Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Newly qualified Radiographer moving to HK

Newly qualified Radiographer moving to HK

Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified Radiographer moving to HK

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Serious?? How do you keep awake for 24 hours? Anyway, best of luck with the job.
presumably by being on site for 24 hours and a spare shelf being available in a store cupboard somewhere ??

sounds like some tours in the navy of years gone by but nowadays..

you won't see the administrators doing 10mins more than their normal 9-5
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

The_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really nice
Default Re: Newly qualified Radiographer moving to HK

Originally Posted by acdenmark
Hi Again,

I have seen posting on a webpage called jobsdb.com and for part 2 diagnostic radiographers the salary offered was around 28.000 for 5 day working week (lots of places here have 6 day working week). I had a bit of a hassle with the radiographers board because of my Danish Bachelor degree although it is all written in English. I would sent in all my paperwork and then get a letter back that I had to specify some of it - and have it certified by my school back in Denmark which of course took ages and then I would sent it again and be asked for something else - this continued for a while back in 2006 when I first got here. I finally decided that I might as well just do the Master here (it is really good by the way!) so I withdrew my application again.I resubmitted it in January this year (right after I graduated) and same thing happened although I graduated from a Hong kong university (you would think that was a straight ticket to an authorization right!) but NOPE, more paperwork to fill out. It is pretty straight forward but I had to split up my hours to specify how many hour I had i anatomy and how many i physiology becáuse those two were taught as one subject. I do think yours will be a lot easier since you have British papers. However, the Radiographers board only meet every 3 months approximately so if your authorization was not granded around Aug 4th (last meeting) then it might still be a while!!
Probably a good idea to go with the accomondation they offer at the hospital to start with and then look around some areas once you are here to see where you want to live. Shatin is a big area with lots of apartments and highrises and a VERY big shoppingmall with movies etc. However if you like nature and sailing you may want to look around Sai Kung (30 min by minibus) or if you want really busy HK Mongkok might be your thing since you are single. HK island (wanchai, central,etc party area) will be a bit too far to comute every day. But look up the MTR stations (KCR-RAIL) and any stop on this line is pretty close to shatin. I will ask around to see how the single guys/girls live and let u know.

The hospital is pretty nice and busy!! My son was admitted and CT-scan there one year ago and one of my fellow students did the scan. There are some nice staff in the department and at least one of them has really good English. They have a good reputation and they are a teaching hospital.

As for cantonese - the university near Shatin offers classes in Cantonese 15 hours per week (around 20.000 hk$ for one semester) morning from9.30 - 12.30 - this is an option if u can afford to come out early on a student visa otherwise they do have evening classes as well once or twice a week at a cheaper price! Tones are really difficult to grasp and you need to just drill them to get your mouth to do it (we seriously lack muscles to do it initially). You can buy a book with cds and it may be a good option. I gave up learning on my own - too bloody difficult.

I am actually only part 2 as well. I graduated in 2005 in Denmark and worked 6 months before I moved here. I then did a quick contract in Greenland in 2006 for 3 months and I have not worked since - only studied.

If you like hiking there are actually tons of amazing trails all over hong kong and believe it or not HK has some pretty great beaches (look up tai long wan , Hap Mun Bay and Trio Beach).

anyway, hope you get your paper-work sorted out soon

Christina
Hey Christina,

Your problems with registering are not uncommon to mine. I applied in July, and I have had it back a few times because my name on my certificate did not match that of my passport. A stauatory declaration form and a few visits to the solicictors later and I have recieved a letter to say its being proccessed My flight is being booked for 28th. eeep!

Thanks for all of the info re. different areas it's very helpfull and appreciated. I have been eyeing up Sai Kung, it looks like a beautiful weekend escape. As for the language, Im not one to give up lightly, I will look at classes when I arrive.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Jim.

P.s. BakedBean. I guess i'll find the solution to that problem when I'm about to fall asleep. And Yes, Domino, a shelf will suffice, as long as there is a book or two to implement as a pillow. I'll get neck ache else