Am I a British Citizen?

Old May 12th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

socko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nice
Default Am I a British Citizen?

Am I a British citizen? I was born in N. Ireland in 1965. My father was a member of the U.S. military stationed in N. Ireland. I Have a full birth certificate from N. Ireland. Is the following correct: Before 1983, birth in the UK was sufficient in itself to confer British nationality irrespective of the status of parents, with an exception only for children of diplomats and enemy aliens. This exception did not apply to most visiting forces, so, in general, children born in the UK before 1983 to visiting military personnel (e.g. US forces stationed in the UK) are British citizens by birth.

Form NS guide from the U.K Border states:People who are:

o Naturalized
o Registered as a British citizen
o Born or adopted in the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983
o Born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 whose mother or
(if legitimate) father was a British citizen or settled in the United Kingdom
o Born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 July 2006 with a parent who is a
British citizen or settled (ie not subject to immigration control) in the United Kingdom

are normally British citizens otherwise than by decent. Exceptions include those born in the United
Kingdom to parents who were not subject to immigration control at the time of birth. These include:

o Foreign diplomats based in the UK
o Visiting members of armed forces
o Occupying enemy aliens

The U.K Border Agency also states this:
If you were born in the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983

If you were born in the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. The only exception is if you were born to certain diplomatic staff of foreign missions who had diplomatic immunity.
What is true? Am I a British Citizen? Any replies will be appreciated
Old May 12th 2011, 11:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a British Citizen?

As far as I am aware, visiting forces do not (and did not) have diplomatic immunity in the United Kingdom, unless holding a specific diplomatic role such as defence attache at an embassy.

Hence, as you were born in the United Kingdom before 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. You need to apply for a British passport to prove it (that process may take a number of months)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US

You also need to know that as the Republic of Ireland extends its nationality law to Northern Ireland, and you were born in NI before 2005, you're also an Irish citizen. Same way to prove it => apply for an Irish passport.

Do you have US born children? They may already be British and/or Irish citizens, or have the option to apply for citizenship.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:32 am
Just Joined

socko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nicesocko1965 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I am aware, visiting forces do not (and did not) have diplomatic immunity in the United Kingdom, unless holding a specific diplomatic role such as defence attache at an embassy.

Hence, as you were born in the United Kingdom before 1983, you are almost certainly a British citizen. You need to apply for a British passport to prove it (that process may take a number of months)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US

You also need to know that as the Republic of Ireland extends its nationality law to Northern Ireland, and you were born in NI before 2005, you're also an Irish citizen. Same way to prove it => apply for an Irish passport.

Do you have US born children? They may already be British and/or Irish citizens, or have the option to apply for citizenship.
Thank you so much for the reply! My next step is to apply for a British passport as I want to move to England. Again, thank you
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:53 am
Just Joined

nikki57 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar question....I was born in 1983 on British soil to US parents serving in the military. We live in the UK for 4 years after I was born. I have a birth certificate (not really a big deal because they have to report all births). Can anyone provide any guidance on this situation? They don't cover UK births to Military personnel on any of the sites I've been to.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki57
I have a similar question....I was born in 1983 on British soil to US parents serving in the military. We live in the UK for 4 years after I was born. I have a birth certificate (not really a big deal because they have to report all births). Can anyone provide any guidance on this situation? They don't cover UK births to Military personnel on any of the sites I've been to.
You were born in 1983, so the rules are completely different. Unless one of your parents was a British citizen or permanent resident when you were born, you're not a British citizen. You'd need to have lived in Britain until age 10 to be eligible for citizenship on that basis.

If by some chance you were born in Northern Ireland, you could claim Irish citizenship.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Update: I am a British Citizen and have received my British Passport. Thank you for the help.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, congrats and thanks for the update!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by socko1965
Update: I am a British Citizen and have received my British Passport. Thank you for the help.
Wonderful. That must feel good. Where are you going in the UK? People are going to be mystified to meet this Ameican sounding person who is British and Irish.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:45 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by socko1965
That's wonderful, congratulations and thanks for coming back and updating us all, it really is a great help to others