Ancestry Visa

Old Apr 5th 2022, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Tate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ancestry Visa

A question for Forum members who have experience of gaining a UK Ancestry visa...

My wife and I plan to return to live in the UK later this year, my wife is a British citizen, I am a New Zealander (and a pensioner), so the Spouse/Partner Visa is the obvious route for me.
However the Ancestry Visa route is attractive (longer visa, way less expensive etc). I qualify on all counts (Commonwealth citizen, grandfather born in UK) but am confused by one of the eligibility requirements "can and plan to work in the UK"?
Being retired I have no intent or desire to seek paid work although I would be happy to undertake unpaid/charity work.

As an aside, I used the have the right of permanent abode from my 27 years of living in the UK, that however was lost after an absence exceeding two years!

Appreciate any feedback!
Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry Visa

Page 29 onwards of this document has relevant info - https://assets.publishing.service.go...e-v19.0ext.pdf

HTH.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you christmassoompa!

Seems like this is the way for me to go especially as meeting the 'financial requirement' is not an issue

Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 5th 2022, 11:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Right of Abode or Indefinite Leave to Remain? These are two very different things. How long since you left the UK?
Old Apr 5th 2022, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis

I arrived in UK in 1972 and returned to NZ 11/1999.
Apart from spending 1977 in NZ/Australia, my stay was continuous.

My son was born in London 1980 and is a UK citizen, often wondered if that fact was relevant when applying for a UK visa!

Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 5th 2022, 11:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Which visa did you hold during this time? Was it your paternal or maternal grandfather or grandmother who was born in the UK?
Old Apr 6th 2022, 12:09 am
Just Joined

My initial visas were on the basis of 'Leave to Remain', initially for a twelve month period(s) then on 24/10/1980 for an indefinite period.

My paternal grandfather was born in Totnes.

Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 6th 2022, 1:35 am
Just Joined

My further research indicates a 'UK Returning Resident' visa is the way to go.

Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 6th 2022, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tate
My further research indicates a 'UK Returning Resident' visa is the way to go.

Cheers, Tate
You have been out of the UK for 22 years.

What are your strong ties to the UK? Home, bank accounts, business, family

You should read the following document carefully (especially from Page 10 onwards)
https://assets.publishing.service.go..._residents.pdf

There are many factors for allowing a Returning Resident visa, not just the fact that you previously lived in the UK and/or visited frequently
Old Apr 6th 2022, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Most of the above...my wife wishes to return home, my son etc.
Thanks for the link, good info and good to read it again.

Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Background:
My wife has decided she would like leave NZ and return home to Belfast to live, on a permanent basis, a decision which I support wholeheartedly.
As a NZ citizen, it would appear there may be more than one option for my obtaining a UK visa and I seek the advice of the Forum to help me decide which visa route is the most appropriate...

Spouse/ Partner Visa.
My wife is a UK citizen,we married in London 1993.
Pros: Probably the most straightforward route.
Cons: More expensive visa and for a shorter period.

Ancestry Visa.
As a Commonwealth citizen I qualify via my paternal grandfather being born in England.
Pros: Visa for a five year period.
Cons: Being retired, I have no wish to work (other than perhaps,community/volunteer/unpaid work).
Am I correct in assuming the requirement that the applicant work is to ensure they are in a position to support themselves?
If that is the case, does being 'financially independent' count in ones favor?
We have a budget of GBP500k for house purchase and GBP50k (net) pa income, ad infinitum (well, I may not quite live that long!).
The GBP50k net pa excludes UK State Pension (for which I qualify and am currently being paid) and, eventually, that of my wife's.

Returning Resident Visa.
Not an option that was immediately apparent to me however, having previously lived in the UK for around 26 years (and been granted ILR for the last 20 year), I am wondering if this is a viable option for me?
Pros: Visa for a five year period.
Cons: I have been living in NZ for the last 21 years, a long period of absence.
During this time I have made five or six return visits to the UK, primarily to visit my son (a UK citizen and London resident since birth) also to visit friends and my wife's family. My son also visited us in NZ three times during this period.
My mother was the primary reason for returning to NZ, she had become unwell and finally passed away September last year.

Appreciate your views....Cheers, Tate
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e-v19.0ext.pdf

The above provides very detailed info regarding what a case worker must take into consideration when agreeing or refusing an Ancestry visa.

Page 29 covers what is considered when voluntary work is likely to be the applicant's main 'work'

Voluntary work The definition of ‘employment’ in paragraph 6.2 of the Immigration Rules includes “paid and unpaid employment”. This means that if an applicant is undertaking, or intends to undertake, voluntary work, you may accept that they meet the work requirement for the UK Ancestry route. Since the applicant will not be earning an income, you must pay particular attention to their ability to meet the financial requirement

You sound as though you will be financially independent, so if you can convince the case worker that you could/would be looking at voluntary work and your finances allow you to do that, (which it looks like they do ) then this visa looks a good way to go.

It's 530GBP (plus IHS surcharge for 5 years) and it could take only a month (approx) to process .....

Until fairly recently this forum was of the opinion that a Returning resident visa was very difficult to get/prove; things might have improved, but personally, I think an Ancestry visa is easier to obtain.

Old Apr 9th 2022, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Hi again

One further question....how long after a visa has been granted/issued does one have before making the move to the UK?

I'm a bit worried about a potential catch 22 situation...wait for the visa before selling our house or sell the house and wait for a visa?
Plus there is the furniture shipping to consider!

Cheers, Tate
Old Jun 7th 2022, 2:25 pm

Given your age I would recommend attempting to obtain a RRV before a UK Ancestry visa.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks BritInParis, may I ask why you recommend a RRV before an Ancestry Visa?
I had been coming around to thinking a Spouse Visa may be the easiest route?

Cheers, Tate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.