Shanghai on 10000 RMB?

Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:34 am
Just Joined

pobi-wan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shanghai on 10000 RMB?

Hi all,

I am thinking about moving to Shanghai but the salary I have been offered is only 10,000 RMB a month with no living allowance. You do get health care OR flights home.

If anyone has experience of Shanghai could they let me know if this is livable. I like the company but as my own finances are not brilliant at the moment I am very hesitant to say the least!

Any advice welcomed

Last edited by pobi-wan; Jul 28th 2008 at 12:04 pm. Reason: added info
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:57 am
dys
Just Joined

dys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shanghai on 10000 RMB?

Hi there

I currently live in Shanghai. Whether 10k is sufficient really depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to lead out here. You'll be able to survive but don't expect to be living the expat high-life. For example, if you want to rent you'll own apartment you're looking at about minimum of 4k - however you could share for 2k.

Also Shanghai can be very expensive for certain things, especially for drinking in bars. So, if you enjoy a couple of big nights out a week dont expect to see much change from your monthly salary. Eating out ranges from your dirt cheap hole in the wall places to the ridiculously expensive.

What kind of industry do you work in? If you are an expat hire 10k sounds very low indeed. Do you have any scope to negotiate?

DYS
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:41 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

If they are offering flights OR healthcare with a salary that low I would politely decline their offer and keep looking.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,
My husband has been 'headhunted' for a manufactoring company in Shanghai. It would be a years contract. Obviously ha would be leaving myself and the children here in the uk and still have the mortgage and bills to pay here.
He has been asked what kind of pay package he wants and it has been suggested to him to ask for 85,000 Euros plus apartment plus flights home. Could I have your thoughts on this please? He is going to send the email today with his proposal, so any thoughts asap would be brilliant.
Lisa,x
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously my reply is massively out of date now, but RMB10k in Shanghai is not a living wage. For anyone coming across this thread in future, health insurance is very important. Health care in Shanghai is very expensive. A minimum bottom line in Shanghai is about 20k and let's not forget the high rate of tax in China.

E85k sounds like a director-level salary and you would need a tax-efficient contract and a car and driver. Don't underestimate the importance of a car and driver. You're probably already there now. The housing allowance, education, medical costs, and flights home can be tax deductible if they're in your contract.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Father Jack

E85k sounds like a director-level salary and you would need a tax-efficient contract and a car and driver. Don't underestimate the importance of a car and driver. You're probably already there now. The housing allowance, education, medical costs, and flights home can be tax deductible if they're in your contract.
Thanks for your reply....but we've just been to Oz to validate our perm. res. visas! So China is off now! I wasn't sure I could live there to be honest, I've a few issues that I couldn't ignore with the country....so change of plans!! Thanks again, Lisa
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I bet if you'd've got the E85k you'd be laughing all the way to the bank now.

The other thing I'd say is that 12 month contracts don't necessarily give you 'non resident for tax purposes' in the UK and you might find yourself paying double tax or whatever.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

Hello - I am new to this forum.

I am currently living in the Middle East and looking at (maybe) a move to Shanghai. My husband has had an interview - promising but not yet offered. If offered there are still options in the ME so we just have a few questions to ask about Shanghai should the offer be made and we consider a move.

Firstly - I would also be seeking work at Director/Manager level in HR, Training and Development, Vocational Education, Community Development, Government, Social Services. Are there prospects for expats to be employed in these areas in Shanghai after arrival?

And - my husband noticed that the pollution in Shanghai was pretty obvious on the weekend he was there for the interview. What is the source of the pollution and is it a known cause of allergic reaction/sinusitis/etc. I have really struggled living in the desert and hope to move to a more sinus friendly environment!

Lastly - is there a regular meeting of expat women/ networking within the expat community etc. This has been a great feature of our expat life in Al Ain and has provided us with excellent friendships and much needed support when times have been tough. We have also been able to hold others up when they have needed it. It is nice to be 'linked in' to like minded people - even though my primary purpose is to envelope myself in the local culture and society.

Looking forward to some informative posts from Shanghai
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:24 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dys
Hi there

I currently live in Shanghai. Whether 10k is sufficient really depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to lead out here. You'll be able to survive but don't expect to be living the expat high-life. For example, if you want to rent you'll own apartment you're looking at about minimum of 4k - however you could share for 2k.

Also Shanghai can be very expensive for certain things, especially for drinking in bars. So, if you enjoy a couple of big nights out a week dont expect to see much change from your monthly salary. Eating out ranges from your dirt cheap hole in the wall places to the ridiculously expensive.

What kind of industry do you work in? If you are an expat hire 10k sounds very low indeed. Do you have any scope to negotiate?

DYS
You know what, you can stay at the Fu Chan Hostel for 10 yuan per day above the place where they sell the Cha shu pao. Even this, you can bargain with the people to let you stay for 200RMB per month.

Even if you wanted a better place, you can stay for 40RMB a day at the Hiker's Youth Hostel in Shanghai. Get a Hostelling International card, and you save 5RMB a day there.

I got a watch on Nanjing Road for 10RMB after bargining the lady down. I also bought tissue paper 10 packs for 4RMB that had 10 and sold it for 1RMB each as I saw the Chinese trying to sell these at toilet stalls.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dys
Hi there

DYS
Good summary from dys, I agree. Clerks with a few years experience in SHA earn anything from 1500-5000rmb per month (local Chinese). 10k can be done, but you'll be staying in every night unless you find some nice guy to take you out, which there are plenty! ;-)
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
I bet if you'd've got the E85k you'd be laughing all the way to the bank now.

The other thing I'd say is that 12 month contracts don't necessarily give you 'non resident for tax purposes' in the UK and you might find yourself paying double tax or whatever.
E85k a year?! That's 64000RMB per MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely laughing every minute, especially if your company is paying your tax.
I live here, company covers apartment and tax for me. I don't have any car/driver (personally that's silly, you don't need them here, even our MD refuses to have one), and I don't spend anymore than 7000rmb per month, including going out with my gf a couple of times a week. A couple can easily live in Shanghai on 10000rmb a month if they don't have to pay for their apartment.
Ohhh happy days you will have! :-)
PS - Don't live in a silly expat compound out in Pudong, you might as well go to inner China! Stay somewhere in Puxi side, Jing An district being the nicest.
Have fun in Shanghai, it's a great place.
Pollution? - You don't smell it, just sometimes see a grey haze, but it's better than most cities. It's sunny and blue skies outside today... :-)