American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by dunroving
It looks to me like "intend" is the key word here - in which case a spousal visa could be regarded as a step towards permanent residence (via ILR) and therefore one indicator of "intent" to reside permanently.

I have to say that I have never read on here before that spouses of UK citizens/residents were deemed to be ineligible for routine NHS treatment. Either NHS staff have been lax with BE members who have been in that situation or they are in fact deemed to "intend" to reside permanently by virtue of being married to a permanent resident and citizen, and therefore eligible for routine treament.
I would like to see evidence of this too, as it would affect us. My husband is a USC.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I would like to see evidence of this too, as it would affect us. My husband is a USC.
Some text from the link to the archived document:

"If you do not have an automatic right to take up permanent residence but have applied to the Home Office for leave to enter/remain on a settled basis, you will be chargeable for any hospital treatment up to the point your application is granted or until you accrue 12 months lawful residence in the UK."

But also:

"Under the current Regulations anyone who comes to the UK to take up permanent residence is fully exempt from charges for National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. A person who has been given leave to enter the UK by the Home Office to marry or become the civil partner of someone who is ordinarily resident here may be regarded as taking up permanent residence, and therefore exempt from charges for NHS hospital treatment. This exemption would extend to your children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they come to live here with you on a permanent basis."

These seem a little contradictory (though I must admit I am not familiar with some of the terms used) - but the second one, found on this page, seems pretty clear ...
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

"If you do not have an automatic right to take up permanent residence but have applied to the Home Office for leave to enter/remain on a settled basis, you will be chargeable for any hospital treatment up to the point your application is granted or until you accrue 12 months lawful residence in the UK."
I believe the above refers to the visa status WHILE a settlement visa has been applied for but not yet granted. Anyone in the UK on less than a settlement visa can be charged for non-emergency NHS services...until they receive their settlement visa.

The language is confusing, but a "settlement" visa confers (somewhat probationary) settlement status. Thus, any visa which is a settlement visa--such as the family/spouse visa--is not chargeable for NHS purposes. Once the settlement visa (spouse visa) is received, one is settled even if one does not yet have permanent residence (ILR).

According to this page--link below-- "ordinary residence" is the key. This makes sense, as tourists are ordinarily resident in their home country & thus must pay for NHS services on a visit to the UK, whereas a spouse on a settlement visa is ordinarily resident in the UK.

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/wi...treatment.html
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I believe the above refers to the visa status WHILE a settlement visa has been applied for but not yet granted. Anyone in the UK on less than a settlement visa can be charged for non-emergency NHS services...until they receive their settlement visa.

The language is confusing, but a "settlement" visa confers (somewhat probationary) settlement status. Thus, any visa which is a settlement visa--such as the family/spouse visa--is not chargeable for NHS purposes. Once the settlement visa (spouse visa) is received, one is settled even if one does not yet have permanent residence (ILR).

According to this page--link below-- "ordinary residence" is the key. This makes sense, as tourists are ordinarily resident in their home country & thus must pay for NHS services on a visit to the UK, whereas a spouse on a settlement visa is ordinarily resident in the UK.

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/wi...treatment.html
That's where my ignorance of the process comes in - so would this (NHS ineligibility of a spouse) apply to a spouse who enters as a tourist, while they are waiting for a spouse visa to be approved? (I thought I had read on here that ideally you shouldn't/couldn't do this, but I often don't pay attention to the details, not being married to a "foreigner" myself).

I suppose if a spouse is ostensibly here as a tourist (regardless of what intent they have in their minds) it makes sense that they wouldn't be eligible for free routine NHS treatment.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:32 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

That's where my ignorance of the process comes in - so would this (NHS ineligibility of a spouse) apply to a spouse who enters as a tourist, while they are waiting for a spouse visa to be approved? (I thought I had read on here that ideally you shouldn't/couldn't do this, but I often don't pay attention to the details, not being married to a "foreigner" myself).
Yes, from all I understand from friends & relatives who have needed settlement visas in the past, until one actually has the spouse visa AND has had said visa stamped on entry to the UK, one must pay for any & all non-energency NHS services. This never used to be enforced, so in the past tourists got away with treatment, but now it is enforced. In fact a settlement visa, or any UKBA visa, can be refused for using the NHS in this illegal way. Emergencies are covered (going to the A&E) but anything else, including being admitted to hospital (non A&E) must be paid for, to keep the immigration record clean.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1086.asp...CategoryID=162

