Visa for UK citizen

Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

NewbieHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for UK citizen

Hi all,

I understand UK citizens can stay in HK for 180 days with no visa as such, however if they want to stay and work in HK is that something that can be applied for upon securing a position while in HK?

I have read contrasting things online, one stating that working visa's have to applied for while the person is still in the UK etc.

This is for my partner who will be moving out with me and will look for work upon arrival, if nothing secured before the move date.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge re this?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for UK citizen

Yes 180 days for UK citizens. Its no problem to apply for a work permit after your partner gets here but the application must be made by the employer so your partner will need to secure a job first. Before approving a work permit, the Immigration Department will need to be convinced that the position cannot be filled by a local resident. After the work permit is approved your partner will have to leave HK and re-enter on that permit but that is a good excuse for a weekend in Macau. You are not supposed to work while the application is in process.