A visa question

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Lister2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A visa question

Hi, everyone. I live in Zhejiang province. I will be getting married this year to a Chinese girl who I met while I've been teaching here. We don't plan to move back to England any time soon (as we are both happy here) but We would like to make fairly regular visits home (probably only annually) to visit my family. As I said, we don't want to settle in England, so a permanent resident visa doesn't seem relevant. Applying for a new 6 month visiting visa every year will be a lot of hassle and cost a lot of money. I've looked on the websites of several UK agencies, but I can't find anything that matches what I'm looking for. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:03 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A visa question

You will get a 'Resident Permit' Which will say on it 'visiting family' valid for 1 year no duration of stay multiple entries.

looks like this

And i doub't you'll be going back to UK anytime soon anyway fella, you do know the rules have changed for a spouse visa... its terrible man, i'll be in the same boat at you once i leave china...

I know you said Resident Permit is not what you're looking for but i would go down that route anyway much better than an L visa.

Last edited by Vexcore; Jun 2nd 2013 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

I think the OP is referring to a UK visa for his wife, isn't he? If so, then I think what he needs is a Family Visit visa. I agree that the UK visa situation is far from clear for people like us who have a wife from outside the EU and do not intend to settle in the UK but wish to visit family and friends from time to time.

I went through all of this last year with my Filipina wife and she got a two year multiple Family Visit visa, issued without any problems. These are not cheap by the way - I think HK$3000+ - if I remember. On the other hand, her 10 year multiple entry US visa and 5 Year multiple entry Canadian visa were a good deal cheaper. The UK seems to have a rather perverse attitude towards the foreign spouses of its own citizens.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:45 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteinHongKong View Post
The UK seems to have a rather perverse attitude towards the foreign spouses of its own citizens.
Maybe i mis-read what he said? not sure, as for the uk..... they're just too damn scared in case any NONE-EU person claims their benefits....

Visa rules for UK regardless what it is... strict as fu**k even a tourist visa it#s really disgusting this is how the UK treat their own citizens partner? i sense an up-roar happen soon....