American wishing to become a UK citizen

Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

lovebritain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American wishing to become a UK citizen

My last thread got deleted, with the reason being that this isn't a matchmaking site.

I just really wish there were a reliable way for me to live in the UK and be able to become a citizen after several years.

It does seem like marrying a British woman could be my best bet, in which case I assume I could also help her obtain a US green card and US citizenship.

Is there a better way?

Also, I'm close with the CEO of a London-based company with a market cap in the ball park of 100 billion pounds. Would his company easily be able to get me a visa to live here, if I took a job with them?

I am trying to think of ways to live here legally. I just really like it here. (Right now I am here on my passport, which was stamped for 6 months, and I have a good amount of time left on that 6 months. I'd like to stay here without breaking any laws.)

Last edited by Sue; Jan 12th 2012 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Moved from US Marriage Based Imm forum to MBTTUK forum
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wishing to become a UK citizen

I apologize for deleting your last post...it sounded like a bit of spam.

You should go to www.uk-yankee.com for your questions. This forum is specifically for people who want to immigrate to the USA, and you want to do the opposite. The UK-Yankee website has a similar forum for folks wanting to immigrate to the UK.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovebritain
It does seem like marrying a British woman could be my best bet, in which case I assume I could also help her obtain a US green card and US citizenship.
Only if you are willing to live back in the USA for about 4 years, which is about how long it will take her to become a USC, after she immigrates to the USA using an Immigrant Visa (which in itself takes about a year to obtain).

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Only if you are willing to live back in the USA for about 4 years, which is about how long it will take her to become a USC, after she immigrates to the USA using an Immigrant Visa (which in itself takes about a year to obtain).

Rene
And for the US, the marriage can't be fraudulent and you have to provide a quite a bit of documents, photos, etc to prove legitimacy. Then after two years, if not married for at least two years previously to emigrating, you then have to prove it again.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 11th 2012 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

as an aside to what the others have said, i dont believe you can switch from a tourist visa in the UK , not from inside the UK anyways, i know it isnt possible to go from a tourist visa to a spouse visa etc, but i am unsure about the employment visa's but would imagine that they would have similar restrictions on them

Last edited by paulpur; Jan 12th 2012 at 1:49 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
And for the US, the marriage can't be fraudulent and you have to provide a quite a bit of documents, photos, etc to prove legitimacy. Then after two years, if not married for at least two years previously to emigrating, you then have to prove it again.

That's all true for UK spouse visas too.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the UK, but US immigration law does not permit immigration based on marriage when the purpose of the marriage was to obtain an immigration benefit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for the UK, and you sure do make it sound like immigration, not a wife, is what you're after.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by lovebritain
I just really wish there were a reliable way for me to live in the UK and be able to become a citizen after several years.

I am trying to think of ways to live here legally.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Could always try chatting to people online, you never know what will come of it, you may find a wife, many here did find their spouse that way, though most of us weren't actually looking for spouses and weren't exactly thrilled that immigration had a say in our planning.

Definitely don't get married if it's just a sham, neither country tolerates sham marriages and both expect you to prove cohabiting to get perm residency (called Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK). You WILL have to prove you live together by means mainly of joint mail or mail to either of you sent to the same address, and I'm not talking letters from friends, I'm talking utility bills, bank statements etc. Fraud in this respect would likely mean punishment of imprisonment and/or bans from living in the foreign country/sponsoring another spouse (in the US banned permanently from sponsoring).

You may find if you chat online with other English speakers that you meet another American, a Canadian, Aussie, Kiwi or South African (or Irish but you CAN get to the UK that way or through any EU citizen). Things don't always work out the way we plan!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=lovebritain;9836541]My last thread got deleted, with the reason being that this isn't a matchmaking site.

e-harmony comes to mind