Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Travelling through China to Nepal (what about Tibet and visa?)

Travelling through China to Nepal (what about Tibet and visa?)

Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:27 am
Just Joined

coppermill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling through China to Nepal (what about Tibet and visa?)

We are planning to travel through China to Nepal, but of course we will have to go through Tibet, I can't find any information about applying for a Visa for Tibet, other than on the China Embassy website

(5) Applicants planning to tour Tibet should contact the Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region (Tel: 0086-891-6834313; Fax: 0086-891-6834632) and provide visa notification issued by it.

Anyone able to assist?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Travelling through China to Nepal (what about Tibet and visa?)

Originally Posted by coppermill
We are planning to travel through China to Nepal, but of course we will have to go through Tibet, I can't find any information about applying for a Visa for Tibet, other than on the China Embassy website

(5) Applicants planning to tour Tibet should contact the Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region (Tel: 0086-891-6834313; Fax: 0086-891-6834632) and provide visa notification issued by it.

Anyone able to assist?
I do not have the answer to your question but I know someone who has. I have a friend who runs this travel agency (http://www.highlandasiatravel.com/) and has recently helped my American Boss to go to Tibet from Nepal. He knows all about visa requirements in that region. I am sure he will not charge you for your visa inquiry. Click contact page and either call him or e-mail him. He lives in Minnesota, so it is US Central Time.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:42 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling through China to Nepal (what about Tibet and visa?)

Originally Posted by Wikitravel
Tourism to Tibet is strictly controlled by the Chinese government, and restrictions were further ratcheted up after the riots before the 2008 Olympics. As of 2009, the previous "backpacker" tours, which included the permit and a couple of nights stay in Lhasa is no longer an option and all travelers must stay with an organized trip the entire time they are in Tibet.

All foreign visitors to Tibet need one or more permits. The basic one is the Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) permit, which can be issued to you by Chinese travel agencies that handle trips to Tibet, or (if overseas and arriving via Nepal) by the Chinese embassy in Kathmandu on proof of purchasing a package tour (there is no way around this). If you buy an expensive package tour, the TTB permit will only cost you US$6, but if you just want train/plane tickets (which, as of 2009, no longer seems to be possible), the travel agency will inflate their cut accordingly and you'll need to fork out up to US$50-70. For land crossings (including the train), you'll get a physical permit that will be checked; for plane tickets, the permit may just be an annotation on your ticket record.

Some parts of Tibet also require an Aliens' Travel Permit (ATP), which is issued by the Public Security Bureau (PSB) in major Tibetan cities like Lhasa, Xigatse and Ali. The list of regions that require ATPs changes constantly, so enquire locally. Lhasa's PSB has a poor reputation, while Xigatse and Ali are said to issue permits without any unnecessary difficulties. If your papers are in order, the permit can be issued in several hours for Y100.

Finally, some remote areas also require a military permit. These are only available in Lhasa, where processing takes several days, and are only granted for an appropriate reason.

See also Overland to Tibet and Tibetan journeys.
Should be fairly straightforward and you can sort it out with a Chinese travel agency once you're there.