot sale) really soon!

Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations, Redgal! It's great to hear such good news!
I hope you will all be together again soon.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Redgal, please see my reply in your other thread.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I realized how I wrote that appears to be deceiving. Not my intent to break the law. My hubby is adamant not to bend or break any rule because he does not want to be turfed. My parents are gifting us the money with absolutely no obligations to pay it back. . I should have made that clear.

But my hubby and I agreed that if we profit on the house as much as we expect, we would love to give them some money.

However, we will not do that if it will make their gift be regarded as a loan. The last thing we want to do is break the rules, and we do have the other option of waiting until our house sells but I think my parents want to see their granddaughters sooner!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redgal
Sorry, I realized how I wrote that appears to be deceiving. Not my intent to break the law. My hubby is adamant not to bend or break any rule because he does not want to be turfed. My parents are gifting us the money with absolutely no obligations to pay it back. . I should have made that clear.

But my hubby and I agreed that if we profit on the house as much as we expect, we would love to give them some money.

However, we will not do that if it will make their gift be regarded as a loan. The last thing we want to do is break the rules, and we do have the other option of waiting until our house sells but I think my parents want to see their granddaughters sooner!
I suspect that if you wait several years, then you will be OK to give tem some money without it looking like repayment.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mike, good point. Our plan has always been to look after them when they get older. My hubby has never liked accepting gifts and would always rather give back, but on my parents side there is no expectation of that. Maybe that's why they like each other!