Shanghai rental prices

Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shanghai rental prices

Originally Posted by leeboy
Hey MonsterP

I have been to Shanghai and have been offered a job... it looks I will be heading out there within the next 2 weeks.. I have 2 weeks accommodation arranged in a hotel in the centre of Shanghai and then im left to look after myself - Any additional rental advise would be amazing im looking to pay on the lower end..... during my interview i was advised that rent could be found for as little as 2500 RMB per month and up to 5000RMB - i wouldnt want to go over this tho and dont mind having to catch the metro to peoples square in the morning - sorry - thats where i wil be working, on peoples square (so accommodation should be accessible to this)...

cheers all and thanks in advance for any additional advice

Lee
Hi Lee. Congratulations!
You don't have much time to come out and perhaps you need to check how much time you need to process your Z visa paperwork before you leave.
If you're looking for a cheap hotel beyond your first couple of weeks, which you might have to, the Hanting Express chain of hotels is a budget hotel for about 100 rmb per night.
Whoever told you that you can get an apartment for 2500-5000rmb / month is referring to local Chinese accommodation, and it's probably not what you would like to stay in quite frankly unless it's the size of a hotel room. I take it then that the company is not covering this for you.
I used to live in Jing An, at a place called Yunhe Gardens. Its on the corner of Yanping Lu / Xinzha Lu and you'll see a Wagas Cafe on the ground floor. It's not a fantastic place, but you may get a one bedroom apartment there for 5000-7000rmb/month, around 85 SqM. Just check the agents. It all depends on what you're prepared to stay in. Many foreigners live around there, and it's only 10 minutes walk from Jing An Temple Metro Station which will get you to People's Sq in about 10 minutes. I used to get off one stop after. People's Sq is murder for getting the train though - it will be an experience!
You don't need to drive in Shanghai, even our MD there doesn't, and gets the subway every day.
Just ensure that the estate agent doesn't entice you to pay him commission for finding an apartment, only the landlord is responsible to pay him, no matter what they tell you.

regards
Paul
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:33 am
Just Joined

leeboy is an unknown quantity at this point

@MonsterP,

Ok, sounds good...

The company are covering me for 2 weeks in a hotel of serviced apartment until I can find something. I really dont mind having to catch the metro a few stops if this helps reduce the price.... I know most we will find out when were theere I guess Im anxious and keen to make sure we dont miss out on a good deal or end up in a real bad neighbourhood...

any more advice is welcomed but cheers for everything so far, been a great help...

As for my Visa, I will enter on a tourist visa and then the company will send me to Hongkong to arrange my work visa and permit etc - i believe..

Regards

Lee
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

@MonsterP,

Ok, sounds good...

The company are covering me for 2 weeks in a hotel of serviced apartment until I can find something. I really dont mind having to catch the metro a few stops if this helps reduce the price.... I know most we will find out when were theere I guess Im anxious and keen to make sure we dont miss out on a good deal or end up in a real bad neighbourhood...

any more advice is welcomed but cheers for everything so far, been a great help...

As for my Visa, I will enter on a tourist visa and then the company will send me to Hongkong to arrange my work visa and permit etc - i believe..

Regards

Lee
Hi Lee
Catching the Metro is very normal for millions everyday, including foreigners, so don't worry.
I really would recommend Jing An area or the French Concession area, just ask a decent agent like joannarealestate.com. Otherwise, even Zhongshan Park is a decent area too, a couple of more stops away. Just make sure you keep along line 2 of the Metro to reduce hastle.
It sounds acceptable regarding your visa, as it seems they want you there quickly to start the job. Enjoy Shanghai and China!
regards
Paul
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Hi Lee
Catching the Metro is very normal for millions everyday, including foreigners, so don't worry.
I really would recommend Jing An area or the French Concession area, just ask a decent agent like joannarealestate.com. Otherwise, even Zhongshan Park is a decent area too, a couple of more stops away. Just make sure you keep along line 2 of the Metro to reduce hastle.
It sounds acceptable regarding your visa, as it seems they want you there quickly to start the job. Enjoy Shanghai and China!
regards
Paul
Hi MonsterP,

Am here now, and found an apartment in the Jingan area - near the temple... very happy with it.

