American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Bus run along the Dover Rd too though, right? Yes, do love a spot of cricket
Pretty much covers the area south-east of Canterbury:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/uploads...ap071012mm.pdf
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Bus run along the Dover Rd too though, right? Yes, do love a spot of cricket
Don't forget you have to pay the council tax (property tax) on top of the rent. (That's a lovely flat)!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Don't forget you have to pay the council tax (property tax) on top of the rent. (That's a lovely flat)!
Lets see, if they do away with the free bus pass will they do away with the council tax?
I don't think they come out of the same fund but they may?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lets see, if they do away with the free bus pass will they do away with the council tax?
There have been rumblings of means testing these and other "old age" benefits (winter fuel allowance, TV license).
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that council tax raises about £25 billion. Not something that they are likely to do away with.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:17 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I think when the flat rate pension comes about it will see the end of the free bus pass, heating allowance, etc. for most people.

We were in England this past summer, and went on a scenic trip with my cousin and her husband. This consisted of part steam train and part public transportation by local bus. My cousin and her husband are quite well off, government pensions and inheritances, etc. Own a villa in Spain.

When we got off the steam train, we got on the local bus for a few miles, which was quite expensive! Cousin and hubby hopped on free with their passes! They were quite amused at us paying!

One of my brothers uses his heating allowance every year to pay towards a fly fishing trip in Ireland! He winters outside of the UK.

All good things must come to an end!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think when the flat rate pension comes about it will see the end of the free bus pass, heating allowance, etc. for most people.

We were in England this past summer, and went on a scenic trip with my cousin and her husband. This consisted of part steam train and part public transportation by local bus. My cousin and her husband are quite well off, government pensions and inheritances, etc. Own a villa in Spain.

When we got off the steam train, we got on the local bus for a few miles, which was quite expensive! Cousin and hubby hopped on free with their passes! They were quite amused at us paying!

One of my brothers uses his heating allowance every year to pay towards a fly fishing trip in Ireland! He winters outside of the UK.

It just doesn't make sense really. My Mum gets the free bus pass, TV licence and heating allowance although she gets a decent pension from my Dad's occupational scheme and a very good state pension (I don't even understand why the state one is so high). Although I'm happy for her, I don't think it's sustainable or even right.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with means testing is that it costs so much and probably doesn't recoup enough to make it worthwhile.

The problem with removing all old age benefits is that it penalises the less well-off (even the new £150 per week or whatever isn't a fortune).

The solution is to continue with universal benefits and simply use income tax to recoup from the well-off retirees.

[That's not my idea, by the way it was Mr Edward Milliband what came up with it - and a good idea, IMO]
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The problem with means testing is that it costs so much and probably doesn't recoup enough to make it worthwhile.

The problem with removing all old age benefits is that it penalises the less well-off (even the new £150 per week or whatever isn't a fortune).

The solution is to continue with universal benefits and simply use income tax to recoup from the well-off retirees.

[That's not my idea, by the way it was Mr Edward Milliband what came up with it - and a good idea, IMO]
I agree with this. Don't touch that bus pass. That's messing with things. Older people in some cases have their driving privileges removed and have to use the bus. If they take away the passes then replace it with door to door pickup for seniors.
Lastly, how many cars are kept off the road because of the free bus passes?

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this. Don't touch that bus pass. That's messing with things. Older people in some cases have their driving privileges removed and have to use the bus. If they take away the passes then replace it with door to door pickup for seniors.
Lastly, how many cars are kept off the road because of the free bus passes?

Cheers
So give everyone a free bus pass and keep even more cars off the roads.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:49 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be a downer, but I think that takes the piss and that's what's wrong with the UK.

None of them need to be taking those benefits but under the current system they are allowed to, the new change cannot come fast enough so that the people that really need it have it, and those that don't and who take anyway are left to pay their own way as it should be.

Last edited by ldollard; Jan 24th 2013 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:33 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Sorry to be a downer, but I think that takes the piss and that's what's wrong with the UK.

None of them need to be taking those benefits but under the current system they are allowed to, the new change cannot come fast enough so that the people that really need it have it, and those that don't and who take anyway are left to pay their own way as it should be.
100%. Piss-takers. Bottom line is they don't have to claim that money and it just shows when you legislate you must consider that humans will do the most greedy thing possible and base the law on that assumption.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:44 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
100%. Piss-takers. Bottom line is they don't have to claim that money and it just shows when you legislate you must consider that humans will do the most greedy thing possible and base the law on that assumption.
I've never taken benefits of any kind in the UK. That's not to say i wouldn't if i didn't need to, but my dad worked usually over 100 hours a week as a chauffeur in London to support us when my mum left, he never once even thought about benefits. So its just the way i was brought up.

Why take something for free, when you can work for it and its truly yours. That's the way I see it anyway.

Last edited by ldollard; Jan 25th 2013 at 12:48 am.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It just doesn't make sense really. My Mum gets the free bus pass, TV licence and heating allowance although she gets a decent pension from my Dad's occupational scheme and a very good state pension (I don't even understand why the state one is so high). Although I'm happy for her, I don't think it's sustainable or even right.
It's based on the contributions (what they used to call "stamps) " she has made throughout her working life.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris197337
It's based on the contributions (what they used to call "stamps) " she has made throughout her working life.
Not really. She worked for a short time and in those days married women could elect not to pay NI. The letter from the DWP says she has inherited her husband's pension, and she's actually getting more now than the two of them together got when he was alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.