Am I a British Citizen?

Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

chrisgtr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I a British Citizen?

Hello: I have been reading up on British citizenship and have a complex situation that maybe some of you can help me unravel:

My father was born in the UK to 2 married US citizens (his father was stationed in the UK working with the US Air Force) in 1954. My dad has a birth certificate with the UK listed on it. The family returned to America about 3 or 4 months later, and my father lived his entire life in the US. Has my father been a citizen of the UK this entire time?

If so... would that make me a British citizen by descent? As his son, I was born in the US and lived here my whole life. My mother was a US citizen, and they were married at the time of my birth in 1987.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a British Citizen?

Originally Posted by chrisgtr4
Hello: I have been reading up on British citizenship and have a complex situation that maybe some of you can help me unravel:

My father was born in the UK to 2 married US citizens (his father was stationed in the UK working with the US Air Force) in 1954. My dad has a birth certificate with the UK listed on it. The family returned to America about 3 or 4 months later, and my father lived his entire life in the US. Has my father been a citizen of the UK this entire time?
Yes, probably. Prior to 1983, most UK-born children became British citizens and the exceptions only covered diplomats and enemy aliens. Visiting forces were generally NOT given diplomatic immunity.

Does he have his UK-issued birth certificate? (his American issued one won't do). To get a copy it depends on where he was born - England & Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

If so... would that make me a British citizen by descent? As his son, I was born in the US and lived here my whole life. My mother was a US citizen, and they were married at the time of my birth in 1987.
Yes, it seems, since your parents were married and your father was British otherwise than by descent. Apply for a British passport or Right of Abode stamp to prove it.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

chrisgtr4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much!

Yes, he does have an official UK birth certificate and his U.S. registration.

Follow up Question: In claiming British citizenship by descent, do I lose my U.S. citizenship?

I didn't know if claiming citizenship "by descent" would jeopardize it... since I would be making a choice to claim citizenship or stay as I am.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Follow up Question: In claiming British citizenship by descent, do I lose my U.S. citizenship?

I didn't know if claiming citizenship "by descent" would jeopardize it... since I would be making a choice to claim citizenship or stay as I am.
It wouldn't make any difference, and your status doesn't change - it seems you are already British by descent (from birth) and therefore you are not "claiming" anything additional to now.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Information on US dual citizenship issues,
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

You're already British, it seems (if your parents were married). Normally you should want to prove it now by getting a passport, it gets harder later on if documents are lost and your citizenship is effectively lost if you cannot prove that you have it.

On the other hand if you have, or aspire to have, a US security clearance, then getting a British passport might not be such a good idea.