Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Advice for UK spouse visa applying overseas but have no documents to prove

Advice for UK spouse visa applying overseas but have no documents to prove

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:32 am
Just Joined

redgaynor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for UK spouse visa applying overseas but have no documents to prove

Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me. I am the sponsor (Brit Citizen) and my husband is Korean. We have lived together since marriage 5 years ago in Korea. We are applying from Korea.

My biggest concern is proving that we are in genuine and subsisting relationship. In Korea, bills and tenancy agreements are in one person's name (all in my husband's). And there are no such things as joint bank accounts.

Officially we have no shared financial commitments, so in the form I have written we have none although provided a simple breakdown of how we share responsibilities unofficially.

The supporting evidence I plan to use is:
* Document stating the registered living place of my spouse
* Document stating my immigration status (residency) with details of my registered living place
* Copies of Sponsor's passport pages which correspond with trips taken overseas together
* photographs of wedding and events since 2008
* one or two boarding passes and flight itineraries.

Do you think this is enough? One of the biggest problems that in Korea, the government is trying to implement a new address system, which means that the addresses on our documents do not always match. I was considering submitting a credit card statement in my name, but as I said the addresses do not match because of the new system. I could also get an electric or gas bill with the same address in my husband's name, but the translation of that document would be really extensive, and I am reluctant to get it translated when the only vital information on there is my address. Do you think I should do it? But only get part of it translated. Surely, they don't need all of the terms and conditions, etc. translated on the bill? Another problem with my planned evidence is that date of registration for the addresses do not always match either since as a foreigner and a native, we have the register at different places or we were not too speedy on registering.

Any ideas from anyone or advice about what you would do in this situation?

Much appreciated!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for UK spouse visa applying overseas but have no documents to prove

I have no idea if your suggestions will be sufficient. But this is what I would have done in your situation. You can also add a series of photos of you and your mrs together.
good luck
cheers
nigel
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice for UK spouse visa applying overseas but have no documents to prove

In theory the issuing agency should be aware of those local regulations regarding foreigners and make allowances. Your list looks good, especially *2 and *3, you will need your marriage certificate too. For that side of things there is more discretion, you may receive a phone call or asked to go for an interview rather than the clear-cut rubber stamp rejection of the financial requirements section.

5 years a long time, any scam set up (which is what they are looking for) would have made the move ages ago. Don't go to town with the photos, just a few will do, I don't know how much weight they can carry in the photoshop age. Official rubber stamps like passport dates that match, itinerary are all good. If they ask for more, then go ahead with the bill translations
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention how you plan to meet the financial requirement - do you (the sponsor) have a job or an offer of employment with a salary of at least £18,600 per year, or do you have sufficient savings to meet the requirement? If you do not, the rest of the application becomes moot.

EDIT - sorry...didn't read your other thread.

Last edited by Vadio; Jul 2nd 2014 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vadio
You didn't mention how you plan to meet the financial requirement - do you (the sponsor) have a job or an offer of employment with a salary of at least £18,600 per year, or do you have sufficient savings to meet the requirement? If you do not, the rest of the application becomes moot.
There is another thread regarding financial requirement,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...gory-b-837779/
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been married for five years I wouldn't worry too much about it. ROK is not a high risk country for sham marriages.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold

Hi, this is a list of the documents you need to submit to prove your relationship (it doesn't mention bills and/or proof that you live together):

This could be a letter from your sponsor confirming your relationship and that
they are supporting your application along with copies of:
 birth certificate or adoption certificate
 marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
 death or divorce certificate
 photographs of your wedding, civil partnership ceremony or other time spent
together
 phone records
 emails, letters or cards
* You should not submit DVDs or video cassettes*

This is the complete list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...settlement.pdf

Good luck!
I am a British woman married to a Japanese man and we live in Japan. We are going to apply in december. Good luck to us all!
Vivien
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for the support and words of advice. I am glad to hear that I have done everything I can. I guess we will just keep our fingers crossed and see how it goes. Will keep everyone posted.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gmralston
In theory the issuing agency should be aware of those local regulations regarding foreigners and make allowances. Your list looks good, especially *2 and *3, you will need your marriage certificate too. For that side of things there is more discretion, you may receive a phone call or asked to go for an interview rather than the clear-cut rubber stamp rejection of the financial requirements section.

5 years a long time, any scam set up (which is what they are looking for) would have made the move ages ago. Don't go to town with the photos, just a few will do, I don't know how much weight they can carry in the photoshop age. Official rubber stamps like passport dates that match, itinerary are all good. If they ask for more, then go ahead with the bill translations
Yep. I have my marriage certificate, which was issued by the British Embassy here in Seoul. I have also had my Korean one translated too.