I suppose if a spouse is ostensibly here as a tourist (regardless of what intent they have in their minds) it makes sense that they wouldn't be eligible for free routine NHS treatment.
They won't be eligible. They should buy travel health insurance, as should all tourists to the UK. Not all do, but they need to be aware that the (non-emergency) costs are their responsibility to pay.

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 26th 2013 at 1:35 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:07 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Go find four really British looking places in what looks like being the area that meets the OP's prerequisite:

1. Mild/dry
2. On the edge of Urban
3. Likely to be sociable crowd
4. Access to open country for the dog
5. Pretty on your doorstep
6. Good access to culture - museums/theatre/arts
7. Transport connections
8. Good value in terms of renting

Bradford-on-Avon area
Pevensey/West Ham - Eastbourne
Dorchester - Dorset
Hereford/Ledbury area
Topsham/Clyst St George - Exeter
Mudeford/New Milton - Bournemouth - Pretty? New Forest/shoreline? also Wimborne
Salisbury/Wilton

Thanks for this list, Pete! I'm going to look into all of them.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile

FYI sile, I've picked Bradford-on-Avon from other feedback on here and a bit of my own research as being nice plus close to the City of Bath without having to pay Bath's fairly expensive prices. There could be other areas around Eastbourne that work but those listed spring to mind.

Mudeford and New Milton were picked because Christchurch (below) is quite expensive.

Ref Dorchester, one could also consider Weymouth, where I personally am looking to possibly settle for a while next year but that is more because of my son's college needs. We are also considering Bradford-on-Avon for access to The City of Bath College.

Dorchester, Wimborne, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Eastbourne are five of the highest-rated retirement spots for the English on or near the south coast - Dorchester is five miles inland, Wimborne a bit further.

Weymouth/Bournemouth have their own recent thread and Eastbourne has several.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile

There has been a lot of chat on here recently about Canterbury and there have been problems for returnees because the property and rent prices in the city are perceived high now that there is High Speed Rail service into London which contributes to making it more commutable.

However, just off the edge of the City on the correct (south-east) side for less commutability and therefore slightly lower prices is the viilage of Bridge which has access to its "own" railway station at Bekesbourne (just over a mile) and there is very regular (three times an hour) bus service from Canterbury which takes just ten minutes.

It ticks all of the other boxes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 27th 2013 at 12:55 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a lot of chat on here recently about Canterbury and there have been problems for returnees because the property and rent prices in the city are perceived high now that there is High Speed Rail service into London which contributes to making it more commutable.

However, just off the edge of the City on the correct (south-east) side for less commutability and therefore slightly lower prices is the viilage of Bridge which has access to its "own" railway station at Bekesbourne (just over a mile) and there is very regular (three times an hour) bus service from Canterbury which takes just ten minutes.

It ticks all of the other boxes.
Pete, Bridge must be so small as it doesn't come up on google maps. However, Bekesbourne does and you can find Bridge from there.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Pete, Bridge must be so small as it doesn't come up on google maps. However, Bekesbourne does and you can find Bridge from there.
Hi perth,

Looks like about 1,500 so one would need to be on the lookout for any rental supply.

http://www.bridgevillage.org.uk/jcwe...troduction.htm
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

FYI sile, I've picked Bradford-on-Avon from other feedback on here and a bit of my own research as being nice plus close to the City of Bath without having to pay Bath's fairly expensive prices. There could be other areas around Eastbourne that work but those listed spring to mind.

Mudeford and New Milton were picked because Christchurch (below) is quite expensive.

Ref Dorchester, one could also consider Weymouth, where I personally am looking to possibly settle for a while next year but that is more because of my son's college needs. We are also considering Bradford-on-Avon for access to The City of Bath College.