Ok, heres the complications with my partners situation (fiancee).

She has a mutliple entry tourist visa... I have been advised she may be able to extent here in Pudong twice before having to leave shanghai for hongkong or any neighbouring country... this enables her to stay for up to 90days should the extensions in pudong be granted... I have been warned that she may not get these extensions and may not necessarily be allowed to re-enter the country... nothings certain...

So what I am looking for is any advice - the clear cut option is to get her a job - anywhere, she wants to work also, but i guess i ask for advice as a job is not garenteed - although we will try.

What else could be potentially be done? I understand that with the Expo things have become slightly more strict etc.......

Kind regards

Lee
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi MonsterP,

Am here now, and found an apartment in the Jingan area - near the temple... very happy with it.

Ok, heres the complications with my partners situation (fiancee).

She has a mutliple entry tourist visa... I have been advised she may be able to extent here in Pudong twice before having to leave shanghai for hongkong or any neighbouring country... this enables her to stay for up to 90days should the extensions in pudong be granted... I have been warned that she may not get these extensions and may not necessarily be allowed to re-enter the country... nothings certain...

So what I am looking for is any advice - the clear cut option is to get her a job - anywhere, she wants to work also, but i guess i ask for advice as a job is not garenteed - although we will try.

What else could be potentially be done? I understand that with the Expo things have become slightly more strict etc.......

Kind regards

Lee
Hi Lee,
Your Finacee will be able to live with you in China as your Wife after you're married. As foreigners, you can still both marry in Shanghai.

In the meantime, it would be better if she can find a job in her industry that means she can earn a reasonable expat salary and make the difference as an expat compared with a local. That's why we're all here after all. Use your contacts and company contacts to get some connections.

She can go to China on a tourist visa, although I would take a strong bet that she will only get one month on arrival. It may be possible to extend this, but I'm not sure. A colleague of mine wanted his girlfriend to stay with him in Shanghai, they were not married, but it resulted in her having to regularly fly out of the country. When you're married, it should be a lot easier.
By the way, no point for her to try to get a job in a bar or pub for example. She will only get local salary, maybe 1500/month, and the landlord will not be interested to sponsor her for a visa when they can get a local at the same price and no issues. Just a word of advice on that one.

Best of luck.
regards
Paul
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Lee,
Your Finacee will be able to live with you in China as your Wife after you're married. As foreigners, you can still both marry in Shanghai.

In the meantime, it would be better if she can find a job in her industry that means she can earn a reasonable expat salary and make the difference as an expat compared with a local. That's why we're all here after all. Use your contacts and company contacts to get some connections.

She can go to China on a tourist visa, although I would take a strong bet that she will only get one month on arrival. It may be possible to extend this, but I'm not sure. A colleague of mine wanted his girlfriend to stay with him in Shanghai, they were not married, but it resulted in her having to regularly fly out of the country. When you're married, it should be a lot easier.
By the way, no point for her to try to get a job in a bar or pub for example. She will only get local salary, maybe 1500/month, and the landlord will not be interested to sponsor her for a visa when they can get a local at the same price and no issues. Just a word of advice on that one.

Best of luck.
regards
Paul
Hi Paul,

Cheers for that, We got her a 1 year multiple entry visa... But yes, she gets 30 days per entry - I have been told that She can extend twice before having to leave shanghai for either Hongkong or another neighbouring country...

Do they offer visa runs here? such as in other countries?
Also, whats the rough price of going to hongkong from shanghai? yes i can google, but just wondering what others have paid

The problem with her working is that she has no skills - no education related skills i mean - that would get her a well paid job so to speak....

No rerally sure what to do regarding her
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Hi Lee,

Best of luck.
regards
Paul
Another 2 quickies i hope Paul or anyone who knows this...

