Am I Eligible for a British Passport

Old May 5th 2020, 10:59 am
Just Joined

RAOC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I Eligible for a British Passport

To BritInParis, and anyone else that may please be of assistance.

Hello.

I am inquiring as to whether I have any claim to British Nationality. I am South African, born in 1985. My parents were married at the time of my birth.

My mother was born in 1956 in Bechuanaland (now Botswana) whilst a Protectorate of the United Kingdom. (My mother has never applied for a British Passport). My maternal grandfather was born in South Africa in 1927 and my maternal grandmother was born in 1930 in South Africa. My maternal grandparents worked at Southhampton Hospital in Hampshire (grandfather a physician & grandmother a nurse). They moved to Africa, to Bechuanaland when my grandmother fell pregnant with my mother. My grandfather worked for the Crown under the British Colonial Service Medical Corporation, based in the British Bechuanaland Protectorate from 1955 to 1966.

My father was born in South Africa in 1953. My father’s parents were married at the time of his birth. My paternal grandfather worked for the allies, during WW2, based in Italy.

My paternal grandfather was born in South Africa in 1922. My paternal grandmother was born in South Africa in 1926.

Can anyone please tell me whether I have any claim to British Nationality and Passport? If so, what do I do next? Thanks so much.
Old May 6th 2020, 12:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I Eligible for a British Passport

I don’t see a claim if both your parents and all four of your grandparents were born outside the UK.
Old May 6th 2020, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis

Appreciate your feedback - thanks.

Been thinking, if Bechuanaland was a British Protectorate from 1885 to 1966, was it then not considered British Territory, part of the United Kingdom? My mother was born in 1956, does she not qualify for British citizenship?
Old May 6th 2020, 10:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If she did then so would everyone else in Botswana. You need a link to the UK - being born in a former British possession is not enough otherwise a quarter of the world’s population would have a claim.
Old May 7th 2020, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the clarity.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old May 7th 2020, 9:56 am

If she had a grandparent born in the UK and you were born before 1983 then there may have been a possibility of a claim but as it stands it looks pretty cut and dry.