working culture in hong kong

Old Aug 9th 2014, 9:40 am
Just Joined

tim97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile working culture in hong kong

Hi all,

I just received an offer for a engineering position in hong kong on local conditions. The company will sponsor my work visa for the first year, after that renew the visa every 2 years.

My question is does the companies in hong kong have a hire and fire culture like it is in USA/Australia? Say after one year I get the boot? Or they are willing to extend the visa to the 2nd and 3rd years? How easy it is to renew the working visa? I will be working on local government projects. I understand there is no more 13 month chinese new year bonus, no annual flights back home, no repatriation benefits. What is the experience of other expats?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Default Re: working culture in hong kong

Any comments?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:24 am
Just Joined

I am sure people have some recent experience
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim97
Hi all,

I just received an offer for a engineering position in hong kong on local conditions. The company will sponsor my work visa for the first year, after that renew the visa every 2 years.

My question is does the companies in hong kong have a hire and fire culture like it is in USA/Australia? Say after one year I get the boot? Or they are willing to extend the visa to the 2nd and 3rd years? How easy it is to renew the working visa? I will be working on local government projects. I understand there is no more 13 month chinese new year bonus, no annual flights back home, no repatriation benefits. What is the experience of other expats?
Welcome. Please don't expect many or immediate responses because this is quite a sleepy forum (HK/China).

The "good old days" of salary, housing allowance, 13th month salary, car, driver, maid, medical, airfares etc. have long gone in many industries including engineering / construction, except in very senior positions. However, it does still exist in many of the senior financial sector positions.

So it is quite normal for foreigners to be on "local conditions" which essentially means a salary and that's it. What you have to ensure is that the salary is sufficient to cover your cost of living.

Housing is very expensive and will be your biggest expenditure. If you are single then you don't have to worry about schooling, but if you have kids at school it can be very difficult as there is a serious lack of school places and its expensive.

I wouldn't say there was a US type hire / fire culture here. It takes time to find suitable employees from overseas and apply / secure a work permit and once a work permit has been secured it is much simpler to renew it than apply for a new permit for someone else. So as long as you are not completely incompetent you are unlikely to be replaced by someone else.

Last edited by hong_konger; Aug 11th 2014 at 3:05 am.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Any comments?
Yes: in the situation you describe, I'd assume the company is offering you a 1 year contract, which may or may not be renewed.

S
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for reply. What do you mean by very senior people in the engineering/construction industry? Are you talking about director level people?
Has the wages increased with inflation? From what I heard, it hasn't. Ie a principal engineer getting 60-65k hkd per month is still getting the same salary. I heard rentals have dropped a little around 5 to 10 percent. Is that true?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply. What do you mean by very senior people in the engineering/construction industry? Are you talking about director level people?
Has the wages increased with inflation? From what I heard, it hasn't. Ie a principal engineer getting 60-65k hkd per month is still getting the same salary. I heard rentals have dropped a little around 5 to 10 percent. Is that true?
Yes I'm talking Director / Chief Executive levels although it does vary from company to company. Where Expat packages are offered to lower grades of staff it tends not to make a huge difference as when you add up the various components it may come pretty close your all-in lump sum salary.

If you are correct that rentals have dropped 10% and salaries have not changed then clearly wages have kept up with inflation, seeing as rent is your biggest expenditure !!

However, as I see it, although wages may not have risen much over the past year or two they are still on the high side. Rentals reached a peak about a year or two ago also and may have dropped a little in some areas but not everywhere.

If your job is Government related and your salary is fixed within a published Government salary scale then then clearly you have no room to negotiate above the top end of the scale, but if you are working in the private sector then its a free market and you can negotiate whatever you can get.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Yes I'm talking Director / Chief Executive levels although it does vary from company to company. Where Expat packages are offered to lower grades of staff it tends not to make a huge difference as when you add up the various components it may come pretty close your all-in lump sum salary.

If you are correct that rentals have dropped 10% and salaries have not changed then clearly wages have kept up with inflation, seeing as rent is your biggest expenditure !!

However, as I see it, although wages may not have risen much over the past year or two they are still on the high side. Rentals reached a peak about a year or two ago also and may have dropped a little in some areas but not everywhere.

If your job is Government related and your salary is fixed within a published Government salary scale then then clearly you have no room to negotiate above the top end of the scale, but if you are working in the private sector then its a free market and you can negotiate whatever you can get.
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean wages are on a high side? It is low by western standards plus relative higher housing costs in hong kong?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean wages are on a high side? It is low by western standards plus relative higher housing costs in hong kong?
Well if that is the case for the position you have been offered then I guess you will be turning it down ?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Well if that is the case for the position you have been offered then I guess you will be turning it down ?
Not sure. The western world is in a depressed state at the moment
Old Aug 11th 2014, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure. The western world is in a depressed state at the moment
If you are single then you could live quite well. You could find a decent 1 bed apartment for around 15-18k. You don't need a car unless you work in a remote location, or decide to live in a remote location. The public transport system here is one of the best in the world.

As a single guy you will enjoy a very good social life.

From my experience, you will either hate it and leave within 2 years or love it and live here for 20yrs.

Last edited by hong_konger; Aug 11th 2014 at 6:56 am.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:05 am
Just Joined

There's 2 of us, me and my wife. Is a salary of around 60k hkd per month going to lead to an above average lifestyle in 2014? I have read from the forums it is sufficient, but won't be a expat lifestyle. We have to live local.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I found this thread a bit confusing with some replies perhaps missing words etc

But it may help if you, tim97, were to give some additional info.

Such as:
Private company or ...
Place of work
Salary is HK$60k pm with no extras, not even airfares or medical???
Will your wife be working

As it stands I wouldn't say 60k will give above average lifestyle if you are comparing yourself to other expats.

Last edited by ex reg; Aug 11th 2014 at 11:15 am.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
I found this thread a bit confusing with some replies perhaps missing words etc

But it may help if you, tim97, were to give some additional info.

Such as:
Private company or ...
Place of work
Salary is HK$60k pm with no extras, not even airfares or medical???
Will your wife be working

As it stands I wouldn't say 60k will give above average lifestyle if you are comparing yourself to other expats.
Relocation with airfares and one month accommodation and furniture package provided.
Medical provided for family.
Private company
Government projects

I heard engineering is not a big payer in HK.
Only finance pays big money.
Wife work is optional
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Relocation with airfares and one month accommodation and furniture package provided.
Medical provided for family.
Private company
Government projects

I heard engineering is not a big payer in HK.
Only finance pays big money.
Wife work is optional
Its do-able on 60k but you wont have a whole lot left over at the end on the month.
If you can get your wife to work p/t that will be ideal.
You can live well and cheaply.
If you are thinking of having kids get their names down at kindergartens and schools now (kidding).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.