I want to use a blackberry - but how? I used one everywhere else but no-one can seem to offer me advice on a)which sim card to buy and b) how much a data plan will be per month....

secondaly, I owe my mum money - how on earth can i send her money from shanghai? I am finding this near impossible and somethig that takes up to 2 weeks jsut to get the money in the correct currency through my bank?!?!? im lost lol.......

anything at all would help massively......
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Hurdle_bunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Shanghai rental prices

As for getting money out of China - tricky. Best idea is to carry cash out or give it to others who are going back home (depends how indebted you are to your mother I guess). Mothers are pretty understanding about repayment terms! The banks restrict the amount you can change. However, good news is that you can open a bank account in a flash - takes 5 minutes at the counter then you can change as much as you like any time you like. You also get a bank card which you can use in cash machines and shops as I'm sure you have noticed visa and mastercard are not widely accepted.

Good luck

Sian in Nanjing
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurdle_bunter
As for getting money out of China - tricky. Best idea is to carry cash out or give it to others who are going back home (depends how indebted you are to your mother I guess). Mothers are pretty understanding about repayment terms! The banks restrict the amount you can change. However, good news is that you can open a bank account in a flash - takes 5 minutes at the counter then you can change as much as you like any time you like. You also get a bank card which you can use in cash machines and shops as I'm sure you have noticed visa and mastercard are not widely accepted.

Good luck

Sian in Nanjing
Sian,

Thank you ever so much for offering me advice, its much appreciated

I have opened a bank accoutn with bank of china (My company in Shanghai asked me to use this bank). It was this bank that then told me that i could only exchange 500RMB per day into other currencies and then I would have to pay between 260 - 400 RMB to transfer the money to the uk :O AND there may be a receiving charge on the other end.....

The monies not a great deal to be fair, but Family is family and I dont like to owe anyone money - especially mums

I was hoping for a loop hole, but i guess there is none..... Although - any thoughts on this? If i got a family member in the UK to opena HSBC account - could i pay it into there from a HSBC in Shanghai? I guess the fees etc would all be applicable anyway.... hmmm, this is not easy...

Apart from the money things - any HOT tips for Shanghai sian? Obviously the EXPO will eb worth a visit, but anything else worth pointing out?

I am having dilehems as to mobile phones also.... how on earth do i attach a data plan so that I can use the internet on my phone? Is China mobile the only choice? or is there another? any english web links are welcomed

cheers

lee
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Hurdle_bunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help you much with phones - I have the cheapest one I could find as I have no interest in phones. There are, however, plenty of mobile phone companies to choose from. I just go with China Mobile because it's easy and there's not really any difference between them, they are all pretty cheap.

As for Shanghai, it's about 2.5hrs from Nanjing on the train so I don't often go. Nanjing has plenty to offer if you like history, culture, mountains, Ming tombs and of course the Museum of the Massacre of Nanjing. You have to be in a pretty positive mood when you go in or you'll feel like ending it all by the time you get to the end! There is some pretty grim stuff inside but when I went there the most sick-making thing I experienced was outside near the exit when I saw a cleaner emptying a public spittoon.

Anyway spittoons apart, NJ is a pretty cool place - consider relocating!

Sian
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurdle_bunter
Can't help you much with phones - I have the cheapest one I could find as I have no interest in phones. There are, however, plenty of mobile phone companies to choose from. I just go with China Mobile because it's easy and there's not really any difference between them, they are all pretty cheap.

As for Shanghai, it's about 2.5hrs from Nanjing on the train so I don't often go. Nanjing has plenty to offer if you like history, culture, mountains, Ming tombs and of course the Museum of the Massacre of Nanjing. You have to be in a pretty positive mood when you go in or you'll feel like ending it all by the time you get to the end! There is some pretty grim stuff inside but when I went there the most sick-making thing I experienced was outside near the exit when I saw a cleaner emptying a public spittoon.

Anyway spittoons apart, NJ is a pretty cool place - consider relocating!

