One way ticket to Hong Kong

Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:06 am
Just Joined

AshMegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One way ticket to Hong Kong

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Is this common practice? It sounds very odd.
It seems to be... I have had a number of friends go over, and it was done this way with them.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling on a one way ticket nothing to do with being in the EU. I had one way tickets to R.S.A., Saudi,Qatar,Kenya and Iraq. The Airlines are interested in cash income=sale of seats. However with regards to Hong Kong I only ever had return tickets and not for work purposes.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by themajor
Travelling on a one way ticket nothing to do with being in the EU. I had one way tickets to R.S.A., Saudi,Qatar,Kenya and Iraq. The Airlines are interested in cash income=sale of seats. However with regards to Hong Kong I only ever had return tickets and not for work purposes.
Well, my ticket has been bought now. And i hope they let me on the flight on the one way flight.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshMegs
Well, my ticket has been bought now. And i hope they let me on the flight on the one way flight.
You will be OK.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by themajor
You will be OK.
Thank you SO much for all your help!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I will be moving to HK from South Africa (but have a British passport). I have a company who is sponsoring the visa, and will receive the work visa once I land in Hong Kong. But, I need to know if I can leave on my British passport on a one-way ticket, or if I need to have a return ticket?

Thank you!
If its the company providing the one way ticket then ask them to check and confirm. Its their problem.

Last edited by hong_konger; Jul 29th 2015 at 1:31 am.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

You say Cathay is the best?
They used to be the best a few years ago. How they won airline of the year last year heaven only knows. They are still good but not the best.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Is this common practice? It sounds very odd.
Actually it is quite normal.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will have an immigration problem.

As a more general rule, sometimes round trip tickets are as cheap or cheaper than one way. People often are advised to get a roundtrip and book the return 6-9-12 months away if possible. Then either skip the return or pay $100 USD to move it to a date they might need. If you have family 'back home' having this potential ticket that you could move in an emergency situation is actually kind of valuable.

Good luck and welcome to HK.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

When you arrive you will get a temporary visa for 6 months, during which time you will need to apply for your full visa otherwise you will need to take the Hydrofoil to Macao so that you can re-enter and get another 6 month visa all the same day.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you get to Hong Kong ok ?