Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

​​​​​​​Civil Partnership with US girlfriend for marriage visa UK

​​​​​​​Civil Partnership with US girlfriend for marriage visa UK

Old Apr 11th 2019, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Atlanta2Cardiff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ​​​​​​​Civil Partnership with US girlfriend for marriage visa UK

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum but I was hoping for some help as I’ve been going in circles for some information.

First a short backstory:
My girlfriend and I met 3 years ago and have been together for the last 2.5 years, I live in Wales (born and raised) and she is from Atlanta, Georgia. For the last 2 years we have been back and forth every 2 months or so visiting each other. In January she came over to Bristol to study abroad on a 6 study visa - our plan is for her to move over here permanently in the summer.

We have decided that we are going to get a civil partnership as we would prefer to get married a few years down the line and she will live here with me on a marriage visa. We have bought a house for us to move into at the end of June and fulfil all of the criteria, I understand that the most common issue is the salary to sponsor your partner but I earn over the requirement so that won’t be a problem.

I’m wondering if anyone knows where we can get a civil partnership that we don’t need a visa to do it. I know that we can get a fiancé visa for her to come to the UK and for us to do it here however I know that will require her going back home for up to 12 weeks and it’s very expensive. Ideally we’re looking to go to another country where we can get the civil partnership without having to get a fiancé visa or anything like that. The biggest struggle that I’m finding so far is:
  1. Countries that accept civil partnership between a heterosexual couple
  2. Countries that allow a civil partnership between two visitors
  3. Countries that allow a civil partnership without a fiance visa (or similar)
  4. A civil partnership that will stand for the marriage visa

I found this on the gov page as is a little concerning:
Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if both of the following apply:
  • you followed the correct process in the country where you got married
  • it would be allowed under UK Law
Also if we were able to get a civil partnership abroad would she then be able to enter the UK on a visitor and apply for a marriage visa while she is over here?

Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Apr 11th 2019, 11:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ​​​​​​​Civil Partnership with US girlfriend for marriage visa UK

Hi and welcome to BE. Unfortunately your plan isn't possible, the term civil partnership in the UK immigration rules only relates to same sex couples. To meet the relationship requirement for a Family of a Settled Person visa (commonly known as a spouse visa), you and your girlfriend would need to have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for a minimum of 2 years. Marriage removes the 2 year cohabitation requirement.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 11th 2019 at 11:22 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 12:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The ability for mixed sex couples to form a civil partnership in England and Wales has been announced but not yet legislated for. Therefore any civil partnership you enter into abroad, as a PACS in France, would not be recognised under UK law. The simplest thing to do is marry the next time you visit the US. You can always have a larger blessing with friends and family later down the line if you’d like to.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 2:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

BritInParis' advice is best, but hypothetically, even if you could find a country and a form of partnership that meets the requirements to support a UK marriage visa (and it appears that you won't be able to), this ….
Originally Posted by Atlanta2Cardiff
Also if we were able to get a civil partnership abroad would she then be able to enter the UK on a visitor and apply for a marriage visa while she is over here? ...
… is flat out impossible - you can only apply for a UK visa from outside the UK, full stop.