Sian
Aweosme Sian,

I will be sure to head to NJ soon and check out not only the spittons but also the museum of massacre sounds interesting for sure....

cheers for all the advice tho every little helps

aboutt he relocating - almost been here 3 weeks now, i dont think im quite ready heeheeee

cheers,

lee
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lee,
Sorry I missed your reply, I've been traveling a lot recently.

Blackberry - well get a sim card from China Telecom and away you go. There is no restrictions in China for using these devices. Perhaps your company is providing a contract for you anyway? I'm not sure of the cost to be honest.

You have an account with Bank of China, that's good, I had the same.
One serious rule in China, keep ALL of your documentation! Especially your TAX documents that you will receive from your company accountant. You cannot send any money out of China without taking these along. Considering you've only just moved there, maybe you don't have them yet, but they're issued every month, presuming you're paid monthly. In China, you cannot send any money out of the country unless you can show that you've paid tax on it, so that's why you take your tax slips. Then you can send as much as you like as long as you've paid the tax, you just need those documents. Note that the bank clerks may get confused (I had this once), they thought that the amount on my tax form was my salary and then calculated how much tax I should have paid, and then how much I would be allowed to send out. You can send out all of your salary, so if they come up with a figure a lot less than you think then this may be the reason and you just need to point out to them that the numbers on your tax form are the amounts of tax you've paid. Hope that's clear.
Secondly the process will take about 1-2 hours in the bank due to all the labourious paperwork involved. You will need the IBAN number of your destination bank account, the address, account number, name etc.
It doesn't take two weeks, all you do is buy sterling (or whatever currency you wish to send), and then send it. The bank does all of this for you on the days rate of exchange. Call the BOC help line (get the number from the website, and they have perfect English speaking customer service people to tell you what the charges are, it's minimal and has minimum and maximum amounts, so when you do send out money, send as much as you can).
Our friend Sian is suggesting some things which are well out of date in Shanghai for a few years now, but perhaps still applicable in Nanjing. Forget carrying cash, it's not necessary at all.
Regarding changing money into cash - a foreigner is restricted to changing the equivalent of USD 500 per day, however, this is not applicable in the above transaction to send out money. Additionally, let's say you wanted some THB to come on holiday to Thailand, just take a Chinese friend with you into the bank, give them RMB cash to change into THB and they are not limited. All they need to do is order the THB in advance by 3-4 days.
Bank Card/ATM card - note that you cannot use this outside of China, anywhere. Not in ATM's, nor in any transactions - one to remember when you travel!
One thing to do if you claim expenses - get them paid in CASH to you and not into your bank account. Otherwise you will not be able to send out that money (because you won't have a tax document to cover it), so the only other way would be to spend it. So get your expenses paid to you in cash to avoid complicating the deposit numbers in your account (and subsequently confusing the bank clerk).

You have a lot of free consultancy here, so I expect you'll be an expert in no time. This took me at least a year of trial and error.

Enjoy Shanghai and the rest of China. PS - the D trains are fantastic to travel on. Go to Nanjing or Hangzhou for example.

Cheers
Paul
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Hi Lee,
Sorry I missed your reply, I've been traveling a lot recently.

Blackberry - well get a sim card from China Telecom and away you go. There is no restrictions in China for using these devices. Perhaps your company is providing a contract for you anyway? I'm not sure of the cost to be honest.

