Alert UKBA

Old Apr 18th 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

se7en is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alert UKBA

Greetings

My situation right now is very complicated. I moved here to get married on a civil partnership visa, but the relationship dissolved and I'm not really able to return to my country. I gave up my job and home to be here and don't have family/friends in the states that I could return to. About three months ago I sent off an application for FLR(O) and haven't heard anything back from them yet. I was staying with my ex at the time, but have now moved out and I need to let the UKBA know that my address has changed. I can't find the right place to inform them. Could someone help me and perhaps give me some advice on my situation? After they got my application they did send me a letter telling me that the situation is "complex in nature" and they would contact me with an answer as soon as possible. Of course, their idea of soon seems to be a few months.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alert UKBA

You arrived in the UK September 2014 on a proposed civil partnership visa. By December you were already stating that you could not afford the next visa when your visa expired in February.

Did you ever get married? The fact that you applied using the (FLR) O form implies not, as that is not the form used by couples who have now married and wish to extend the stay of the non British spouse.

You don't have any real reason to be allowed to stay in the UK as the whole premise of you entering was an ongoing relationship/marriage - which you now don't have.

You don't really have an option but to return to the US as all other visa have to be applied for from your home country.

Send your change of address to the letter you received from the UKBA in which they acknowledged your change of circumstances.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

We did not proceed with the marriage and I understand my circumstances. My passport and application is with them now so I guess it is down the whatever they decide to do. I'm not too optimistic or pessimistic either way.

There isn't a way I can update them via an online form or an e-mail?
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How can you afford to wait until you hear about your application?

You are not able to work as you did not apply for the FLR and you have no work visa as I understand.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:49 am
Just Joined

I am staying with a friend who understands my situation. I have the letter they sent me. I'll type one out explaining that I have changed address and send it Monday.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:36 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by se7en
There isn't a way I can update them via an online form or an e-mail?
This gov.uk page seems to indicate how one might go about reporting a change of circumstance or address....

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp

You click on whichever situation describes you-- "inside the UK with a BRP" or "inside the UK without a BRP". I found it under the "more options" choice of the "Manage your visa application" section.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too optimistic or pessimistic either way.
Giving up your job and home to marry a partner but that didn't work out, is not a reason to be granted permission to stay in the UK and the USA is a safe country to return to. What makes you think you have a claim for FLR(O)?

After they got my application they did send me a letter telling me that the situation is "complex in nature" and they would contact me with an answer as soon as possible.
That seems to be the standard reply when someone has no claim to FLR(O). Putting in for FLR(O) is widely used by people to try to buy time to get another visa or make 10 years legal stay for ILR and many expect this abuse to be stopped.

You won't be allowed to apply for another visa from within the UK, so all you are doing is delaying your return home and messing up your immigration history.

Don't forget that you need to buy full health insurance asap (if you haven't already brought it) as you are not allowed to use the NHS for free because you don't have legal status in the UK.

There is a forum for US citizens wanting to live in the UK www.uk-yankee.com but they will tell you the same thing.

Last edited by formula; Apr 19th 2015 at 3:44 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

At this point they have my passport and I don't really feel like I have much to lose in asking. Either case, I'll have to make a fresh start somewhere and personally I would rather do so here if possible, as I have friends/connections here and would return to the states homeless, but thank you for your candid response.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At this point they have my passport and I don't really feel like I have much to lose in asking. Either case, I'll have to make a fresh start somewhere and personally I would rather do so here if possible, as I have friends/connections here and would return to the states homeless, but thank you for your candid response.
Unfortunately, you have no basis to make a "fresh start" in the UK.

Just as in the case of people who may wish to make a fresh start in the US, the new country only allows you to do so where either they want you for economic purposes (ie usually they have skilled jobs to fill) or the person wishing to emigrate already has close family in that country. You have neither.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

So basically I'm looking at a 100% no.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been better for you if you had left the UK and then looked for another visa back. You have applied for something you have no claim for.

They won't return your passport with a refusal.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

So wait, if they say no, which they likely will.. I'm not getting my passport back?
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

So wait, if they say no, which they likely will.. I'm not getting my passport back?
What makes you think it might be a yes?

You will get it back, but it will not be sent back with a refusal while you remain in the UK. From what I have read on forums with refusals when people ask how they get their passport back from UKVI, they are told that it will be returned at the airport when they leave/on the plane/when they land in their home country.

Last edited by formula; Apr 19th 2015 at 4:31 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Okay, as long as I can get it back. Sorry, the way it was phrased left me wondering. As I said, I'm not optimistic, but is there even a slim chance they may say yes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.