Advise needed please

Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

c00per10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise needed please

Hi everyone,

My partner and I got engaged in the summer. I am a British citizen living in the U.K. My partner is American and currently living in the states. Once married we hope to live together here in sunny England.

Would it be possible for me to travel to the US with out a K1 fiancé visa and get married and then return here and apply for a spouse visa? Or are we best getting the fiancé visa for here, getting married here and then applying for the spouse visa?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
Will
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise needed please

Originally Posted by c00per10
Hi everyone,

My partner and I got engaged in the summer. I am a British citizen living in the U.K. My partner is American and currently living in the states. Once married we hope to live together here in sunny England.

Would it be possible for me to travel to the US with out a K1 fiancé visa and get married and then return here and apply for a spouse visa? .....
Yes. That is EXACTLY what we did. .... You do mean that your wife remains in the US until she obtains a visa, right? She can't get her visa while in the UK.

It is perfectly possible/allowable to marry in the US on a VWP visit, just so long as the immigration officer doesn't think you are planning on marrying and remaining in the US, which is not legal. For that reason, based on my personal experience I recommend arriving in the US at one of the largest international airports, such as JFK, Newark, or DC, where I found the immigration officers to be more business-like, and less suspicious and nosey, even if that means you have to get a connecting flight. I flew in to Newark when I came to get married, before flying onwards.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 4th 2016 at 12:56 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 6:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine so long as your wife applies for her UK spouse visa from the US. She cannot do it from within the UK as a visitor.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your advise. I think we will go down the route of getting married in the U.S and then my husband will apply for the spouse visa from the U.S and join me here

Thanks
Will
Old Oct 5th 2016, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you meet the financial requirements to sponsor him for the UK spouse Visa? Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf If you have any other questions please come back and the friendly folk here - especially Brit in Paris will help.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Indeed I do with overtime and my bonus

Thanks
Will