American working on a spouse visa application

Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:03 am
Just Joined

spirograph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American working on a spouse visa application

Hi all,

I've gotten some really good information from paging through these forums already, and wanted to both say thank you, and to see if I can quell some of my own anxieties with some expertise. My fiancee is a British citizen, and we'll be getting married next month in Seattle, so we're trying to build up my UK spouse visa application to be ready to send off once we have the marriage certificate in hand. I'm getting the impression that a solicitor's not required, and at $2500 out the gate, I'd be thrilled to be able to avoid it and not regret it... is that something I should reconsider?

I'm working through both the VA4FA form and its appendix, and both seem fairly straightforward. We're fortunate in that my fiancee makes enough to pass the financial test handily, so that's fairly simple. I'm a little concerned about the proof of accommodation, though - her current housing situation is that she shares a 2-bed, 2-bath, 1-kitchen, 1-living room flat with a roommate, and their landlord lives full-time in Singapore. Is a wet signature from him absolutely required for a letter of approval for me to stay there? And should we plan on getting a property inspection report? I'm a little fuzzy on whether or not she's solidly into HMO territory.

As before, your expertise is very much appreciated!