Dorchester, Wimborne, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Eastbourne are five of the highest-rated retirement spots for the English on or near the south coast - Dorchester is five miles inland, Wimborne a bit further.

Weymouth/Bournemouth have their own recent thread and Eastbourne has several.
I think that I could add Woodbridge in Suffolk to this list.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...bridge-suffolk

Couple of comments ref article:

Better value seems to be had in renting. This is far enough out of London to be not too badly impacted by commuting but Woodbridge is a popular spot.

The two American Air Force bases at Bentwaters and Woodbridge are now closed.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:03 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone, I just came across this post and I thought I'd put my experiences in amongst the mix, as I am going through a similar situation.

The differences being is I am a 49 year old widow, no pets and also moving to the UK. I was actually born there, but my family moved to Australia when I was young and then I got married and moved to the USA.

I actually went back to the UK for a couple of months last year and it was that trip that made me decide I wanted to go back permanently. I just fell in love and felt so at home there, that I didn't want to leave.

It was the best thing I could ever do, was to go to www.homeaway.co.uk and book a 'holiday let' for those two months. I will be looking for work, but at that time I was just going for a holiday so I wanted somewhere 'close' to London without being right in the middle. I ended up choosing a rental in Winchmore Hill, and it was gorgeous, beautiful parks to walk through, everyone I met was so friendly, great transport and close to shops etc.

So that's where I am going back to. I've got myself a house share all organized and from there I can look into the job situation and move on from there if need be. I know being closer to London there are more people competing for the jobs out there, but that's a better option than moving to somewhere where there aren't any jobs at all.

So that is my suggestion to Sile.....you have to go over there first and pick a place to use as a 'base' while you decide where you want to be permanently. I was going to go to Shrewsbury, which has lots of history, gorgeous scenery, plenty of walking areas, good transport both locally and to Manchester and Birmingham, but few jobs.

It's hard to make a life changing decision whilst you're still in the US, without having a starting point, and I applaud you on all the research and questions you're asking. But as others have pointed out.... pick somewhere and just go and from there you can decide where you want to eventually settle.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:55 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Hi again, just as a little side note... I've actually gone through and read ALL the posts, and there is one thing I didn't see anyone mention. But if I did I apologize for repeating.

Another thing Sile has to consider when renting is whether the prospective landlord will require 6 months rent up front in lieu of not being employed. If there is no regular income coming in, even though the person may have enough savings to cover the rent, some landlords want a deposit AND 6 months rent in advance.

That was the issue I faced when I first decided to go back to the UK. I contacted a number of real estate agents and asked them, because I would be unemployed when first arriving back, but I could afford to pay the rent. That's also relevant when you see the listings for properties and they say 'no dss' because they basically are saying 'no unemployed people'.

So even though you might have the funding to pay the rent, unless you can show them a regular income coming in 'some' landlords will want at least a few months rent up front.

Just a thought ! If anyone has found anything different I'd like to know for my own purposes...lol
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 4:02 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Hi again, just as a little side note... I've actually gone through and read ALL the posts, and there is one thing I didn't see anyone mention. But if I did I apologize for repeating.

Another thing Sile has to consider when renting is whether the prospective landlord will require 6 months rent up front in lieu of not being employed. If there is no regular income coming in, even though the person may have enough savings to cover the rent, some landlords want a deposit AND 6 months rent in advance.

That was the issue I faced when I first decided to go back to the UK. I contacted a number of real estate agents and asked them, because I would be unemployed when first arriving back, but I could afford to pay the rent. That's also relevant when you see the listings for properties and they say 'no dss' because they basically are saying 'no unemployed people'.

So even though you might have the funding to pay the rent, unless you can show them a regular income coming in 'some' landlords will want at least a few months rent up front.

Just a thought ! If anyone has found anything different I'd like to know for my own purposes...lol
It's not just employment - lack of a credit record or references (US references may not count) can also lead to needing big money up front.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Yorkshire Lass

It's not just employment - lack of a credit record or references (US references may not count) can also lead to needing big money up front.
Thanks dunroving ! That's what I thought too! That's why I thought to take a slightly easier route and do a house share until I get established, get a job and build up my reputation so to speak..lol.