British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   2 years back in UK and we are off again (planned) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/2-years-back-uk-we-off-again-planned-770338/)

Pomster Sep 2nd 2012 7:34 pm

2 years back in UK and we are off again (planned)

we have been back in UK for 2 years, and will be heading back to Oz shortly.

It has been a great gap (2) year(s) and perfect timing with our little daughter (who just completed reception here). We have enjoyed all that UK has to offer- with the exception of traffic queues and a non existent summer!
We saw so much and have travelled fairly extensively around the country, and being members of National Trust and English Heritage has been invaluable. Apparently we have seen more of the country than most of our friends and family who 'always know it is there' so tend to never visit interesting parts of UK.

I got to spend some time with my mother before she died, and that will always be something I cherish; and I'm happy that I was there to support one of my closest friends when his mother died.

So for us, all in all, a mostly positive experience, just marred by never seeing my family who always were too busy to see us! Maybe that was a polite way of saying they were not interested??

Anyway good luck to all who are thinking of moving/moving/settled- wherever that takes you.

chris955 Sep 3rd 2012 12:17 pm

Re: 2 years back in UK and we are off again (planned)

I hope you find what you are looking for in Australia. I am surprised the time has been a mostly positive experience as the overwhelming majority of your posts have been very negative but anyway I'm glad you are heading 'home'.

Pomster Sep 6th 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10261447)
I hope you find what you are looking for in Australia. I am surprised the time has been a mostly positive experience as the overwhelming majority of your posts have been very negative but anyway I'm glad you are heading 'home'.

you do pnly see what you want to see, as always

chris955 Sep 6th 2012 6:55 am

I just see what you post, mostly negative stuff but if that is how you are then thats fair enough.

GillnAndy Oct 11th 2012 2:16 am

Hi Guys

Have been reading your story and my wife and i are wanting to return to the UK for good with our Australian born son (will be 4) and i just wanted to ask for some advice regrading passports and citizenship for him. We are both UK passport holders with PResidency for Australia, our son was born in Australia and has an Australian passport. Want i wanted to aks is how do we go about getting him UK citizenship and a passport and also do we need to get his Austrlain Citizenship evethough he has an Australian passport and was born here.

Hope you or anyone else can assist us

Thanks

quoll Oct 11th 2012 5:27 am

Originally Posted by GillnAndy (Post 10324678)
Hi Guys

Have been reading your story and my wife and i are wanting to return to the UK for good with our Australian born son (will be 4) and i just wanted to ask for some advice regrading passports and citizenship for him. We are both UK passport holders with PResidency for Australia, our son was born in Australia and has an Australian passport. Want i wanted to aks is how do we go about getting him UK citizenship and a passport and also do we need to get his Austrlain Citizenship evethough he has an Australian passport and was born here.

Hope you or anyone else can assist us

Thanks

You just get him a British passport (assuming you are both British otherwise than by descent - ie basically, born there) by filling in form C2 and taking it off to your local post office (preferably before you leave Aus otherwise you may find his Aus passport stamped with a 6 month stay). He is an Aus citizen, you don't need to do anything other than keep his birth certificate safe.

Good luck with your move Pomster, hope it turns out to be what you are looking for but if not you can always move on somewhere else.

GillnAndy Oct 11th 2012 6:14 am

Many thanks for that, didn't realise it was that simple. Was thinking we had to get the little ones citizenship papers as well.

Really appreciate your helpful advice:)

GillnAndy Oct 11th 2012 10:53 pm

Can anyone recommend a good shipping company

There are obviously several around but we appreciate any recommendations

Thanks

Tel8 Nov 12th 2012 6:59 pm

good luck Pomster!! It sounds like a wonderful adventure for you, and I'm glad you enjoyed being back in the UK! Life's not always pleasant, but if you thought it was good overall then that's what counts. :)

curleytops Nov 14th 2012 7:15 am

Good luck Pomster, safe journey!

dunroving Nov 14th 2012 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 10260348)
we have been back in UK for 2 years, and will be heading back to Oz shortly.

It has been a great gap (2) year(s) and perfect timing with our little daughter (who just completed reception here). We have enjoyed all that UK has to offer- with the exception of traffic queues and a non existent summer!
We saw so much and have travelled fairly extensively around the country, and being members of National Trust and English Heritage has been invaluable. Apparently we have seen more of the country than most of our friends and family who 'always know it is there' so tend to never visit interesting parts of UK.

I got to spend some time with my mother before she died, and that will always be something I cherish; and I'm happy that I was there to support one of my closest friends when his mother died.

So for us, all in all, a mostly positive experience, just marred by never seeing my family who always were too busy to see us! Maybe that was a polite way of saying they were not interested??

Anyway good luck to all who are thinking of moving/moving/settled- wherever that takes you.

I only just spotted this, as some recent responses have been posted.

Glad you have a positive spin on the 2 years you spent in the UK and hope your next adventure is a success. Always do what is right for you and those who are closest to you, and don't let anyone rain on your parade!

si.young Mar 27th 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by GillnAndy (Post 10326469)
Can anyone recommend a good shipping company

There are obviously several around but we appreciate any recommendations

Thanks

Hi, we are considering moving back to the UK after living in Oz for 7 years. We also have a 2 year old who was born in Australia (plus 2 older children who was born in the UK). I was wondering if you have moved yet and whether you feel you did the right thing?

WhoFan63 Mar 27th 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Pomster, I'm glad you had a great time in the 2 years you were there. :) It's wonderful to hear a positive experience and I hope you have a safe trip back to Oz. A new adventure begins again :) lol

Irish Guinness Mar 27th 2013 10:06 pm

Good luck Pomster on your return to Oz. Hope it all works out for you and family. Are you going to return to Victoria ? or are you trying another art of oz?
Cheers I.G.:thumbsup:

Pomster Mar 31st 2013 8:03 am

we are back in Melbourne (as we left our friends and house there) and are pretty settled......embarking on a house build, new job, daughter in school..but thats for the Oz forum!