30 days to enter UK

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

MeganR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 30 days to enter UK

Hi, I have read a few times in different places that when your visa is approved, you have 30 days to enter the UK and pick up your BRP.

I am confused about how you time your application based on this? As the processing times vary, do you apply early and take a risk that they will process it really quickly and then you are obliged to enter the UK earlier than you had planned?

To give a bit of background, my husband is a teacher and will (hopefully) secure a teaching job starting early January 2017, and I will be applying for visas for myself and our two young children. I am worried that if we apply and they process the visas quickly or slower than expected, we will be forced to travel alone without my husband because he has his current teaching commitments to stay for until mid December.

Any clarification on this 30 day thing would be really helpful! Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30 days to enter UK

Originally Posted by MeganR
Hi, I have read a few times in different places that when your visa is approved, you have 30 days to enter the UK and pick up your BRP.

I am confused about how you time your application based on this? As the processing times vary, do you apply early and take a risk that they will process it really quickly and then you are obliged to enter the UK earlier than you had planned?

To give a bit of background, my husband is a teacher and will (hopefully) secure a teaching job starting early January 2017, and I will be applying for visas for myself and our two young children. I am worried that if we apply and they process the visas quickly or slower than expected, we will be forced to travel alone without my husband because he has his current teaching commitments to stay for until mid December.

Any clarification on this 30 day thing would be really helpful! Thanks
Hi Megan - if your husband is the British citizen (sponsor), then you can't enter the UK before him, you'll need to either travel with him or after him.

A lot of us have struggled with the 30 day requirement, unfortunately there's no way around it. My husband (sponsor) went on ahead while I stayed in Australia and tidied up the sale of our house etc. Best of luck.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:02 am
Just Joined

morris1773 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the 30 start from when the visa starts or when the confirmation letter is sent? For example if you defer the visa by 3 months, does this not work any longer?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 1:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The 30 days starts from the date you indicate you will be entering the UK on your application form or from the date your vignette is issued, whichever is later. You can specify a date up to three months in advance.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:38 am
Just Joined

MeganR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The 30 days starts from the date you indicate you will be entering the UK on your application form or from the date your vignette is issued, whichever is later. You can specify a date up to three months in advance.
That sounds good! Thank you. It did seem a bit outrageous that they could give you a month starting at a random time to pack up everything and go. This whole visa thing is so confusing.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Does this then effectively give you up to four months?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Does this then effectively give you up to four months?
Only if your application was processed and approved the same day you applied. From memory I don't think the system permits you to choose a date more than three months in advance.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

omario2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, my wife started filling her application online on 12th of August and that time we put 1st of November as our travel date to the UK. Our plans changed slightly i.e. out travel date postponed by a month or so. We still haven't finished completing the form (preparation of required documents have taken longer as we live n Bangladesh). I have tried changing the arrival date later (20th of Dec since we will submit the form on 20th of September). It does let us change the date however when we log back in, on the first page it still says 'travel date:1st of Nov'.

Should we just delete that application and fill another one in? or should we explain and ask for the correct travel date in the covering letter?

any other ideas?

Thank you all in advance!