Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Scheme - Hong Kong

Working Holiday Scheme - Hong Kong

Old May 5th 2014, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

LeeVK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Scheme - Hong Kong

Dear expat friends,

my girlfriend has been offered a job working as a teacher in Hong Kong - happy days! However, I'm having some difficulty finding work from a distance, due to the fact that I lack a degree, which means it will be hard for me to find a school willing to sponsor me for a working visa.

I've read online that the UK has recently setup a working holiday scheme, as of January 2014. I've found quite a lot of websites that provide information regarding HKSAR citizens, that wish to work/travel in the UK for a year, but little in the form of visa versa.

I am wondering if anybody knows the quota for British citizens - AKA, how many they are giving out each year, and what the time frame for applications is.

This forum, and its members, were incredibly helpful when I went through the process of obtaining my Canadian working holiday visa - so I'd like to say thanks in advance for any info/help you can give me this time around!
Old May 6th 2014, 6:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Scheme - Hong Kong

Originally Posted by LeeVK
Dear expat friends,

my girlfriend has been offered a job working as a teacher in Hong Kong - happy days! However, I'm having some difficulty finding work from a distance, due to the fact that I lack a degree, which means it will be hard for me to find a school willing to sponsor me for a working visa.

I've read online that the UK has recently setup a working holiday scheme, as of January 2014. I've found quite a lot of websites that provide information regarding HKSAR citizens, that wish to work/travel in the UK for a year, but little in the form of visa versa.

I am wondering if anybody knows the quota for British citizens - AKA, how many they are giving out each year, and what the time frame for applications is.

This forum, and its members, were incredibly helpful when I went through the process of obtaining my Canadian working holiday visa - so I'd like to say thanks in advance for any info/help you can give me this time around!
The quota from the UK is 1000 per annum, first come first served. Not sure about processing times but I shouldn't imagine it takes too long. Chinese immigration is fairly efficient in my limited experience.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...nce-notes.html
Old May 7th 2014, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Chinese immigration is fairly efficient in my limited experience.
I think you mean Hong Kong Immigration !! Please don't confuse the two !!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
I think you mean Hong Kong Immigration !! Please don't confuse the two !!
The OP will need to apply via the Chinese Embassy in London. As I said, in my fairly limited experience, they're quite efficient.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

They can apply directly to the HKSAR.

Application Procedures on the HKSAR website :-

"4

To apply for the Working Holiday visa, an applicant needs to complete a visa application form ID(E)940 which is obtainable from the Information Office of the HKSAR Immigration Department as well as Chinese diplomatic and consular missions (CDCMs) (Note 6, Annex) in the participating country. Xerox copy of the visa application form will also be accepted. Applicants are strongly advised to read the relevant guidance notes ID(E)940A before completing the application form.

Completed visa applications together with the necessary supporting documents may be submitted to the HKSAR Immigration Department direct by post or through a local connection. They may also be submitted to the CDCMs in the participating country."
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

millianna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LeeVK
Dear expat friends,

Hello! Did you manage to obtain a Working Holiday Visa in the end? I'm planning to apply in January - would you mind answering a few questions for me?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

lumarmacy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am currently thinking of applying for the Working Holiday visa for Hong Kong.

Before applying I was wondering if anyone could help answer my questions, I'm been trying to phone the Immigration Dept in Hong Kong directly, but with no joy thus far.

1) Is the Working Holiday Visa valid for 12months from date of issue or date of entry?

2) From date of issue of the visa, does there exist a certain amount of time that you must enter HK by? I have seen other visas where you must enter the country 3 months after date of issue, however haven't seen any explicit mention of this in relation to the HK visa.

Hope someone can help, in the meantime I'll keep calling HK Immigration office.

Thanks,
Martin
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum

I'm not in HK so cannot help, but I do know that it's the big holidays in China and HK at the moment. Maybe why you cannot get through on the phone ?
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by lumarmacy
Hello,

I am currently thinking of applying for the Working Holiday visa for Hong Kong.

Before applying I was wondering if anyone could help answer my questions, I'm been trying to phone the Immigration Dept in Hong Kong directly, but with no joy thus far.

1) Is the Working Holiday Visa valid for 12months from date of issue or date of entry?
Date of entry.

2) From date of issue of the visa, does there exist a certain amount of time that you must enter HK by? I have seen other visas where you must enter the country 3 months after date of issue, however haven't seen any explicit mention of this in relation to the HK visa.
It's usually 90 days although I couldn't tell you for certain for this particular visa.