Ancestry visa options for wife and children

Old Oct 2nd 2018, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

JC012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ancestry visa options for wife and children

Hi,

I have been researching the visa requirements for my family move to the UK and would appreciate some advice on the best visa path to follow.

We are moving from Australia (all born in Aus) - I have British citizenship by descent so Im looking at options for my wife and 2 children aged 2 and 6.
The ideal option appears to be the Commonwealth ancestry visa path but as my wife doesn't have UK born parents or grandparents this doesn't seem to apply. My wife has a father born in the Netherlands and a grandfather born in Austria who was fostered in the UK after WW1 - we don't believe that he was adopted however he was naturalised in the UK as a teenager.

Is it possible to apply for Commonwealth ancestry visas for the children and a spousal visa for my wife? Does the ancestry path support naturalisation or only birth? I'm hoping that someone has an idea of a better visa path to follow.
The other obvious path is for a spousal visa with 2 dependants. However this takes a great deal of time and is expensive.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

JC
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 2:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry visa options for wife and children

Originally Posted by JC012
Hi,

I have been researching the visa requirements for my family move to the UK and would appreciate some advice on the best visa path to follow.

We are moving from Australia (all born in Aus) - I have British citizenship by descent so Im looking at options for my wife and 2 children aged 2 and 6.
The ideal option appears to be the Commonwealth ancestry visa path but as my wife doesn't have UK born parents or grandparents this doesn't seem to apply. My wife has a father born in the Netherlands and a grandfather born in Austria who was fostered in the UK after WW1 - we don't believe that he was adopted however he was naturalised in the UK as a teenager.

Is it possible to apply for Commonwealth ancestry visas for the children and a spousal visa for my wife? Does the ancestry path support naturalisation or only birth? I'm hoping that someone has an idea of a better visa path to follow.
The other obvious path is for a spousal visa with 2 dependants. However this takes a great deal of time and is expensive.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

JC
Your wife and children don't apply for an ancestry visa, you do and they apply as your dependents. All info here, in particular see section titled Family Members https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=spouse of scouse;12571633]Your wife and children don't apply for an ancestry visa, you do and they apply as your dependents. All info here, in particular see section titled Family Members /QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply... So in essence, I would apply for the ancestry visa with the family as dependents under my Australian passport instead of using my British passport?
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

What is your childrens' claim to the ancestry visa ? Since your wife's parents are not British by birth, presumably at least one of yours is ? The ancestry visa specifically mentions a British born grandparent. Further, an ancestry visa applicant needs to be 17 or over.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 2:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As a British citizen you cannot apply for a UK Ancestry visa so your wife and children cannot be included as dependents and your children are too young to apply in their own right. A Dutch passport for your wife would be useful if you plan on arriving prior to Brexit. Did your father-in-law naturalise as an Australian citizen and if so did he do so before or after your wife was born?
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sun_burn
What is your childrens' claim to the ancestry visa ? Since your wife's parents are not British by birth, presumably at least one of yours is ? The ancestry visa specifically mentions a British born grandparent. Further, an ancestry visa applicant needs to be 17 or over.
The British claim sits on my side, the children's grandfather was born in the UK.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The British claim sits on my side, the children's grandfather was born in the UK.
But you are a British citizen. And they are too young to apply for the ancestry visa anyway.

I would take the advice of Brit in Paris. He's our resident expert on UK visas. And all 'round nice guy.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As a British citizen you cannot apply for a UK Ancestry visa so your wife and children cannot be included as dependents and your children are too young to apply in their own right. A Dutch passport for your wife would be useful if you plan on arriving prior to Brexit. Did your father-in-law naturalise as an Australian citizen and if so did he do so before or after your wife was born?
Thanks, the ancestry visa requirement does make sense.
​​​​​
My father-in-law naturalised as an Australian citizen and was required to renounced his Dutch nationality before my wife was born which as I understand is a requirement of the Dutch government to limit dual nationals.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility

You must prove that you:
  • are 17 or over
Your children are too young to qualify.

You can 't apply for an Ancestry visa as you are already a British citizen
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 6:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, the ancestry visa requirement does make sense.
​​​​​
My father-in-law naturalised as an Australian citizen and was required to renounced his Dutch nationality before my wife was born which as I understand is a requirement of the Dutch government to limit dual nationals.
That’s unfortunate. What year were you and your wife born? I’m presuming that the naturalised grandfather is your wife’s maternal grandfather? What year was her mother born and which country was she born in?

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 2nd 2018 at 6:22 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the duff info last night OP, I was a bit knackered and didn't connect your British citizen/Ancestry visa. On the bright side(s), BiP and SDg gave you the lowdown, and I've finally moved into my new home. Never again! (she says after 4 moves in 5 months)
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry for the duff info last night OP, I was a bit knackered and didn't connect your British citizen/Ancestry visa. On the bright side(s), BiP and SDg gave you the lowdown, and I've finally moved into my new home. Never again! (she says after 4 moves in 5 months)
No probs. Yes, im very appreciative of the advice I've received. Hope the move went well.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That’s unfortunate. What year were you and your wife born? I’m presuming that the naturalised grandfather is your wife’s maternal grandfather? What year was her mother born and which country was she born in?
Thanks again for the guidance BritInParis.
Wife '79, me' 78. Yes, the naturalised grandfather is my wife's maternal grandfather. Wife's mother was born in '53 in Australia.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Eligibility

You must prove that you:
  • are 17 or over
Your children are too young to qualify.

You can 't apply for an Ancestry visa as you are already a British citizen
Thanks SanDiegogirl.
I've got my fingers crossed that BritInParis has an idea of another path!
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But you are a British citizen. And they are too young to apply for the ancestry visa anyway.

I would take the advice of Brit in Paris. He's our resident expert on UK visas. And all 'round nice guy.
Thanks Dorothy,
I'm very appreciative that people here are so generously sharing their knowledge and time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.