Am I a UK citizen?

Old Sep 13th 2021, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

JKunited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I a UK citizen?

Hello! I am new to the forum and unsure where to start! Thanks so much for the add.
I am a US citizen. My mother was born in the UK in the 50's and moved to the US when she was young, has dual citizenship. Can I gain UK citizenship? She was not married at the time I was born in the 70's. I would like to move one day to the UK. Also my son, would he qualify for any citizenship as well?
I really appreciate the help.
Thank you!
Old Sep 13th 2021, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a UK citizen?

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our UK citizenship section, where the forum pros will be able to tell you if you're already a UK citizen (or have a route to it).

Best of luck.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our UK citizenship section, where the forum pros will be able to tell you if you're already a UK citizen (or have a route to it).

Best of luck.
Thank you very much.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 5:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did your mother ever marry your father?
Old Sep 13th 2021, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Did your mother ever marry your father?
Yes, eventually.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 8:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKunited
Yes, eventually.
How old is your son?
Old Sep 13th 2021, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

How old is your son?
He is in his late 20's.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 8:42 pm

You’re not currently a British citizen but you can apply to be registered as one.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...rn-before-1983

Unfortunately a similar route is not available to your son.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

You’re not currently a British citizen but you can apply to be registered as one.

Unfortunately a similar route is not available to your son.
Thank you very much for the information. Bummer for my son as he was hopeful also.
I am looking at registering for my citizenship. I need my mothers birth certificate, so I have requested that online. Do I need to send our actual passports in or just copies? Seems hard to be without my passport for how long? My mother does have her expired British passport but would hate to have to send all these in.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by JKunited
Thank you very much for the information. Bummer for my son as he was hopeful also.
I am looking at registering for my citizenship. I need my mothers birth certificate, so I have requested that online. Do I need to send our actual passports in or just copies? Seems hard to be without my passport for how long? My mother does have her expired British passport but would hate to have to send all these in.
I would send your mother’s expired passport but only provide colour photocopies of any current passports with a note saying you need to retain the original for travel but that they are available on request.
Old Sep 17th 2021, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Mojopin is an unknown quantity at this point

When i applied for my daughters passport.
my daughter was born in the Philippines and her mother is from the Philippines.
I applied for her passport on the grounds
That i was myself british.
Also you able to apply if your grandparents or a grandparent is british but i guess i misread it
sad though for your son.

Last edited by Mojopin; Sep 17th 2021 at 4:43 am.