Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

About the £62.5k requirement when applying for the spouse visa

About the £62.5k requirement when applying for the spouse visa

Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Pip007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About the £62.5k requirement when applying for the spouse visa

I have a few questions about the £62.5k requirement when applying for the spouse visa. I understand that evidence (bank statements) of this amount must be provided when applying for the Initial Entry Clearance and also for the Limited Leave to Remain but *not* for the final Indefinite Leave to Remain.

1. Is this correct?
2. Does it matter whether the money and bank account statements are in my name (I am the British citizen) or in my wife’s name?
3. Can the £62.5k can be split across more than one bank account?
4. Can the £62.5k include the (potential) value of our house which we will sell to move or must it be shown as already existing savings?
5. I understand that the the statements must show the £62.5k existing for a period of 6 months prior to application … but during the 2.5 years leading up to applying for LLR do we have to maintain that amount or can it drop during that period if we ensure we have it for the 6 months just prior to applying for LLR?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About the £62.5k requirement when applying for the spouse visa

1. Yes
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. The latter.
5. Ditto.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Pip007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BritinParis, that's perfect!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

BiP, just checking that my understanding of the financial requirements for ILR for someone on a spouse visa are correct.

Instead of the £62,500 + dependents requirement, ILR applicants need to demonstrate 'adequate maintenance' for the applicant, sponsor and any dependents without recourse to public funds? And that evidence must be provided as to the source(s) and amount(s) of that adequate maintenance?

I have files for FLR and ILR, so am trying to make sure I keep up with any changes to legislation. Ta.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

SOS, I have looked at the application form for ILR in the past and I agree with you. However, the rules changed in 2012 so it is possible that when the first applicants under the new rules apply for ILR this year, the form may be amended. I have heard that might happen in a month or two so we should definitely keep checking to see how it affects us.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
SOS, I have looked at the application form for ILR in the past and I agree with you. However, the rules changed in 2012 so it is possible that when the first applicants under the new rules apply for ILR this year, the form may be amended. I have heard that might happen in a month or two so we should definitely keep checking to see how it affects us.
We must keep up
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For those who started the five year route to settlement as a partner of a British citizen after July 2012 will need to demonstrate a minimum income of £18,600 p.a. when applying for ILR.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BritInParis
For those who started the five year route to settlement as a partner of a British citizen after July 2012 will need to demonstrate a minimum income of £18,600 p.a. when applying for ILR.
Cheers BiP
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

If the 62,500 is to come from the proceeds of a property sale, it does not have to be in your account for 6 months. It qualifies immediately. Be sure to have the complete sales records to show as proof of where the funds came from.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If not actually earning that amount, can you show property valuation and cash savings too?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

BIP will likely be around soon, but the operative word is INCOME. so, yes savings will count to some extent but a property valuation won't as it's not income. I don't know the relationship for income + savings for ILR so will leave it to others to point you in the right direction.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
BIP will likely be around soon, but the operative word is INCOME. so, yes savings will count to some extent but a property valuation won't as it's not income. I don't know the relationship for income + savings for ILR so will leave it to others to point you in the right direction.
As I understand it if you have no income you can use only savings throughout the entire process