Which visa do we need?

Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

SophieDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which visa do we need?

Few bullet points;

Unmarried couple, I'm the British Citizen living permanently in the UK, my partner lives in WV, USA and wants to emigrate here ASAP, and eventually work, however, this doesn't have to be straight away I can afford to fund us both for the first six months. We want to do this as cheaply as possible (understandably). Which visa do we need? I've looked on Directgov time and time again, and it's very confusing. Can she apply for an EEA permit, or not, because I'm a British Citizen?

I hope someone can help us.

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which visa do we need?

Originally Posted by SophieDoyle
Few bullet points;

Unmarried couple, I'm the British Citizen living permanently in the UK, my partner lives in WV, USA and wants to emigrate here ASAP, and eventually work, however, this doesn't have to be straight away I can afford to fund us both for the first six months. We want to do this as cheaply as possible (understandably). Which visa do we need? I've looked on Directgov time and time again, and it's very confusing. Can she apply for an EEA permit, or not, because I'm a British Citizen?

Thanks.
I've moved your post to our Moving back to the UK section as you had posted in the Australian forums. Hopefully you'll be able to get some answers here as lots of people in similar positions. Good luck and welcome to BE
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Oh, wow, sorry for that! Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Few bullet points;

Thanks.
He can't get an EEA Family permit because you are a British Citizen, you really need to read this thread and the info in there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...mation-830478/

You will need to be the sponsor, and will have to fulfil the financial requirements, if using the savings route, you can be GIVEN enough money by someone else, but it must NOT be a loan as you will have to keep it in the account for several years.
There is, I'm afraid, no real way round it unless your partner has British or Irish parents or grandparents.
You should also read the following..

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

Surinder Singh : British Expat Wiki

These give you all the options.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Few bullet points;

Thanks.
You can't use an EEA permit as you are British.

You can't apply as an unmarried couple because for that visa you need to have lived together for 2 years, akin to marriage.

There is no visa for what you want. Have you considered marriage?

Last edited by formula; Aug 22nd 2014 at 11:24 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Formula, you've hit the nail on the head here, I knew I was struggling for a reason, there really is no visa. Yes, we are looking to get married, but cannot do this yet as I'm currently going through a divorce. Any ideas?
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Formula, you've hit the nail on the head here, I knew I was struggling for a reason, there really is no visa. Yes, we are looking to get married, but cannot do this yet as I'm currently going through a divorce. Any ideas?
Wait till the divorce is sorted is your only answer, he can come to visit as a tourist in the meantime, but can't work etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

It doesn't matter about working for the first six months. All I keep reading is you have to have been together for two years, or married. What about being engaged?
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter about working for the first six months. All I keep reading is you have to have been together for two years, or married. What about being engaged?
You need to prove you will marry in the UK within 6 months, for the 6 month fiance visa.
Do you earn at least £18,600pa to be able to sponsor her?

When you are married, she applies for a spouse visa from within the UK and once granted, she can then work.

Last edited by formula; Aug 22nd 2014 at 11:55 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

The divorce takes between 3-6 months. My partner was hoping to be here just before Christmas, but the way this is going, maybe not. And no, I don't earn that much money per year.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

And no, I don't earn that much money per year.
Then you can't sponsor her for a visa, unless you have savings of £62,500.

Can she sponsor you to the US?
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

I cannot move to the U.S, there is no way. I have a six month old daughter conceived with my ex partner who I'm getting divorced from and also a court order stating my daughter is not allowed to leave the UK unless agreement by the courts in the UK. I'm stuck here.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I cannot move to the U.S, there is no way. I have a six month old daughter conceived with my ex partner who I'm getting divorced from and also a court order stating my daughter is not allowed to leave the UK unless agreement by the courts in the UK. I'm stuck here.
Have you got any savings between you? You can use joint savings and your salary.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

She has savings, not much, a few hundred dollars. I have no savings unfortunately and I don't earn alot.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Is our only option to apply for the 'Apply to join family living in the UK permanently' and just pray and hope my divorce is finalized, and we get married quickly in the UK? (if we get engaged first)

Last edited by SophieDoyle; Aug 22nd 2014 at 12:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.