Wikiposts

Advice on getting American bf into Uk

Old Sep 20th 2013, 2:56 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice
Default Advice on getting American bf into Uk

Hello,
I'm a British citizen and plans are for my American bf to come and live here in the UK with me. I earn £30k so I think I meet all the requirements ....
But from some reading I think that we have 2 options
1. Fiancée visa and get married in 6 months with huge prove the relationship n show booked wedding hassle etc or
2. Show up at NYC town hall, get married 3 data later, then come home without him ... And apply to bring him in as my husband.
Is that correct?
Can anyone help us out on this as we are feeling a bit lost.
Thanks in advance for any info or experiences shared
Old Sep 20th 2013, 2:57 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on getting American bf into Uk

And I really should remove my signature lol ... My life has changed sooo much since then
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyx
Hello,
I'm a British citizen and plans are for my American bf to come and live here in the UK with me. I earn £30k so I think I meet all the requirements ....
But from some reading I think that we have 2 options
1. Fiancée visa and get married in 6 months with huge prove the relationship n show booked wedding hassle etc or
2. Show up at NYC town hall, get married 3 data later, then come home without him ... And apply to bring him in as my husband.
Is that correct?
If you as the British citizen earn enough, and proving you can jump the financial hurdle is not a problem, it's just a matter of deciding which way you want to do it.

With the fiance visa, you do need to show that you have started making some concrete preparations for an actual wedding in the UK. Receipts for engagementring, wedding ring, wedding dress, emails to venues discussing ceremony or reception, etc. And of course the groom-to-be will not be able to work or even volunteer for the period he's in the UK under the fiance visa. As soon as the two of you are married, he must apply for FLR visa to stay on in the UK, as the fiance visa will not be valid.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...e-proposed-cp/

If you two marry in the USA, then he should apply for the spouse visa there as soon as he can get the official marriage licence to send in, along of course with all the other documents required including your own financial/income proofs. He may have to wait for the visa (although 'Premium Processing' can reduce that wait for a price), but when he does arrive in the UK under that spouse visa he can immediately be legal to work.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/

So it really depends on how the two of you want it to go.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:29 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the links, they are a great help. Is there anything in particular that I should put in the additional information part .... Or should the marriage certificate be enough. Sorry for more questions ... We just don't want to mess this up.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:23 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyx
Thanks for the links, they are a great help. Is there anything in particular that I should put in the additional information part .... Or should the marriage certificate be enough. Sorry for more questions ... We just don't want to mess this up.
Which visa option have you chosen? Both will require some study on your part or your partner's. You want to be sure to dot every single i and cross all the t's, so there's no reason to refuse the visa application.

You will need lots of documents for either visa application.

For the fiance visa:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...-cp/documents/

For the spouse visa:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...-cp/documents/

Especially crucial for both visas is the financial requirement. You the British citizen have to prove sufficient income and/or savings.

Financial info for the fiance visa:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ply/financial/

And for the spouse visa:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ply/financial/

For the real nitty-gritty details of the financial requirements, and for what is and is not acceptable as proof, see:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:31 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

We are gonny go the spouse route I think, okay ... I'll read the links ... And Thankyou sooooo much again