One ancient HK ex-pat

Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:54 am
Just Joined

daiwai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One ancient HK ex-pat

I arrived in HK for the first time in September 1977 with wife and two kids for a three year contract. As we were driven from the old airport through the suburbs by my new boss I looked at green mold on the sides of white buildings, and thought 'this is the worst mistake of my life' in fact it was one of the best decisions of my life and we had a ball - but it did take a bit of settling in!

as I read these 'discussions' now they are fascinating but describe a HK that I am no longer familiar with and I would get lost in so easily. The MTR was being built during my stay and the Star Ferry a great refreshing trip from Kowloon to HK. It took me at least 10years to 'get HK out of my system' as my family kept reminding me!

Found the Indigenous people reserved but very helpful and we ate on street corners at midnight and danced at the Governors Ball! Happy memories - is the new better than the old?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:08 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One ancient HK ex-pat

Hi...just to say to the forum.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiwai

is the new better than the old?
I worked there first in 1978 and last in 1999.

IMO the old and new HK cannot and shouldn't be compared.

They are like two different countries although some stuff does remain the same.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:52 am
Just Joined

well there were of course many things that could have been improved on in the 70's but having spent a few hours scrolling google on the history of HK - some concerned Hong Kongers often Indigenous are saying that the older HK and it's history has in fact been obliterated by the new. The other grave concern now of course is that this is being controlled and fueled by China?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:03 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Could say this about many places. Not just HK. If you looked at most cities in the UK and compared them over 40 years there would be a lot of changes, physical and lifestyle.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

yep true - guess I'm just a nostalgic old fart for old honkers and that's not even talking about the expats of the 1950's
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiwai
The other grave concern now of course is that this is being controlled and fueled by China?
Yes because we all know how wonderful the UK is at running its own country !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Yes because we all know how wonderful the UK is at running its own country !!!!!!!!!!!
true - it probably ran HK much better when it did then it's own turf.