You have an account with Bank of China, that's good, I had the same.
One serious rule in China, keep ALL of your documentation! Especially your TAX documents that you will receive from your company accountant. You cannot send any money out of China without taking these along. Considering you've only just moved there, maybe you don't have them yet, but they're issued every month, presuming you're paid monthly. In China, you cannot send any money out of the country unless you can show that you've paid tax on it, so that's why you take your tax slips. Then you can send as much as you like as long as you've paid the tax, you just need those documents. Note that the bank clerks may get confused (I had this once), they thought that the amount on my tax form was my salary and then calculated how much tax I should have paid, and then how much I would be allowed to send out. You can send out all of your salary, so if they come up with a figure a lot less than you think then this may be the reason and you just need to point out to them that the numbers on your tax form are the amounts of tax you've paid. Hope that's clear.
Secondly the process will take about 1-2 hours in the bank due to all the labourious paperwork involved. You will need the IBAN number of your destination bank account, the address, account number, name etc.
It doesn't take two weeks, all you do is buy sterling (or whatever currency you wish to send), and then send it. The bank does all of this for you on the days rate of exchange. Call the BOC help line (get the number from the website, and they have perfect English speaking customer service people to tell you what the charges are, it's minimal and has minimum and maximum amounts, so when you do send out money, send as much as you can).
Our friend Sian is suggesting some things which are well out of date in Shanghai for a few years now, but perhaps still applicable in Nanjing. Forget carrying cash, it's not necessary at all.
Regarding changing money into cash - a foreigner is restricted to changing the equivalent of USD 500 per day, however, this is not applicable in the above transaction to send out money. Additionally, let's say you wanted some THB to come on holiday to Thailand, just take a Chinese friend with you into the bank, give them RMB cash to change into THB and they are not limited. All they need to do is order the THB in advance by 3-4 days.
Bank Card/ATM card - note that you cannot use this outside of China, anywhere. Not in ATM's, nor in any transactions - one to remember when you travel!
One thing to do if you claim expenses - get them paid in CASH to you and not into your bank account. Otherwise you will not be able to send out that money (because you won't have a tax document to cover it), so the only other way would be to spend it. So get your expenses paid to you in cash to avoid complicating the deposit numbers in your account (and subsequently confusing the bank clerk).

You have a lot of free consultancy here, so I expect you'll be an expert in no time. This took me at least a year of trial and error.

Enjoy Shanghai and the rest of China. PS - the D trains are fantastic to travel on. Go to Nanjing or Hangzhou for example.

Cheers
Paul
Dear Paul,

This advise is amazing, thank you so much, you have cleared up a lot of things that I simply haven't been able to get an answer for

I received my first pay check this week (monthly pay) - Is this adequate as a tax receipt or is there something else I should ask for from my company every month? the amount of tax paid is shown on the wage slip... but I assume you mean something different... Also, I claim fapian (on my rental and food expenditures) in order to reduce my monthly tax - will this affect my allowance to send money home?

Maybe I can call you or something? I have a feeling this is better spoken about in first hand other than the internet - what ever you think is best

Cheers again Paul, very helpful indeed

Regards

Lee
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lee,
You're lucky to be getting a salary slip as most companies in China don't issue one (including mine which is a foreign company).
The Tax document is a totally different thing and you cannot get a reproduction of it once its issued, hence, keep them safe and never lose them.
You will probably find that your Finance Manager or Accountant usually goes to collect these documents once every 3-6 months to be more economical on time.
Preferably, don't transfer your money until you've built up enough savings to make it worth while, otherwise you effectively end up paying more in bank fees.
My rental contract was in the company's name, as there is no tax on rent, and they paid the landlord directly. Not sure if there is any tax difference by you claiming this back as an expense, just check with your company, but it doesn't sound logical to claim that back. Better that either the company pays the landlord directly and the contract is in their name (therefore relieving of you that burden and also any risk of losing deposit when you leave), or better that they pay you a housing allowance. Again though, that shouldn't be taxed. Just check with your company. Effectively though, your expense for housing is only what you've spent locally in RMB (ie it cancels itself out), so you're not going to build up a huge amount of savings from that anyway.

No problem to send me a PM if you want to discuss a little more personal, however, your company should easily be able to answer your questions and no doubt have experience with employing foreigners before or perhaps you're not the only one there anyway.

regards
Paul
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

indesigner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Leeboy

I have just been reading this post and I am in a similar position you were in.

I have been offered a job in Shanghai. I have to find a rental myself and not sure if the wage i get is enough. They have offered me 17,000 RMB per month after tax. Just wondering if you think this is a good wage?

You mentioned you live with your partner can I be nosey and ask you your salary and how much you save each month? I know this might be personal! I just want to make sure I can save at least some money each month!

Any help would help me.Thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.