A2 or B1?

Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A2 or B1?

My wife's 2.5 year renewal is due next year and we're starting to prepare for that, namely to prepare for the A2 English Test that is required.

However, we're considering to go for the B1 Test which will be required for her permanent stay. This helps to make both processes easier as we'll have the higher level Test for the renewal and for her permanent stay. We've also got her Life in the UK Test passed.

Firstly, is it possible to go straight for the B1 and secondly, what's the structure for the A2/B1 Tests in terms of what's asked and the pass mark/assessment?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

j4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A2 or B1?

Hopefully some useful information here for you: Prepare for IELTS Life Skills | Take IELTS

Not sure if you can go straight to B1 from A1. So i won't be able to answer that.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

ryongsong is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you can prove the B1 level at the FLR stage and not have to take it at the ILR stage. The certificate is only valid for two years, so you would probably have to do the B1 again 2.5 years later. There's a lack of joined up thinking at UKVI on this, unless of course, they are just deliberately making things awkward and unnecessarily expensive for people. Perish the thought.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:34 am
Just Joined

FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ryongsong
I don't think you can prove the B1 level at the FLR stage and not have to take it at the ILR stage. The certificate is only valid for two years, so you would probably have to do the B1 again 2.5 years later. There's a lack of joined up thinking at UKVI on this, unless of course, they are just deliberately making things awkward and unnecessarily expensive for people. Perish the thought.
Thanks for the reply - agree on your latter thought, why make things easier for capable individuals when you can make it more frustrating!

Originally Posted by j4v3d
Hopefully some useful information here for you: Prepare for IELTS Life Skills | Take IELTS

Not sure if you can go straight to B1 from A1. So i won't be able to answer that.
Thanks for the link, will be helpful.